XMP3 DOA or just MIA

DAB

Mod Emeritus
Oct 9, 2008
Louisiana
yhst-67720110273938_2020_16922039.jpg

Gizmode calls it the latest DOA attempt at an Satellite Radio iPod. Some say its almost like a Sirius Stiletto SL2 due to all the RIAA concessions made on it versus the Pionner Inno and previous XM2Go portables. Then there are those that are excited and plan to buy one becauase it can record up to 5 channels at once. What is really strange is that some say they have already purchased one at Best Buy, yet Best Buy.com, Cructchfield.com and even the Pioneer web site itself has all removed any mention of this device. Strange indeed!

If you have one give us a review! If you have some thoughts on this new XM Radio, then by all means share them here.

TSS Taylor

DRC Fan
Oct 9, 2008
Chicago, IL
www.tss-radio.com
I know we will be selling it. I do wonder how many times people will use the recording 5 shows at once feature Versus the WiFi feature. I suspect the WiFi feature on the Stiletto 2 is more sought after.

The only time I would use the 5 Shows at once feature is if I was using it on the SIRIUS service to record the great talk shows they have at 3pm Eastern like Bubba, Covino and Rich, Jay Thomas, Jason Ellis, etc. But since even with the Best of SIRIUS it wouldn't be able to get all those show, I wouldn't do it.

Plus it's kinda hard to catch up on 20 hours of radio per day anyway ;)

DAB

Mod Emeritus
Oct 9, 2008
Louisiana
I like the looks of this radio, but you hit the nail on the head for me. I am so spoiled with the Wifi on my iPod and Stiletto, there is no way right now I'd buy a new one that didn't have wifi. I love the wifi feature.

I wonder what the deal is with all these retailers putting them up and then taking them down?

mynameisjamie

Oct 10, 2008
Chicago, IL
I love wifi anything which is why I am a huge proponent of city wide networks. I do not know why it has taken so long to get to that point.
I think 5 stream are great actually. Maybe a little excessive but if you look at DVR's, dual tuners are awesome for families. Here is an example:
You like to record the news but would prefer to listen to a different show live which you maybe also would like to record. With the XMp3 you can do that.
With DVR there are plenty of times what I wanted to record a show to watch until later while I watched a different show and there are plenty of times that I have wanted to do the same on SatRad.

IdRatherBeSkiing

Sherbet is NOT and NEVER WILL BE ice cream.
Oct 11, 2008
Toronto, ON
Some people on XMFAN have it. They found it at a BB or cruchfield. Pretty scattered availability. Appearantly BB and a couple of big box stores get first kick at the can on this one.

It looks like an SL2 - Wifi for XM. It has all the same concessions that the SL2 has with regards to the RIAA which does not have current Inno users happy.

DAB

Mod Emeritus
Oct 9, 2008
Louisiana
I think if this think would have been A La Carte capable that would have helped it, but from what I understand it is not. Then the missing Wifi, which I know many XM'ers really wanted. It is a good looking radio though and if the screen is as nice as the Delphi ExpressRC it will certainly be sweet.

When I think about any new Sat Radio right now, I just think I should hold off and see what comes to the market when they have some dual chipset (integrated) radio's available. It would be great to have both in a single radio, but then again once they start multi-casting and for the most part music channels will be the same, there will be little purpose to do this.

IdRatherBeSkiing

Sherbet is NOT and NEVER WILL BE ice cream.
Oct 11, 2008
Toronto, ON
I think if this think would have been A La Carte capable that would have helped it, but from what I understand it is not. Then the missing Wifi, which I know many XM'ers really wanted. It is a good looking radio though and if the screen is as nice as the Delphi ExpressRC it will certainly be sweet.

When I think about any new Sat Radio right now, I just think I should hold off and see what comes to the market when they have some dual chipset (integrated) radio's available. It would be great to have both in a single radio, but then again once they start multi-casting and for the most part music channels will be the same, there will be little purpose to do this.

The first interoperable radios are not going to be portables (according to Mel). Sort of a big step back.

DAB

Mod Emeritus
Oct 9, 2008
Louisiana
The first interoperable radios are not going to be portables (according to Mel). Sort of a big step back.

Yeah that does blow, but as this thing settles out the need for a true interoperable portable radio may not be that big of a deal. I assume they will try to get an OEM car units out there first since the factor and dealer installs will be important to continued growth. Though with the car sales tanking right now that isn't helping.

SISO

Oct 11, 2008
I hate to say it but XM should be doing better than this for the price. All of these years and they still can't get the price down on these things??? An iPod 80gig costs the same, yes I know it doesn't play satellite radio but still. Plus they shouldn't be coming out with new radios unless they're alacarte.

Brian

Banned
Oct 12, 2008
I'm holding off on some more reviews and when it becomes available over at XMFan I might buy it. I really don't want to get another radio as my XpressRC is less than a year old and I really do like it, but if it's good enough, fuck it I'll get it.

Brian

Banned
Oct 12, 2008
I think Taylor is going to be selling them at TSS-Radio too.

yeah, but i get away with a lot of silly stuff over on xmfan so i figure i owe it to Ryan for his store to be my first place to get a radio. lulz

I have purchased items from TSS though and have received good service there too.

DAB

Mod Emeritus
Oct 9, 2008
Louisiana
Well it is good to be loyal.

I've never really got into XMFan, even though I am an XM subscriber and have been for 6 or more years. It wasn't that I didn't try, but I just felt more at home at SBS where it never was a big deal that you had both or liked both services. Anyway I applaud your loyalty and hope you will feel as comfortable here as you seem to feel about being there.

Last edited:

DAB

Mod Emeritus
Oct 9, 2008
Louisiana
Well there are a few poeple that have them. I wish we could get one of them her to do a review for us. But I know BB got a couple of them in stock. These were listed on several web site and then without warning were all pulled. I am curious about that!