WTD 2013 Special - Tom Petty Radio

Aaron

Oct 10, 2008
South Louisiana
Airing May 17 at 6 pm through May 31 at 3 am ET on SiriusXM 111.

In celebration of Tom Petty and The Heartbreakers' summer 2013 tour, the limited-run Tom Petty Radio will air 24/7 with music from Tom Petty's career, including music with longtime band The Heartbreakers, his solo work, The Traveling Wilburys and music from his first band, Mudcrutch. The channel will also feature live concert material from Tom Petty and The Heartbreakers' recent tours, plus rarely heard vintage performances.

Satellite

SIRIUSaboutXM

DRC Special Contributor
Oct 29, 2008
Anderson, SC
I love it- one of the best pop-up channels ever. Well planned out channel with cool segments from Buried Treasure and playing songs from all of Tom's ventures: the Epics, Mudcrutch, as Charlie T. Wilbury, Jr. of the Traveling Wilburys, solo work and with The Heartbreakers. Also lots of seldom heard live cuts from practically every tour, cool factoids from band members and friends and other tidbits.

Now the bad news- the satellite feed is in mono and unlistenable. Fortunately, I only listen to the internet feed, where you can catch him on:

SXM 111 (Way too loud on this channel!)
SXM 712 Buried Treasure Radio
SXM 714 Limited Engagements 2

MadisonRadio1

MadisonRadio
Oct 17, 2008
Madison, Wisconsin
I listened for an hour last Saturday and will try to listen for an hour this Saturday. Since I don't own any Tom Petty albums, this was all new to me. Other than his hit songs, which I only heard maybe one while I was listening.

Sounds like it was well planned. 3.5 stars

SIRIUSaboutXM

DRC Special Contributor
Oct 29, 2008
Anderson, SC
Not your average Artist Only Channel for sure. I've been hearing Jeff Beck Group, Dr. John, Rascals, The Stones, The Hollies, Small Faces, The Dictators, Nilsson, Roy Orbison, Rod Stewart, Levon Helm & The RCO All-Stars, Stevie Nicks, Byrds, Zombies, Gene Vincent, J.J. Cale, Taj Mahal & Shangri-Las.

And from Michael Campbell's solo project- Blue Stingrays: Land Of The Unknown, Malibu Babylon, Blue Venus, Russian Roulette, Brave New World, Echo Park & Monsoon

SXM scores big with this channel! I give it 4.5 Stars :agree:

wpicha

Oct 14, 2008
Cleveland, OH
4/4 stars. Listened to it while running a half marathon last weekend, and on every morning run since.

And I'm loading up my Lynx w/ Radio Replays for a 750 mile trip to North Carolina in June. Up to 13 hours so far.

Loving the Buried Treasure clips that originally aired pre-merger that I haven't heard before.

If SiriusXM had left the channel in mono on the satellites my rating would have dropped to a 2/4.

HecticArt

Administrator
Oct 19, 2008
Toledo, Ohio
Not your average Artist Only Channel for sure. I've been hearing Jeff Beck Group, Dr. John, Rascals, The Stones, The Hollies, Small Faces, The Dictators, Nilsson, Roy Orbison, Rod Stewart, Levon Helm & The RCO All-Stars, Stevie Nicks, Byrds, Zombies, Gene Vincent, J.J. Cale, Taj Mahal & Shangri-Las.

And from Michael Campbell's solo project- Blue Stingrays: Land Of The Unknown, Malibu Babylon, Blue Venus, Russian Roulette, Brave New World, Echo Park & Monsoon

SXM scores big with this channel! I give it 4.5 Stars :agree:

This has been pretty good.
Some decent variety mixed in makes it easier to stay on a SAC for more than a little while.

The Blue Stingrays are fun too.

SIRIUSaboutXM

DRC Special Contributor
Oct 29, 2008
Anderson, SC
4/4 stars. Listened to it while running a half marathon last weekend, and on every morning run since.

And I'm loading up my Lynx w/ Radio Replays for a 750 mile trip to North Carolina in June. Up to 13 hours so far.

Loving the Buried Treasure clips that originally aired pre-merger that I haven't heard before.

If SiriusXM had left the channel in mono on the satellites my rating would have dropped to a 2/4.
Concur 100% Great review :agree: You must live in FLA?