WTD 2009 Week 8 - Deep Tracks

Discussion in 'WTD Archives' started by Aaron, Jan 4, 2009.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Aaron

Aaron Moderator

The songs that your favorite album rock stations played when they played … songs from albums and not just the “singles.†Experience the great art of surprise and discovery from Classic Rock’s archives – when you want to dig deeper, search our vault for the Deep Tracks! Also hear Tom Petty’s weekly radio show and Bob Dylan’s Theme Time Radio Hour.

What we play: Eric Clapton, Pink Floyd, The Doors, The Allman Brothers, The Beatles, Jimi Hendrix, The Rolling Stones, Lynyrd Skynyrd, The Who, Bob Dylan.

Bob Dylan's Theme Time Radio Hour
    Mondays 8 pm ET, Wednesdays 11 am ET, Thursdays 12 am ET, Sundays 8 am ET
    Take a trip back to the golden age of radio with music hand-selected by Bob Dylan, from his personal collection. Listen as he weaves his own brand of radio with dreams, schemes and themes.

Tom Petty's Buried Treasure
    Mondays 11 am ET, Thurdays 8 pm ET, Saturdays 4 am ET and Sunday 2 pm ET
    Each week Rock and Roll Hall of Famer Tom Petty takes his place as on-air host par excellence. The Grammy®-winning singer-songwriter, Heartbreakers ringleader, Traveling Wilbury, and Mudcrutch frontman will pull together a set of little known musical delights and classic tracks alike — many vintage, each a treasure. It's an hour of radio magic woven together with Petty's articulate and passionate take on his first love: the music.

Deep Tracks Undercover
    Tuesdays 8 pm ET, Saturdays 12 am ET, Sundays 12 am ET
    Songs so good that other artists felt compelled to put their own stamp of originality on them - cover songs. It's everything from The Allman Brothers version of “Stormy Monday†to Zappa's irreverent read on “Whipping Post,†the Stones do Muddy Waters, McKendree Spring takes on Neil Young, Yes finds new life in Simon & Garfunkel's “America.â€

The Blacklight Room
    Friday 10 pm ET, Saturday 11 pm ET
    The aroma of sandalwood an incense. The vivid protrait of artists and a groovy array of psychedelia from our vintage commercial and TV vaults. In the Blacklight Room, you will always find the finest in psychedelic rock including Traffic, The Electric Prunes, Beatles, Velvet Underground, Love and Rotary Connection and more.

King Biscuit Flower Hour
    Mondays 3 pm ET & Tuesdays 9 pm ET
    The King Biscuit Flower Hour is America's longest running rock concert series. For more than 30 years King Biscuit has been bringing fans legendary performances from rock's most acclaimed bands like Aerosmith, The Rolling Stones, Eric Clapton, The Who, Led Zeppelin, Santana and hundreds more.

For Headphones Only
    Monday through Thursday 10 pm ET
    Hungering for some classic prog rock? Satiate yourself with a dose of Progressions every weeknight at 11 pm ET. The progressive sounds of Yes, Genesis, ELP, Gentle Giant and more live on ... on Progressions.

Channel 40 on XM, 16 on Sirius

* Please indicate how much you like this channel by assigning it a rating. Simply use the thread rating system found at the top of the thread and give it a vote. :)

[​IMG]

2. hexagram

hexagram Medicinal & Recreational.

It has been a preset since the merge... All of the "Deep Tracks" and Tom Petty's show (and Bob Dylan's Theme Time Hour)... What's not to love?!

5 stars. :)

3. Jleimer

Jleimer Active Member

Same here it has been a preset since the merger and this is a 5 star station.

4. AZJoe

AZJoe Member

A very good channel, no cookie cutter format or shallow playlists!! :bigclap:

5. HCLogo

HCLogo Member

I love this concept, so much great music gets missed because of too much focus on the "hits".

Been listening to this one since I first got Sirius this Xmas, one of my top 5 channels for sure. Especially love Tom Petty's Buried Treasure but I wish the show was longer than one hour.

Definite 5-star channel! :bigthumbup:

Last edited: Jan 4, 2009
  6. Bandit 5160

Bandit 5160 Member

This is definitely one of the best programmed channels on Sirius XM, and a place where you will hardly ever hear the same song twice- a nice, deep playlist. It is a place to hear songs you might have never heard before, or at least in a very long time, and you can discover a lot of "hidden musical gems" here. Great stuff! Keeping this channel from XM and also not messing with it and keeping it exactly as it was might have been the smartest thing that Sirius XM did with the merger! A full 5 stars on this one.

Last edited: Jan 4, 2009
  7. Jleimer

Jleimer Active Member

Plus I have heard covers of common songs on this channel that are so different then the orginial ones as well. This one will stay on my presets no matter what.

