Netflix and the Xbox

Mopar86

Oct 10, 2008
Chicago
www.tss-radio.com
I went to a friends house who had it, and i recommend it to anyone without any doubt. He had nothing but great things to say about it. Unfortunately my xbox doesn't have the compatible system(i bought a really early batch that does not support it) but i plan on selling it to buy a newer one with it.

Sirius Rich

Oct 11, 2008
Houston
Any of you seen this?

Blockbuster Online-BLOCKBUSTER ONDEMAND

Looks interesting.

I wonder which one will have the best PQ?

Netflix for $8/month affords one DVD at a time with unlimited online viewing, one user at a time or $16/mo for three DVD's at a time and unlimited online viewing three users at a time (Xbox at school, Mom at home and me on the road)

Blockbuster is $99 to get the free player and free 25 rentals then $1.99 per rental. the player is a single purpose unit.

Someone else get the scalpel out, my hands are shaking too much to make the cut.

HomieG

Oct 13, 2008
Doing this with the Roku Netflix box (and soon my Series 3 HD TiVo). Dumped cable back in March. Get locals with an antenna. It's great, and we're saving a ton of money each month, and the aggravation of dealing with the cable company idiots.

SISO

Oct 11, 2008
good 'nuff for me cause you hate everything ;)

All kidding aside, what plan did you go with? I am thinking the $8/month deal.

Yes, I am on the $8 a month plan.

PQ is pretty good on all the movie's I've seen. Some are in HD. Which some I'm not sure.

squigy0

Oct 14, 2008
Baltimore, MD
squigy0.ch00ns.com
Good picture quality, a little bit of choppiness if a lot's changing in a scene (i.e. high action or camera panning), but I've experienced no buffer or sound issues so far.

Selection isn't as good as it could be yet, as a lot of movies are not available for instant viewing. Starz Play is the best way to search movies that are available for instant viewing so far because everything in that category is available for the feature.

I've got eh $8/month which is the cheapest you can get.

hexagram

Medicinal & Recreational.
Oct 11, 2008
Seattle, WA
Some are in HD. Which some I'm not sure.

On the Netflix website, go to "Watch Instantly" and under "Genres" there is an option that says "HD". You will then see a list that shows what is available in HD.

A neat feature I noticed, if you're on your Xbox in the Netflix menu and you add a title or shuffle something around on your PC, it will automagically update itself on the Xbox and go to the title you just added.

Mopar86

Oct 10, 2008
Chicago
www.tss-radio.com
Just bought a Xbox360 Pro, and linked my Netflix account to it. I love it! I used to use my laptop and VGA cable to watch netflix on my TV, but it never looked that good and it would clip a lot. But I watched two movies last night and a couple of TV shows this morning(cuz I was so excited I woke up early to watch it more!) and it plays the movies full screen and it looked like I was watching a DVD, it never clipped or skipped. I haven't tried HD, but I will tonight.....

Anybody have any good HD movies to suggest?

memebag

Top Brass, ADVP
Oct 11, 2008
Lake Huntzing
Last week I watched the first two seasons of "30 Rock". It was in 720p. The Netflix service via the Xbox is very well done.

sgip2000

Oct 16, 2008
Hillsboro, OR
I've watched a few episodes of "The Office" that looked as good as they did when they aired in HD on NBC.

The only thing I don't like about the 360/Netflix setup is that you cannot search for new content on the 360. You have to add it via PC then it is available on the 360.

Mopar86

Oct 10, 2008
Chicago
www.tss-radio.com
I've watched a few episodes of "The Office" that looked as good as they did when they aired in HD on NBC.

The only thing I don't like about the 360/Netflix setup is that you cannot search for new content on the 360. You have to add it via PC then it is available on the 360.

Yea, that is a bit of a bother. I wish it had like a feed you could select. Like if you wanted new releases, they would show up there automatically. Full browsing would be greatly appreciated.

memebag

Top Brass, ADVP
Oct 11, 2008
Lake Huntzing

Blame Microsoft. If they would allow a browsed on the 360 we could do that. I could also browse over to my DNS-323 network storage device, add bittorrents to for it to download and serve from its UPnP server. Then the Xbox 360 and the DNS-323 would make a standalone internet video service, no need for a PC.

Mopar86

Oct 10, 2008
Chicago
www.tss-radio.com
I'm trying not to start another thread just for this, so I'll just ask you folks. What do you think of upgrading from the Xbox360 component cables to HDMI. I have a Westinghouse 32in LCD 720p w/HDMI. Do you guys think it would be a worthwhile investment? And if so does anyone have a good suggestion on brands of HDMI cables?