WTD Special "Punk Party"

Grüpsaar

DRC Forum Bum
Oct 11, 2008
Anytown, WI
www.youtube.com
Alright, decided to open up another thread for a new channel to listen to as we get to the weekend. Of course, you can still keep posting about the other channel(s) in their threads too.

This week, I'm lookin' at my most anticipated channel..:

Punk Party!

I've actually been listening to this off and on since it came on, and I like it a lot. I wish it went deeper in some areas of punk, but I think it is awesome to finally have a punk channel again. Faction does not count.

Offspring, NOFX, Green Day, Blink 182, Sham 69, Ramones, pennywise, a lot of the regular radio 'punk' suspects are here, and even a few of my favorite lesser known (commercially) bands, teenage bottlerocket for example, has a few spins. This channel hasn't really brought any new songs or bands in the punk genre that dont already play on Faction or alt nation or lithium already, it just plays them back to back with other more punk oriented songs rather than mixing in with the other songs on factions, etc.

I hope this changes. I'd like the channel to become its own, instead of just offering up punk songs that were plucked from marky ramones punkrock blitkreig broadcasts. They could play other punk, like descendents, screeching weasel, the lillingtons, the copyrights, methadones, direct hit! Masked intruder, and so on.

There is so much potential for a good punk channel, and the fact that its a 'punk party' channel should not keep it from expanding.

jef

Power Pig, Hello!
Oct 12, 2008
teenage bottlerocket

These guys are fantastic!!

rayray.jpg

Too bad this channel is online only - it might actually have gotten me to listen while in the car more.

Masked intruder

Also a great band - Sirius still needs to learn to loosen up the playlists.

Grüpsaar

DRC Forum Bum
Oct 11, 2008
Anytown, WI
www.youtube.com
I love me some pop punx, thats for sure. I dont run into many people outside of my real life social circle that are aware of TBR and Masked intruder, so thats nice t see. we used to have local punk shows a lot in highschool. plenty of TBR covers over the years, seeing them live is a blast, though!

jef

Power Pig, Hello!
Oct 12, 2008
I love me some pop punx, thats for sure. I dont run into many people outside of my real life social circle that are aware of TBR and Masked intruder, so thats nice t see. we used to have local punk shows a lot in highschool. plenty of TBR covers over the years, seeing them live is a blast, though!

I discovered them while planning for some down time during a trip i was going to be taking to Kansas City last year. The name intrigued me, and the music grabbed me. So I actually caught them here at home a week before the trip, and then again a few days later while in KC. They've been touring like mad crazy and I've seen them three times more since. (Wish I was in Europe now to see them on the Volbeat tour!)

I'm also pretty alone when it come to my music choices on the punk side. I love a lot of genres, and can usually find someone to check out a metal show with me -- but I spend a lot of time alone as punk/alternative shows. Doesn't bother me, though, as seeing a band I love live is almost an unbeatable experience.

In case anyone is interested in the music, check these out.

The Masked Intruder video is great:

Masked Intruder - "I Dont Wanna Be Alone Tonight" (official) - YouTube

And some TBR:

Teenage Bottlerocket "Bigger Than Kiss" - YouTube

Grüpsaar

DRC Forum Bum
Oct 11, 2008
Anytown, WI
www.youtube.com
Hell yeah. TBR was gonna play a show with my friends band here in town a few years back, but then they started doing tours all around the U.S. and didnt have time.

"Stick 'em up" is my fav Masked intruder song, followed by 'wish you were mine'..they are all great though.

Same goes for TBR. Everything from 'Total' to 'Freak out!' they are all good albums.

squigy0

Oct 14, 2008
Baltimore, MD
squigy0.ch00ns.com
Sounds: Hit Punk (while this doesn't necessary mean that it's punk music that got heavy radio airplay, it's songs and groups that even a person that has listened to punk in passing would recognize).

Positives: Uncensored and did a good job of covering punk groups & songs from the 80s, 90s, and today. There wasn't just one song from each group represented.

Negatives: Repetition seems severely high. I listened on two seperate days and heard a handfull of the same songs and fast forwarding through, heard the same song within a 5 hour period

Blastability: Very High...in the car. I don't really hang out with a large crowd of OY-sters who will enjoy sitting around (or raising their fists cursing the man for that matter) to this playing at a party

Overall: It still needs work, and I'm unclear what advantage it serves over just setting Faction mySXM to Some More Old School / No Rap / Lots More Punk, since I did try this for comparison and the playlist was similar but deeper.

Slacker doesn't appear to have a comparable station.