Your local FM market

HecticArt

Administrator
Oct 19, 2008
Toledo, Ohio
I tuned in about an hour ago on line.
Pretty cool alt station. I'm digging it!
Hopefully they start telling you what song is playing soon.

Thanks Argji! Good find!

Steel Cranium

Nov 12, 2008
NorthEast Ohio
Same here, but listened for about 6 hours last night (until about 2:00am) while working. Why can't a pay service like Sirius program something like this. It wasn't quite XMU/left of center due to playing some older stuff mixed in with a few less obscure alt favorites (better IMO). Was very listenable over a fair length of time. Would have started hearing replays on alt nation within the 6-hour period.

Better sound quality and knowing what is being played will make things better. Bookmarked for later listening.

Argji

Oct 14, 2008
Oklahoma City, OK
Glad you like it guys! The Spy is how I was really introduced into all the cool Alt music (both old and new) and it is nice that it is back.
We sought out Satrad when the station was originally taken off the air. I love my satellite, but it is great to have a local outlet now with deep tracks.

I think they are just getting off the ground and will hopefully make improvements to the feeds. From what I understand the station is a work in progess led by the
DJ of the former station who bought it from Citadel.

For now I found this website -

yes.com

In the search for stations field if you type in "KINB", it will pull a playlist. It's not
complete and I have no idea how this website works, but it can give you at least
some of what is played.

Jon

Dec 16, 2008
Stations in the Denver/Boulder/Aurora Market: (via Radio-Locator):

The bold ones are the ones I actually listen to somewhat regularly when I'm not on Slacker or Pandora or my iPod

KVOD 88.1 Classical
KGNU 88.5 Public Radio
KCME 88.7 Classical (can't be picked up in the Denver market since it's in Colorado Springs and the interference from KGNU, 80 miles down the road, not sure why it's even listed here)
KUVO 89.3 Jazz
KXWA 89.7 Christian Contemporary
KCFR 90.1 NPR/Public Radio
KTLF 90.5 Religious
KLDV 91.1 Christian Contemporary (K-LOVE)
KUNC 91.5 Public Radio/NPR (Greeley, Colorado about 45 miles north, but it gets a signal here)
KJMN 92.1 Hispanic
KWOF 92.5 Country
KTCL 93.3 Alternative (Was a very good station in the days when it was based in Fort Collins and played stuff no one else would, now it's a Clear Channel owned POS).
KILO 94.3 Rock
KRKS 94.7 Religious
KPTT 95.7 Urban Contemporary
KXPK 96.5 Regional Mexican (Was at one time another damn good, alternative station along the lines of a cross between XMU, The more alternative stuff on a station like the Loft, and First Wave, now, well...)
KBCO 97.3 Adult Album Alternative (Another one that broke a lot of artists careers in this area, and was playing the likes of Melissa Etheridge before anyone else was, at least in this region, again owned by Clear Channel).
KYGO 98.5 Country
KQMT 99.5 Classic Rock (Started off real promising, with Deep Tracks and knowledgeable DJ's who knew their stuff, now they fired most of the good DJ's and went all-hits)
KIMN 100.3 Hot AC (A station not NEAR deserving of these heritage call letters, the OLD KIMN was on 950 on the AM dial and played oldies for a lot of years before giving way to classic country and eventually sports talk on that frequency. Ironically enough, 950 is NOW a true oldies station, don't know why they don't switch these calls there since it would make a lot more sense, instead of having them on a station that plays Nickelback and Matchbox Twenty every hour on the hour).
KOSI 101.1 Adult Contemporary (One that always gets ratings in the top 3 in the market, but is a nice cure for insomnia since they still play Celine Dion, Kenny G, etc. Ratings I believe are based on accidental listeners in doctor's offices and most workplaces since this is a PPM market).
101.5 KTNI (Listed as alternative, and was a very good alternative station at one time (think the OLD XMU) but didn't have the signal to support it, and the strongest signal area was out in the boonies where are farmlands are, it's now Glenn Beck-istan, home of conservative right-wing talk) Before it was Alternative, it was a fantastic americana station, but again, the signal wouldn't allow it to succeed.
103.5 KRFX Classic Rock. Rolling Stones, Lynyrd Skynyrd, Alice Cooper, Lather, Rinse, Repeat.
104.3 KKFN Sports. Was smooth Jazz but went sports when the local station (formerly on 950) decided it might be a nice idea to go FM. It was the flagship station of the Nuggets and Avalanche when it was on AM, once it was on FM, that all changed.
105.1 KXKL Oldies - Was true oldies, for the most part, now it's the 'greatest hits of all time' with stuff like Foreigner and Blondie, another regurgitated Classic Rock station.
105.5 KJAC - JACK FM, not much more needs to be said.
105.9 KALC - Hot AC. Was a fun station to listen to in it's early days, my favorite show was the Lost 80's lunch, where they went deep in the archives to find some hidden gems. Now it's another Hot AC station playing Nickelback over and over.
106.7 KBPI - Active Rock. Another Heritage station that became a shadow of itself once Clear Channel bought them.
107.5 KQKS Hip Hop - Even calling it Hip-Hop (at least TRUE hip-hop) would be wrong, but it does well in the ratings and the Denver Market is about as unoriginal as it gets when it comes to formats, so it's not going anywhere soon.

