Just got a Blackberry Tour

limegrass69

Confused
Oct 12, 2008
New York
I had been running into memory issues with my BB 8830 resulting in relatively frequent reboots. That device has a well documented memory leak.

In any case, once the Tour (9630) hit the streets, I had to pick one up. I was due for an upgrade anyway. I really wanted to stay with Verizon Wireless since their coverage is so good around here.

So far so good. The device has a load of memory. The processor is super fast. It is probably the most solidly built device I've ever owned (except for a Motorola StarTac). I've only had it for 1 day, so I'm getting used to the nuances of the device.

The one thing that sucks a little is that Blackberry is moving from mini USB plugs to micro USB. So all of those nice accessories from the 8830 are more or less garbage (I picked up a converter, but still...it's a pain in the ass).

I give it a thumbs up. I'll update the thread as I work with it some more.

limegrass69

Confused
Oct 12, 2008
New York
Supposedly the plan is to "standardize" all mobile charging ports to micro-USB. I'm not sure how that's being embraced by the mobile phone industry considering how they screw you on the accessories.

TSS Taylor

DRC Fan
Oct 9, 2008
Chicago, IL
www.tss-radio.com
I just got mine on Saturday. I should take a cameraphone pic of itself in the mirror. LOL
I'm digging it. I had a World Edition BB and I really wanted to have a cameraphone. The web browsing on this is so much better, faster especially that it's like it has a mouse in the trackball. Whereas before it would just go from link to link this one you can use the trackball to click where you want on the browser.

I feel it eats battery life up a bit faster though.

It came loaded with icons for things like facebook, instant messenger programs and stuff so you don't have to seek out as much of those applications, just click the icon and officially download them.

Biaviian

Nov 17, 2008
The mouse type thing came with the new BB software upgrade. At least it did for the Pearl anyway.

limegrass69

Confused
Oct 12, 2008
New York
The mouse type thing came with the new BB software upgrade. At least it did for the Pearl anyway.

Yes that's correct. v4.5 of the OS had the new browser,with the pointer, but you were stuck with the slower processor and lack of memory on the 8830.

The 3.2 MP camera phone on the Tour is superb. I am a photographer, and I was very surprised as to the quality of the photos. It's no substitute for a camera, but it's great if you are on the go and want to take a few quick snaps.

I'm still evaluating the battery life, but I am more or less in your camp with the battery consumption. It does seem to be power hungry. When I have a chance, I'll take a look at what's actually running in the background and see if I can optimize that a bit more.

A lot of folks have bitched about the icons you mention. They are pushed out via a service book, and there's no way to delete them. If you do, they eventually find their way back to the phone. You can hide them, however. I created a "Junk" folder, moved the icons I did not need into it, then hid the folder.

blueneon36

Mar 10, 2009
Pittsburgh
I have a Curve 8330 with OS 4.5. Its a really good phone, but I wish I had the new Tour.

That phone looks so much better and has more memory.

If the Tour is still around next year, I may upgrade early if possible.

I will buy a Tour or a Palm Pre for my next phone.

limegrass69

Confused
Oct 12, 2008
New York
I think the next devices you'll see on Verizon will be the new Storm touch screen, and a new "consumer level" device to replace the curve.

The Tour, which is a world phone, is supposed to be geared more towards the business segment and is regarded as the replacement for the under resourced 8830WE. The only thing the Tour is missing, IMHO, is wifi.

AT&T is rumored to be getting an upgraded Bold that combines the physical keyboard with a touch screen. A new T-Mobile device (8520) just dropped on T-Mo with a track pad instead of a track ball...which appears to be where RIM is heading.

tsave31

Dec 16, 2008
The trackpad curve that T-Mobile is dropping will be hitting Verizon as well, so I hear. It has WiFi and all future Blackberry devices on Verizon are to be equipped with WiFi (finally!).

I currently have a Storm and am waiting for the Storm2 to come out in November. I'm undecided if I will make the switch. I'll have to see on the new/updated features.

MM

Administrator
Oct 9, 2008
New England
Congrats on the new Tour. :)

I was deciding between the Tour and Storm, and ended up with the Storm.

You should take a look at Crackberry. I found many, many great tips and themes there. Also, I found a few good apps from there as well.

limegrass69

Confused
Oct 12, 2008
New York
The trackpad curve that T-Mobile is dropping will be hitting Verizon as well, so I hear. It has WiFi and all future Blackberry devices on Verizon are to be equipped with WiFi (finally!).

I currently have a Storm and am waiting for the Storm2 to come out in November. I'm undecided if I will make the switch. I'll have to see on the new/updated features.

From what I've read, on the Storm 2 they've done away with the Sure Type where you'd need to press down on the screen for it to register, in favor of a more traditional touch screen. Plus, I think they've all but given up on trying to resolve some of the quirks in the Storm's OS in favor of the new device. I hear the recent OS update did make a big improvement in the Storm.

I'm really liking the Tour. Wifi would have been cool, but I got a Network Extender at home (where I have no coverage), so I'm good.

DAB

Mod Emeritus
Oct 9, 2008
Louisiana
Well congrats on the new toys. I freaking love new toys! I think one of the big problems with Blackberry these days is too damn many choices. Sometimes when you give folks too many choices, they just go in a totally different direction. Since Verizon is pretty much 3G everywhere I suppose not having the Wifi would be acceptable. For me being in many areas on AT&T where it is still just 2G, Wifi is a necessity.

Enjoy your toy and do keep us posted as you continue to use and learn it. I may not own one, but I do like reading up on them. One example of that is I would have never dreamed this day and time that you'd release a new phone without Wifi?

limegrass69

Confused
Oct 12, 2008
New York
The worst thing about a new "toy" is that I become obsessed with it for a couple of weeks. I need to get all my apps loaded and the settings just the way I like it. My wife gets pissed because of all the time I spend with it.

A few things I'll caution people considering the Tour... If you have an older BB device, don't assume the application you have running on there will work with the Tour. Ensure that the application is compatible, or risk nuking your device. Also, there are not too many accessories out there yet...but they are coming. Finally, you are stuck with the stock theme that comes with the device. They have not yet released the tools to developers to create custom themes...again, they say this is coming soon.

DAB

Mod Emeritus
Oct 9, 2008
Louisiana
The worst thing about a new "toy" is that I become obsessed with it for a couple of weeks. I need to get all my apps loaded and the settings just the way I like it. My wife gets pissed because of all the time I spend with it.

Oh hell being obsessive compulsive for a 2 or 3 weeks is half the fun! I do that crap all the time. iPhone, Mac Book Pro and my latest Mac Mini. Tear them apart, put them back together, learn the OS. It just goes on and on!