8. prymel

prymel New Member

The best channel on satellite, bar none. It's not just the music per se, it's the mood and atmosphere created by the jocks and the mix of songs they play. Sometimes I lose track of the individual tunes and just get caught up in the sound of the station itself. It's truly a labor of love, and I hope it stays put. I only wish George Taylor Morris was still around.

9. Gary1

Gary1 New Member

Deep Tracks

I have to agree with everyone else. This is a GREAT channel. I really hope Mel doesn't mess with this channel as it seems he does with every other good music channel. Deep tracks features great specials, knowledgable DJ's and a great variety of music. This is one of the few channels that doesn't have the Sirius curse of repetition. You can listen all day long and not hear the same song twice. This is what I subscribed to satellite radio for. It's the anti-FM. And the songs aren't just a bunch of tunes thrown together. There's actually thought that goes into the a set. Sometimes a theme of some kind. I like the way the DJ's go back to the beginning of the playlist and go over all the songs in the set instead of just the one they just played or are about to play like they do on the Sirius channels. It feels like old time radio when FM was still progressive and creative.

Simply a great channel. Mel leave this channel just the way it is.

Last edited: Jan 5, 2009
  10. semipenguin

semipenguin Bum Looker

Ok, I guess I'm going to have to be the one to spoil the party...:(

I just might be the only one here that really doesn't care for this channel. It's very well produced. The Programming is done very well. The shows are top notch...

But I just don't care to hear rare nuggets or b-sides that should never have been played on the radio...:shock:

I do like hearing a good song every once in a while. Sometimes there is a rare nugget that just never got played or got limited air time. I think that's what a program on Classic Vinyl or Classic Rewind is for. To dedicate a whole channel to them is just out of this world...:no:

Count me out as someone who likes or will be listening to this channel unless it's a special program like Bob Dylan, Tom Petty, or King Biscuit...:)

3 out of 5 Stars

11. Jleimer

Jleimer Active Member

To each is own.

12. goreds2

goreds2 Well-Known Member

I don't listen to this channel alot but do enjoy the special programming such as this coming up tonight. (3 out of 5 stars)

Deep Tracks Undercover

Tuesdays 8 pm ET, Saturdays 12 am ET, Sundays 12 am ET

Songs so good that other artists felt compelled to put their own stamp of originality on them - cover songs. It's everything from The Allman Brothers version of “Stormy Monday†to Zappa's irreverent read on “Whipping Post,†the Stones do Muddy Waters, McKendree Spring takes on Neil Young, Yes finds new life in Simon & Garfunkel's “America.â€

13. Wolf

Wolf Manspreading on DRC

I listen to the channel for a while today and I enjoy some of the deep classic rock music.

14. hexagram

I haven't had a chance to listen to "The Blacklight Room" on Deep Tracks yet... Is it good?

15. down4six

down4six Well-Known Member

I have tried to listen, just can't get into it. I gave it 3 stars anyway.

16. Gary1

Gary1 New Member

I love this program. I love it because it's so strange and is definetly different than anything you will hear on terrestrial radio. I think they made a good choice only playing it twice a week as it's not the type of program I would like to listen to every day. But I enjoy listening to it on Friday night. It's a great headphones program.

The show is way out there and you need to be open-minded when listening to the show. It's best when not taken too seriously. I look at it almost as a campy type of program even though I know many of the artists were completly serious at the time they recorded these songs. They just sound so dated now and in many cases so self-indulgent. But that's all part of the fun to me.

I think it's funny that Earl Bailey ends every program with, "OK now clean up your stash and straighten up as we leave the blacklight room" (Sound of door slamming).

hexagram likes this.
  17. hexagram

HA! It sounds great. I gotta tune in sometime!

18. AJ_II

AJ_II Well-Known Member

This is my dad's favorite channel. A few weeks back, we drove down to Corpus Christi for my stepbrother's college graduation, and this was all he listened to.

90% of the music they play is too obscure for me since I'm only 24, but with that said, it is a very good way to be introduced to new music. I say "new" because that's exactly what it is to me. They do play a lot of Hendrix songs that you usually don't hear on Classic Vinyl (like "Freedom", for example), which I definitely am a fan of.

19. Jleimer

Jleimer Active Member

I am only 22 and this channel is the channel that I discover stuff I never heard of , and some stuff that I have but not in a cover format.

20. Aaron

Aaron Moderator

I like this channel. After years of overdosing on the same old classic rock songs, it's nice to have a place like this to go for album cuts and unfamiliar stuff. Deep Tracks has been an improvement for me over The Vault, and will remain a preset.

I keep forgetting to check out Progressions at night.:banghead:
    I think I'd like it.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.