So if you're coming to town, be sure to bring your SL2 or your iPod.

And you'll notice, out of all those stations, only 4 are highlighted. That's about the extent of what I listen to when I'm not on one of my Internet radio services. And it's also the reason I may well return to SiriusXM one day.

blueneon36

Mar 10, 2009
Pittsburgh
"B-94" WBZW in Pittsburgh Being Dumped in Favor of 93.7 The Fan

Another CBS owned Pittsburgh Station is flipping formats again for the 3rd time in 4 years.

Numerous local news outlets report that 93.7 FM will soon become "93.7- The Fan", which will be an "All Sports, All the Time" style of FM Station.

First, WAMO (Urban) gets sold to a Catholic Ministry, and now B-94 (Top-40) Flips again for the second time, this time right back to FM talk.

FM Radio is in serious decline in Pittsburgh. If visiting, I would definitely recommend bringing your Sirius or XM unit, or prepare for boredom!

:zz:

almaniac27

Nov 12, 2008
Kent, Ohio
I grew up in Cincinnati, so I'll do this one first.

WAIF 88.3 FM Interesting community station
WMKV 89.3 FM Owned by a retirement home, so plays big band stuff
WNKU 89.7 FM Great Adult Album Alternative station
WGUC 90.9 FM Classical
WVXU 91.7 FM NPR
WOFX 92.5 FM Crappy classic rock
WAKW 93.3 FM Bible thumping and Jesus songs
WNNF 94.1 FM Used to be a Mix station, now seems to not know what it wants to be
WREW 94.9 FM Used to be a pretty decent alternative station, but the Mormons changed it to all '80s crap.
WFTK 96.5 FM Used to be country, then talk, now a jock rocker
WYGY 97.3 FM Country
WOXY 97.7 FM Former home of the famed "97X-Bam! The Future of Rock and Roll" before being sold and is now basically an MP3 player with bad music
WRRM 98.5 FM Soft "rock" and Delilah
WHKO 99.1 FM Country. Actually a Dayton station but has a killer signal.
WMOJ 100.3 FM Old R&B
WIZF 101.1 FM Hip-hop
WKRQ 101.9 FM Heritage Top 40
WEBN 102.7 FM Heritage jock rocker
WGRR 103.5 FM "Classic hits"
WNLT 104.3 FM Jesus songs
WUBE 105.1 FM Country
WPFB 105.9 FM Country
WKFS 107.1 FM KISS FM Top 40

As you can see, pretty pathetic. Nothing resembling a decent alternative station, and way too much country.

IdRatherBeSkiing

Sherbet is NOT and NEVER WILL BE ice cream.
Oct 11, 2008
Toronto, ON

No WKRP?

I won't do it. Here is what I know from advertising and my distant memory. Toronto stations only not Buffalo stuff which we also get.

97.3 plays ACC

This used to be called "Easy Rock" playing "Soft Rock". Now it has flipped to "Toronto's Greatest Hits" and they seem to be advertizing it as 80s hits -- sort of another JACK type format.

We usually have at least 1 format flip and/or DJ firings every yearly cycle.

