XBOX live kills mods

Biaviian

Nov 17, 2008
GM should start using the on-star system to disable cars and trucks outfitted with non GM ECU chips.
How dare a customer want better performance and features than the factory can/will offer?

It's like if Chrysler would disable cars for people who hacked their GPS system so they can use it while moving.

hyson

Forum Jerk
Oct 19, 2008
GM should start using the on-star system to disable cars and trucks outfitted with non GM ECU chips.
How dare a customer want better performance and features than the factory can/will offer?

Most modifications to new vehicles do invalidate it's warranty. lol...

DAB

Mod Emeritus
Oct 9, 2008
Louisiana
It's like if Chrysler would disable cars for people who hacked their GPS system so they can use it while moving.

Well my son's best friend owns an audio shop here locally. I can tell you as a matter of fact that if you try to change the factory radio in many GM models now, that the OnStar and GPS system is totally inactive! So in a sense if you change out some of the equipment they do deactivate other portions of the system, because they do not want you changing that factory radio.

HecticArt

Administrator
Oct 19, 2008
Toledo, Ohio
Took me a while to get to this thread.

Here's my take.

Billy has the right to try to protect his empire. (Why he's worried about the couple of bucks, I don't know, and it isn't really the point.) The point is, if the kids that are hacking their systems are getting shut down by Billy's Game Gestapo, they have to learn to be better hackers. That's what Gates did. He didn't have the internet to teach him how to hack something. He invented the internet. (So to speak) and he's 2 steps ahead of the hackers.

Just my
forum_2f455681_two_cents_small.jpg

Reactions: xan_user

ProperModulation

Green Type of Tube
Oct 11, 2008
California
I was about to post the exact same thing. combating hackers only makes them better hackers as they work to get around the latest roadblocks. And there's a good chance that a lot of those hackers will grow up to be good consumers (i.e. NOT software pirates) and possibly the Bill Gates for the next generation.

However, I would hardly call the affected XBox users "hackers" It's more like a couple of actual hackers who figured it all out, then a bunch of leeching pirates who load their software to play pirated games.

hexagram

Medicinal & Recreational.
Oct 11, 2008
Seattle, WA
meh its just one more reason to sell the whole kit and cancel live. In the end it saves me $ and i have more time with my kids.

See ya! :hw:

Maybe that will teach you not to play a game before the release date. :seeya:

Last edited:

Biaviian

Nov 17, 2008
Well my son's best friend owns an audio shop here locally. I can tell you as a matter of fact that if you try to change the factory radio in many GM models now, that the OnStar and GPS system is totally inactive! So in a sense if you change out some of the equipment they do deactivate other portions of the system, because they do not want you changing that factory radio.

Thanks for letting me know. I will now boycott GM.

xan_user

Banned
Dec 16, 2008
Nor-Cal
See ya! :hw:

Maybe that will teach you not to play a game before the release date. :seeya:

Never.

copies for backups and moving games between two houses.

If they want to crack down on piracy go after those illegally sharing the iso's, but holding kids hostage for protecting their hard earned game money by making backups is just plain wrong.

Goodeye

Oct 16, 2008
Arizona
Anyway... good post thanks! :bigthumbup:

Not a problem man. I'm a indie developer myself still working hard on my game so I'm not one of the big boys but if someone was to pirate my game when it comes out that's completely lost revenue and time wasted. So I kinda know what the big boys would feel like albeit on a smaller scale but still.

Never.

copies for backups and moving games between two houses.

If they want to crack down on piracy go after those illegally sharing the iso's, but holding kids hostage for protecting their hard earned game money by making backups is just plain wrong.

See now you still can play your Xbox and pirated games just sans Xbox LIVE. But see you have no right to complain about any of this. And yes I'm talking to the OP here. When you signed up for Xbox LIVE even for your silver account (if it isn't a gold account) you agreed to the ridiculously long TOS (Terms of Service) in there you agreed to NOT mod your console and to NOT pirate games or run any modified software etc.

Technically that is a binding legal agreement which you broke. You have absolutely no recourse and now your going to sell your console to someone else who now wont be able to connect to LIVE. Let me guess, like most of you hackers who are selling consoles to Gamestop's etc, your not going to tell them either are you?

xan_user

Banned
Dec 16, 2008
Nor-Cal
year.
Let me guess your not going to tell them either are you?

WFT?

...actually now i will pick up a cheapo banned xbox for a good deal as a second box rather than buy new.

Besides paying for live for those times im at my house with satellite internet was a waste anyway. (plus i have small kids, live was really inappropriate for them)

M$ is actually saving me money.

Goodeye

Oct 16, 2008
Arizona
year.

WFT?

...actually now i will pick up a cheapo banned xbox for a good deal as a second box rather than buy new.

Besides paying for live for those times im at my house with satellite internet was a waste anyway. (plus i have small kids, live was really inappropriate for them)

M$ is actually saving me money.

I was just saying you seemed to have this "Holier than thou" attitude towards MS in all of your posts. If you don't need LIVE then go about your business pirating games I'm sorry but I refuse to believe your really modding just to play your backups, and I don't think anyone else here does either, it's the oldest lie in the book regarding modded console's, emulators, etc.

xan_user

Banned
Dec 16, 2008
Nor-Cal
So, guilty until proven innocent?

I have always paid for my use of all non-free M$ products.

Show of hands, who here always drives at or under the posted speed limit?

Biaviian

Nov 17, 2008
I don't think anyone else here does either, it's the oldest lie in the book regarding modded console's, emulators, etc.

You would be dead wrong then. When I modded my original Xbox it was so that I could play backups. When I modded my Wii it was so that I could play DVDs on it. Modding isn't just for pirating. Maybe you should ASSume less.

HecticArt

Administrator
Oct 19, 2008
Toledo, Ohio
You would be dead wrong then. When I modded my original Xbox it was so that I could play backups. When I modded my Wii it was so that I could play DVDs on it. Modding isn't just for pirating. Maybe you should ASSume less.

Through "Fair Use" people should be allowed to make back-ups of their personal property.

MS doesn't have proof of how everybody is using/misusing the consoles. To permanently disable the consoles sounds extreme and rather 1984ish.

I'm not pretending that piracy (yarp) isn't a major problem, I know it is, but it's kind of like MS is shooting someone that's standing outside their house because they look like they are going to come inside to rob them.

PS
Xan isn't anti MS specifically. He's anti establishment. An equal opportunity skeptic. Note his anti Mac threads too.