XM Skydock Sat Radio (Review)

IdRatherBeSkiing

Sherbet is NOT and NEVER WILL BE ice cream.
Oct 11, 2008
Toronto, ON
I don't see the billing and activation systems merging until such time as they merge the spectrum under one system. Financially I think they see this as the wrong move because it would lower the amount of income they have coming in. Clearly a merged billing and activation system would be best for consumers, but at this point not best for Sirius XM's bottom line. That is the reality of it rather we like it or not!

I think you are right but for the wrong reason. Its probably not loss of revenue that they are concerned about but the expense of developing a unified system. I don't think the number of dual subs, given the unification of content, is significant anymore.

DAB

Mod Emeritus
Oct 9, 2008
Louisiana
They're not.

The satellites broadcast 2 different types of signals that require different chipsets to decode. A radio has to have both sets (like the MiRGE) to be able to offer both services.

Actually the only difference is the frequency range in which each service's sats broadcast. It is simply not cost efficient for them to put both chipsets in all tuners going forward, so this is why you still have those that work on Sirius and those that work on XM.

Besides that if they had to do that with the Skydock it would have had to be twice as big because Sirius doesn't have a mini chipset like XM does, which is likely why they picked the XM side to do this Skydock with to begin with.

Also lets be clear that the music channels and most talk is all that has been assimilated together. XM still has some sports that Sirius doesn't have and Sirius still has some Sports that XM doesn't have without doing the BOS. However, there is sports on XM that isn't available on Sirius period (MLB).

DAB

Mod Emeritus
Oct 9, 2008
Louisiana
I think you are right but for the wrong reason. Its probably not loss of revenue that they are concerned about but the expense of developing a unified system. I don't think the number of dual subs, given the unification of content, is significant anymore.

I think it goes deeper than that, I think their two systems are just not compatible at all, so doing a combined system maybe impossible due to the differences in their systems especially in regards to the activations. Then again if your long term plan is to move everything under one system anyway, why would you go through this expense at all? I am sure that there would be some extreme cost in doing this.

However, I still think when you start taking all these subs and combining them in one billing system you are going to lose some subs and your income is reduced. I think we'd all be surprised how many still have dual subs simple because right now that is the equipment they have and they do not wish to go through the person expense of switching equipment to combine them under one side or the other. So, I think you are wrong! So, we can agree to disagree on this one.

None the less lets not take the topic down this road and keep it on the Skydock Review!

roscoryan

DRC Graphics Guru
Oct 13, 2008
Burnsville, MN
Great review DAB! I just got back from a 9-day journey around New England, and I sure wish I would have had one for the trip.

Nonetheless I just placed my order through TSS Radio, and will post my own review later in the week. This might be what gets me excited about satellite radio again!

:cool:

DAB

Mod Emeritus
Oct 9, 2008
Louisiana
Are there any plans for a Skydock that you can connect to your home stereo?

I read there was a skew in the Best Buy inventory system that indicated there would be a Home Skydock, which will work with the iPhone/iPod Touch!

DAB

Mod Emeritus
Oct 9, 2008
Louisiana
How is the PowerConnect? Is it pretty much static free?

I honestly think it depends on your vehicle and the type and location of your antenna. My Scion xB has hidden antenna therefore the reception on it isn't going to be nearly as good as someone with a regular whip antenna.

In my test I did get a little static occasionally, but for the most part is was really clear and the SQ was good. This is much better than what has been available up until this point.

By the way my son has is setup in his car which has a whip antenna and no aux-input, so he uses the PowerConnect. His truck has a whip antenna and he says it works great for him with no problems whatsoever.

So, I don't want to mislead anyone, which is why I say it may depend on the type antenna your particular car/truck has.

DAB

Mod Emeritus
Oct 9, 2008
Louisiana
Great review DAB!
Nonetheless I just placed my order through TSS Radio, and will post my own review later in the week. This might be what gets me excited about satellite radio again!

I Ryan, I look forward to you getting this product and giving us your review. I can tell you this product has certainly sparked a new bit of zeal for sat radio for me. I just love this setup.

SpaceKitty

Nov 21, 2008
I honestly think it depends on your vehicle and the type and location of your antenna. My Scion xB has hidden antenna therefore the reception on it isn't going to be nearly as good as someone with a regular whip antenna.

In my test I did get a little static occasionally, but for the most part is was really clear and the SQ was good. This is much better than what has been available up until this point.

By the way my son has is setup in his car which has a whip antenna and no aux-input, so he uses the PowerConnect. His truck has a whip antenna and he says it works great for him with no problems whatsoever.

So, I don't want to mislead anyone, which is why I say it may depend on the type antenna your particular car/truck has.