HecticArt

Administrator
Oct 19, 2008
Toledo, Ohio

WAIF 88.3 FM Interesting community station
WMKV 89.3 FM Owned by a retirement home, so plays big band stuff
WNKU 89.7 FM Great Adult Album Alternative station
WGUC 90.9 FM Classical
WVXU 91.7 FM NPR
WOFX 92.5 FM Crappy classic rock
WAKW 93.3 FM Bible thumping and Jesus songs
WNNF 94.1 FM Used to be a Mix station, now seems to not know what it wants to be
WREW 94.9 FM Used to be a pretty decent alternative station, but the Mormons changed it to all '80s crap.
WFTK 96.5 FM Used to be country, then talk, now a jock rocker
WYGY 97.3 FM Country
WOXY 97.7 FM Former home of the famed "97X-Bam! The Future of Rock and Roll" before being sold and is now basically an MP3 player with bad music
WRRM 98.5 FM Soft "rock" and Delilah
WHKO 99.1 FM Country. Actually a Dayton station but has a killer signal.
WMOJ 100.3 FM Old R&B
WIZF 101.1 FM Hip-hop
WKRQ 101.9 FM Heritage Top 40
WEBN 102.7 FM Heritage jock rocker
WGRR 103.5 FM "Classic hits"
WNLT 104.3 FM Jesus songs
WUBE 105.1 FM Country
WPFB 105.9 FM Country
WKFS 107.1 FM KISS FM Top 40

As you can see, pretty pathetic. Nothing resembling a decent alternative station, and way too much country.

I used to love 97.7 back in the day (1991-1993 ish) Blur, the Shaman, NIN, tons of good early alt stuff.

There was a station (I though 106.something) that was alternative back in 95 or 96 or so. They jumped formats pretty often. (Chanel Z?) I'm pretty sure that it switched to crap before I moved back up here (97).

Jon

Dec 16, 2008
Is the 'old' WOXY still Internet only, or did that go away too?

EDIT: Must still be around since they have an iPhone app.

CKLW

Nov 11, 2009
College LP junk
Religious Satellite (non-local)
Local Religious Rock
CC Kiss Top40
Cumulus Oldies Hits
Cumulus Classic Rock
Local Urban Mix
Local Urban HipHop
Cumulus Country
Translator for Religious non-local
CC A/C
Local Religious
rimshot CC Country
CC Classic AOR
Cumulus Hot A/C
Local Sports (the Ticket) simlucast of AM
Local Urban
Fox Sports on AM with excellent brokered weekend music
CC News/Talk on AM
the Ticket local sports on AM
Religious simlucast on 6 stations, 1 on AM, 1 on FM, 4 translators
Daytimer AM w/SuperTalk format (going off air soon)

NOTE: The Fox Sports that plays music (brokered) on Saturday mornings plays a great variety and I would pay money to listen to them - and too bad XM/Siri doesn't have a variety music channel like they do!

IdRatherBeSkiing

Sherbet is NOT and NEVER WILL BE ice cream.
Oct 11, 2008
Toronto, ON
I won't do it. Here is what I know from advertising and my distant memory. Toronto stations only not Buffalo stuff which we also get.

92.5 was JACK now KISS playing today's crap.
93.5 plays today's c-rap (urban).
95.3 plays country.
97.3 plays ACC
98.1 plays ACC
99.1 is the CBC Radio 1
99.9 plays today's crap 24/7
102.1 plays new alternative
103.5 plays today's crap
104.5 plays today's crap
107.1 play's classic rock
107.9 plays either dance or country. They keep flip flopping.

We also have CBC Radio 2 and CBC Radio 3 and some French and foreign language crap here but no idea where.

97.3 now is called BOOM 97.3 and plays 70s, 80s and 90s. Q107 places 'classic hits'. Those are the only 2 FM I listen to at all. Everything else is roughly the same.

Nice bump.

Jon

Dec 16, 2008
Denver radio actually doesn't suck nearly as bad as it did when this thread was still active. Jack FM is gone and there are two new public radio stations that play a good bit of alternative/indie rock. Kinda like a college station but not affiliated with any colleges. A lot of the bands coming from the area probably helped that. Even the Clear Channel stations are somewhat listenable nowadays. The main complaint is there are a bunch of formats missing, no Classic Country, no Smooth Jazz, no Classic R&B (at least not one with any kind of signal strength).