Question about an old school stern sound bite

Bark

Hey Now!
Oct 15, 2008
Frederick, MD
Back in the WXRK era, there was a Baba Booey insulting sound bite that sounded like Walter Matthau singing, "Monkey boy. Horse-tooth creature from the jungle, Monkey boy."

Does anyone remember that one? What's the back story? Was it really Walter Matthau singing about Gary? Was it someone who just sounded like Walter Matthau singing about Gary? Was it Walter Matthau singing about another horse-tooth jackass?

I have no idea why that little snippet popped into my head, but it did.

VinnyM27

Oct 14, 2008
I always thought that was a Sal bit...

I want to say that, too. Almost could have sworn I heard the first time they played it on MTT or something. Not sure where the idea of Walter Mathu came from, but maybe you know more than I do.

I wish Fred had a show where he would just talk about great old soundbites. Sadly, there are a lot that they don't play anymore but sometimes they come back into rotation (just like old songs). For example "You want to eat me?" That one was so funny but I'm not sure if they ever played it on Sirius. Maybe Fred pitched it back in the terrestrial days because it got to be to dirty for their dumber FCC standards.

Oren

Oct 13, 2008
NE NJ
Back in the WXRK era, there was a Baba Booey insulting sound bite that sounded like Walter Matthau singing, "Monkey boy. Horse-tooth creature from the jungle, Monkey boy."

Does anyone remember that one? What's the back story? Was it really Walter Matthau singing about Gary? Was it someone who just sounded like Walter Matthau singing about Gary? Was it Walter Matthau singing about another horse-tooth jackass?

I have no idea why that little snippet popped into my head, but it did.

I remember it. You described it well.

I THINK it was a prank phone call (from not someone on the show) and Fred replayed it.

Bark

Hey Now!
Oct 15, 2008
Frederick, MD
I want to say that, too. Almost could have sworn I heard the first time they played it on MTT or something. Not sure where the idea of Walter Mathu came from, but maybe you know more than I do.

I wish Fred had a show where he would just talk about great old soundbites. Sadly, there are a lot that they don't play anymore but sometimes they come back into rotation (just like old songs). For example "You want to eat me?" That one was so funny but I'm not sure if they ever played it on Sirius. Maybe Fred pitched it back in the terrestrial days because it got to be to dirty for their dumber FCC standards.

I don't know any more than you. The guy just sounds like Walter to me.

Oren

Oct 13, 2008
NE NJ
Thanks. It's easy to describe it when it keeps bouncing around inside your head!

lol! I've been thinking about it since you mentioned it!

You should email Fred and ask. He'll remember.

Not sure what Fred's email address is, but it's public because fans email him all the time.