Thanks for this. I am going on vacation and gonna head out on the road in one week and was thinking of buying this. My car does have an AUX input plus an iPod connector but I was hoping to leave an iPod connected and use the Skydock with the PowerConnect so I don't have even more wires around (we have a GPS as well). I can always try this out without activating the radio to see how it goes.

DAB

Mod Emeritus
Oct 9, 2008
Louisiana
Thanks for this. I am going on vacation and gonna head out on the road in one week and was thinking of buying this. My car does have an AUX input plus an iPod connector but I was hoping to leave an iPod connected and use the Skydock with the PowerConnect so I don't have even more wires around (we have a GPS as well). I can always try this out without activating the radio to see how it goes.

Yes the good thing about the Skydock setup, you can dock your iPod and then use your own music content to test it out to make sure you'll be satisfied without having to activate it. I hope it works out well for you. Let us know how you make out.

Oct 10, 2008
Chicago
This product is amazing!!!! I used it over the weekend and it does a great job! I was really impressed with the FM transmitter capabilities and how well the signal came in, both for satellite and broadcasting over the FM.

SpaceKitty

Nov 21, 2008
This product is amazing!!!! I used it over the weekend and it does a great job! I was really impressed with the FM transmitter capabilities and how well the signal came in, both for satellite and broadcasting over the FM.

Nice to hear. I'm gonna head down to BestBuy and pick on up in a few hours.

SpaceKitty

Nov 21, 2008
I went out and bought my SkyDock at BestBuy. Had to wait around for 15 minutes just to get some help.

Went out to the car and opened the box right away. Plugged it into each of the two power ports in my car see which one I liked the best. I have one port in the normal lighter location and one in between the shifter and emergency brake. The one by the emergency brake just felt awkward so I moved it to the other one and liked it much better. I drove home listening to the XM preview channel using my FM radio and I was impressed with the sound quality this way. It was loud and crisp with only a few areas with minor static interference.

Got home and decided I would activate it. I tried activating it via my iPhone first but it was too slow so I went in and activated it on my computer. Went back outside and the SkyDock was already activated.

What are my thought?

I LOVE IT!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
I tried taking some photos but it's too dark now for them to show up. I'll take a few tomorrow.

Also, the dock will make this very convenient for when I want to use one of the GPS apps on my iPhone. Built in charger and the sound through my stereo makes this dock unbelievable!!

DAB

Mod Emeritus
Oct 9, 2008
Louisiana
What are my thought?

I LOVE IT!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
I tried taking some photos but it's too dark now for them to show up. I'll take a few tomorrow.

Also, the dock will make this very convenient for when I want to use one of the GPS apps on my iPhone. Built in charger and the sound through my stereo makes this dock unbelievable!!

I TOLD YOU! hehehe

I am really glad that you love it. I do too, this is the best setup I've had in a long time. This morning I got up took it out of my personal vehicle and put it in my company vehicle. So, simple and fast!

Hope this baby catches on with large numbers of iPhone and iPod Touch owners!

Looking forward to your pictures! :)

syphix

Oct 15, 2008
Loving my SkyDock, too...but still a bit peeved at the bounciness of it in my Jeep. I know, it's a Jeep...everything "jiggles". But it's sometimes tough to even read the display as it shakes. I'm trying to think of ways to fasten it down a bit, but still allow it to rotate to landscape mode...

DAB

Mod Emeritus
Oct 9, 2008
Louisiana
Loving my SkyDock, too...but still a bit peeved at the bounciness of it in my Jeep. I know, it's a Jeep...everything "jiggles". But it's sometimes tough to even read the display as it shakes. I'm trying to think of ways to fasten it down a bit, but still allow it to rotate to landscape mode...

Yeah this appears to be an issue with your jeep as I have no issues with mine bouncing around at all. Scion xB's are known for a smooth ride either, but yours must really be bad. I did have to use some super glue on my cig lighter in both my xB's because the insert moved so the Skydock would move from side to side about a 1/8 of an inch. Once I glued it though it now doesn't move at all.

TacoKid

Oct 27, 2008
Euless, TX
www.twitter.com
I'm going to get one A---S---A---P!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Switching from Sirius to XM. I wanted XM w/ MLB until Stern signed with Sirius. Now with BOS, not a problem anymore.

My only conflict, I won't have a PNP radio to use in my home office............

TSS Taylor

DRC Fan
Oct 9, 2008
Chicago, IL
www.tss-radio.com
I'm going to get one A---S---A---P!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Switching from Sirius to XM. I wanted XM w/ MLB until Stern signed with Sirius. Now with BOS, not a problem anymore.

My only conflict, I won't have a PNP radio to use in my home office............

You will love it. Just let me know if you want to go through us. Though I understand the patience factor ;)