Windows XP EOL

Discussion in 'Windows' started by Andrew8468, Dec 14, 2013.

1. Andrew8468

Andrew8468 Plans on freezing in the dark

2. limegrass69

limegrass69 Confused

Yah...time to retire the 1 or 2 XP machines still on the office network.

3. c1971ace

c1971ace New Member

I thought they did this a while ago...

Sent from my Note 3 using Tapatalk

4. limegrass69

limegrass69 Confused

They had tried to do it earlier, but got pushback from some large corporate customers...or so the story goes.

5. IdRatherBeSkiing

IdRatherBeSkiing This space for rent

My workspace still has XP on its desktops.

Imagine the pushback when they try to retire Windows 7 and force everybody to that nightmare of 8.

6. limegrass69

limegrass69 Confused

Hopefully we won't have to worry about that for a few years!!

7. memebag

memebag Top Brass, ADVP

They didn't force XP users onto Vista. I doubt they will force 7 users onto 8.

8. blueneon36

blueneon36 Active Member

Its about time. XP is soooo 2001. ;)

Before Hi Speed Internet was the standard.

Before Facebook. Before Twitter. Before Apps. Before Smartphones, really.

9. hyson

hyson Forum Jerk

I guess my version of ME isn't industry standard any longer, eh?

10. Grüpsaar

Grüpsaar DRC Forum Bum

XP was a good OS. i operate on XP and 7. i dont use 8.

11. FlyersFan76

FlyersFan76 Member

Yuuuup Got about 5-7 XP machines that might be retired soon.

It will make my job a little easier instead of constantly trying to remember stupid shortcuts when I try to walk a user through trying to find an answer over the phone.

Standardizing will make me happy.

12. Andrew8468

Andrew8468 Plans on freezing in the dark

All our machines here are running XP. They've been upgraded to Office 2010 and new towers installed in the summer. Windows 7 is supposed to be the next step but haven't heard a date for that.

Sent from my iPhone5 using Tapatalk

13. Vols44

Vols44 Well-Known Member

Hackers can't wait to exploit non savvy users who use abc123 for their password so they can steal and sell their sensitive data. I foresee websites and advertiser who will "fix" the security holes for a fee and either non deliver the so-called service or disappear like a .com when the tech bubble burst.

14. HecticArt

HecticArt Administrator

Windows 8.1 closes in on Vista among desktop OS users - CNET

So with XP support ending, the chatter is about how ATM's typically rely on it, and how banks aren't going to be ready to upgrade them all before updates won't be available. I think it was a fella from CNet that was on TV this morning with a chart of the percentage of MS systems in use. I was surprised how many XP's and 8's there were. XP because it's so old, and 8 because it's so.....8....

15. IdRatherBeSkiing

IdRatherBeSkiing This space for rent

MacOS still almost nowhere. A bit surprised at the amount of people using windows 8.

Not surprised about XP. Most XP machines are old and won't take a new OS.

Sent from my iPhone5 using Tapatalk

16. Jon

Jon Well-Known Member

Wonder what they consider 'other'.

I'm actually surprised Mac OS is that low, with all the use it gets in Education and design you'd think it'd be a little higher. At least more than Vista.

17. HecticArt

HecticArt Administrator

This.

18. memebag

memebag Top Brass, ADVP

I would take all of these numbers with a grain of salt. OSX probably has between 6% and 8% of the personal computer market.

But the "personal computer market" is growing less relevant every day as hardware diversifies and specializes.

19. Jon

Jon Well-Known Member

I don't think PCs are going away completely. There's still a lot more you can do on a PC that you can't do on a tablet. The desktop computer might be going away but laptops are going to be around a while, especially as their computing power increase.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk HD

20. memebag

memebag Top Brass, ADVP

No, desktops and laptops won't disappear. But their numbers are declining while tablet numbers are growing rapidly. The battle between a Windows, OSX and Linux is becoming irrelevant as the battle between iOS and Android takes center stage.

ETA: Wait, Meme, what about Windows 8? It runs on tablets!

Yes, it runs on 1% of them. Maybe. Microsoft's confidence in future Win 8 tablet sales is best indicated by this week's release of Office for iPad. That's right, Microsoft is letting Apple take 30% off the top of it's cash cow. That's 30% just for letting Microsoft use Apple's store.

Last edited: Apr 2, 2014