2018 Movies & Tv Shows

IdRatherBeSkiing

Sherbet is NOT and NEVER WILL BE ice cream.
Oct 11, 2008
Toronto, ON
Last night I saw "Herditary", a new horror film that is supposed to be really scary. It's 93% fresh on Rotten Tomatoes right now. Alamo Drafthouse hooked people up to heart rate monitors and claims they went into the 160+ range.

I wore my own HRM to last night's screening. Average 75, peaked at 85 at the end, but I think that's because I needed to pee. It wasn't scary or good. I'm reading reviews this morning trying to figure out why so many critics like this film.

The previews looked scary enough. The guy looking at his reflection with a different face was kind of creepy in the previews.

memebag

Top Brass, ADVP
Oct 11, 2008
Lake Huntzing
Last night a Meme Girl and I saw "Solo". I loved it. It's my third favorite Star Wars movie ever. No idea why it isn't selling more tickets.

memebag

Top Brass, ADVP
Oct 11, 2008
Lake Huntzing
The previews looked scary enough. The guy looking at his reflection with a different face was kind of creepy in the previews.

Yeah, the trailers looked very good. Creepy mom making creepy doll houses, creepy girl cutting off bird heads, creepy boy looking at his creepy reflection. It has some interesting segments, but it's just a big mess. Nothing in the plot was "hereditary". The family is a little dysfunctional, but nothing you wouldn't see in a Lifetime movie.

JHDK

Release Robin's Bra
Oct 11, 2008
Hyrule
Last night a Meme Girl and I saw "Solo". I loved it. It's my third favorite Star Wars movie ever. No idea why it isn't selling more tickets.

Which original does it beat in your book? Hope or Return? It couldn't possibly beat Empire, right?

JHDK

Release Robin's Bra
Oct 11, 2008
Hyrule
Saw Game Night and it was better than I expected. All the twists were purposely silly and that made them fun. It was cool to see Kyle Chandler and Jason Bateman play brothers. I always confuse those 2 actors and I guess I'm not the only one. Good casting there. Also, Jesse Plemons makes any movie he's in better and that certainly held true with this one.

Reactions: HecticArt

memebag

Top Brass, ADVP
Oct 11, 2008
Lake Huntzing
Which original does it beat in your book? Hope or Return? It couldn't possibly beat Empire, right?
I liked "Solo" better than "Return of the Jedi".

1. A New Hope
2. Empire Strikes Back
3. Solo
4. Return of the Jedi
5. Rogue One
6. The Force Awakens
7. The Last Jedi
8, 9, 10: Those other ones.

Richard Brody wrote a negative review of "Solo" in the New Yorker with this line:

The tropes and twists of shamelessly recycled clichés are presented throughout with an absurd earnestness.

That's what the franchise is. Lucas wanted to give kids a feature film equivalent to the Saturday matinee serials he grew up with. He stole mercilessly from westerns, WWII films, samurai films and low budget sci-fi, but applied big budget special effects to make it all convincing. Any Star Wars film that isn't an earnest presentation of recycle clichés isn't being true to the original goal.

Wolf

Oct 11, 2008
Phoenix
I'm not creating a 2019 thread yet. How To Train Your Dragon: The Hidden World comes out March 1st, 2019.

Wolf

Oct 11, 2008
Phoenix
On Sunday I watched quite a few movies. But they were mainly on Netflix and they all sucked but one.

The Week of - 1/5
Two fathers with opposing personalities come together to celebrate the wedding of their children. They are forced to spend the longest week of their lives together, and the big day cannot come soon enough.

Stars Adam Sandler and Chris Rock a long drawn out boring movie.

47 Meters Down - 3.5/5
Young sisters Kate and Lisa and travel to Mexico for a vacation filled with sun, fun and adventure. Lisa needs some extra persuasion when Kate suggests that they go diving in shark-infested waters. Safe in their protective cage, the thrill-seeking siblings come face to face with a group of majestic great whites. Their worst fears soon become a reality when the cage breaks away from their boat, sending them plummeting to the ocean floor with a dwindling supply of oxygen.

The whole movie was good towards the ending until they had an alternative ending which f'ed up the movie.

The BFG - 1/5
Ten-year-old Sophie is in for the adventure of a lifetime when she meets the Big Friendly Giant (Mark Rylance). Naturally scared at first, the young girl soon realizes that the 24-foot behemoth is actually quite gentle and charming. As their friendship grows, Sophie's presence attracts the unwanted attention of Bloodbottler, Fleshlumpeater and other giants. After traveling to London, Sophie and the BFG must convince Queen Victoria to help them get rid of all the bad giants once and for all.

BFG was more like Big F'in Giants and one of Steven Spielberg worst films.

Milk - 4/5
In 1972, Harvey Milk (Sean Penn) and his then-lover Scott Smith leave New York for San Francisco, with Milk determined to accomplish something meaningful in his life. Settling in the Castro District, he opens a camera shop and helps transform the area into a mecca for gays and lesbians. In 1977 he becomes the nation's first openly gay man elected to a notable public office when he wins a seat on the Board of Supervisors. The following year, Dan White (Josh Brolin) kills Milk in cold blood.

This film won quite a few awards back in 2009, based on the true story of Harvey Milk. This film was interesting and sad at the ending, but it was fantastic.

JHDK

Release Robin's Bra
Oct 11, 2008
Hyrule
The BFG isn't terrible. I'd be more generous with a 2.5/5

Milk is a really good movie. Easily a 4 or 4.5/5. They don't get into it in the movie but the guy who killed him (and he also killed the mayor) is the same guy who tried to go with the Twinkie defense in court. Bonkers.

Twinkie defense - Wikipedia

Dan White - Wikipedia

Wolf

Oct 11, 2008
Phoenix
Today I had some free time and I finally watch The Big Lebowski and that film is worst then Pulp Fiction. Even though the movie had a storyline, unlike Pulp Fiction which was all over the place. The film has a great cast and was good in the beginning. I'm glad I finally watched it, but I doubt I will ever see it again. I give 2/5.