WTD 2008 Week 4 - Soul Town

Discussion in 'WTD Archives' started by Aaron, Dec 7, 2008.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Aaron

Aaron Moderator

The best in Classic Soul from the 60's and early 70's, live in Soul Town! From Aretha Franklin and Marvin Gaye to James Brown and The Supremes, Soul Town is the home for vintage R&B. For your favorite oldies, and the legends who created them, it's Soul Town.

What we play: James Brown, Marvin Gaye, Aretha Franklin, Diana Ross & The Supremes, The Temptations, The O’Jays, Otis Redding, Dionne Warwick, The Four Tops, Jackie Wilson

Channel 53 on Sirius, 60 on XM.

* Please indicate how much you like this channel by assigning it a rating. Simply use the thread rating system found at the top of the thread and give it a vote. :)

[​IMG]

2. bigdaddyII

bigdaddyII Member

I gave this channel an honest 1.5 hours this morning and that is about all I can handle. It made me want to tap my foot at first but than turned in to fishing (head bobbing) after 45 minutes.

3. down4six

down4six Well-Known Member

Already a preset. I listen to it at least once a day, fits in well with my other tastes in music.

4. edgarb

edgarb Member

I listened for a while this morning....not a bad station....Don't know if it will get a preset, but it is a very good mix of soul and funk. I would prefer it to be heavier on the funk, but i guess this is as close as it gets on sirius...

5. AZJoe

AZJoe Member

I enjoy it, as I am a big R&B classics fan, yet over all Sirius does a poor job in covering classic R&B music. Soul Town sort of straddles the late 50s into the mid 70s. And with Heart & Soul now playing 95% 90s &todays R&B adult hits, the late 70s and 80s R&B has been ignored on Sirius. Can you tell me where you will go to hear Gap Band's "You Dropped A Bomb On Me? Or "Atomic Dog" by George Clinton? The XM side still has The Groove, which covers that era, but it didnt make the crossover to Sirius, and Heart & Soul ( which absorbed Suite 62) has dropped its funk and classic 70s & 80s soul hits. They simply should have kept Soul Street 50s to late 60s & left Soul Town for the 70s R&B, and brought the Groove over, and kept Heart & Soul. There are not enough R&B channels (2 ) to cover 5 decades of R&B...

There are more single artist channels than there are R&B/urban ones-- very sad!!

semipenguin likes this.
  6. Aaron

Aaron Moderator

I agree with everything you said, AZJoe. Too few R&B channels!

However, I love Soul Town! One of my "A" presets, I listen to this one quite a bit. Plays a lot of familiar hits, but sufficiently deep enough for my tastes.

Some of my favorite DJ's are on this channel: Ken "Spyder" Webb, Carol Ford, and Wanda Ramos.

7. hexagram

hexagram Medicinal & Recreational.

Makes the preset and gets 3 stars. Another station to listen to when I'm feeling 'adventurous' (along with Sirius XM U and BB King's Bluesville).

8. DavisD

DavisD New Member

New Jack Swing?

All, I am a new sirius sub/listener. I know there is no dedicated New Jack Swing (NJS) channel on sirius. But I was wondering if there is a NJS program on sirius? Might there be some time slot on a specific channel that plays NJS music? I hear some on 90s on 9 but looking for more consistent programing.

Thanks,

9. Aaron

Aaron Moderator

DavisD, Welcome to Sirius and DRC! :)
    I probably don't know enough about New Jack Swing to give you a proper answer, but maybe check out channel 51, Heart & Soul. They may play some of the artists you are looking for? They don't appear to have any specific programming that you are looking for though. :idunno:

10. goreds2

goreds2 Well-Known Member

This channel was a pleasant surprise last night listening before I went to bed. The song selection is very good and remember hearing some of them in my childhood.

11. MadisonRadio1

MadisonRadio1 MadisonRadio

I heard a lot of 60's and 70's hits. Beechwood 45789 and such. Good selections. Good artists. And I heard some unknowns, soundling like late 60's style. I will be listening once in a while. I used to listen to XM Soul Street every now and then, and same now with Soul Town. 4 stars.

walk z dog

12. squigy0

squigy0 Member

Sounds: Classic Soul and Motown (hence the name)

Positives: Another forgotten genre on radio and these songs have a really incredible roots of Rock N' Roll feel to them

Negatives: There is some repetition of artists but not of songs that I heard

Blastability: Pretty high actually. This stuff rocks!

Overall: The complete presentation from the song flow to the DJ interaction was flawless! "Oh wow!" moment was a song they played about a guy driving around who was thinking about problems in his life and making it obvious that he was smoking weed to cope with it all; and this was easily a mid to late 60s recording!

13. semipenguin

semipenguin Bum Looker

Excellent channel. IMO, this is another channel that gotten better because of the merger...:D

I like this channel because it not only plays Classic R&B, but it plays song I don't get to hear on 60s on 6. I really love the R&B that I remember hearing on the radio when I was a kid, as well as the R&B that was around before I was born.

The DJ's are great, & they don't play many repeats. I was hoping that XM DJ's like Lee Hamilton would have made the cut and continued on this channel, but as squigy0 pointed out, the ones they use now do an excellent job...:)

This channel is a preset & thus far the only channel thus far that I give 5 out of 5 stars...:D

14. Road Hog

Road Hog Member

I love about 80 percent of the songs heard on this channel (there are some clunkers in the other 20 percent). This music is a lot of fun. Any time a Sam Cooke song comes on the radio, I am guaranteed to like it - I like everything he ever put out.

It does seem to have gotten better with the merge.

15. Wolf

Wolf Manspreading on DRC

I enjoyed the channel for a little while, but not much into R&B music yet.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.