Why Costco Rules

memebag

Top Brass, ADVP
Oct 11, 2008
Lake Huntzing
Rather than hijack another thread in the tech fora, I thought I'd move my Costco love over here.

Costco rules because its happy. Target is a lot like Walmart, except the people at Walmart are sadder. Same with Costco and Sam's.

Costco rules because they sell big tubs of the same brownies, palmiers and cookies that I've seen at Whole Foods in smaller tubs, only Whole Foods multiplies the price by 5 to 10 times. They're the exact same brand, same taste, same everything, just smaller tubs and higher prices.

Costco rules because they filled my new tires with nitrogen. They cost the same as the same tires at NTB and Discount Tire, but they throw in a free road hazard warranty and free nitrogen. That's right. Whenever I need pure nitrogen, I just get it out of my tires, then stop by Costco to get it replaced.

hyson

Forum Jerk
Oct 19, 2008
Costco rules because Costco’s average pay, for example, is $17 an hour, 42 percent higher than its fiercest rival, Sam’s Club. source?

hexagram

Medicinal & Recreational.
Oct 11, 2008
Seattle, WA
Already mentioned it in the other thread, but I'll say that I love Costco for their $1.50 hot dogs and soda (their pizza is damn good too!) and I love them for their return policy.

hexagram

Oct 11, 2008
Seattle, WA
What's the secret behind building a multibillion-dollar business empire that has instant name recognition? You might think it depends on a CEO who's ruthlessly competitive and drives company workers relentlessly. Well, Jim Sinegal isn't your typical CEO, and Costco, the business he founded, is not your typical store.

While it may be unorthodox, nobody could say Sinegal's business strategy isn't working. About 45 million shoppers visit Costco, and for some of them the experience borders on the spiritual. Shopper Jose Davila put it this way: "This is the best place in the world. It's like going to church on Sunday. You can't get anything better than this. This is a religious experience."

And Sinegal isn't just interested in taking care of his customers. He wants to take good care of his employees.

"It's a good place to work; they take care of us," said one Costco employee who spoke with "20/20" correspondent Bill Ritter.

And when Sinegal walks into one of his stores, he's treated like a celebrity. His employees seem to genuinely like him. And the feeling's mutual.

"The employees know that I want to say hello to them, because I like them," he said.

In an interview published in the Houston Chronicle on July 17, 2005, he told Steven Greenhouse that he was not interested in Wall Street analysts who took issue with his care for employees and customers rather than happier shareholders. Investors might want higher earnings but Sinegal stated “We want to build a company that will still be here 50 and 60 years from now." A favorite saying of his is “you have to take the shit with the sugar”. Investors who bought $10,000 of Costco stock in 1992 had $43,564 ten years later, a return of 354%.

Costco CEO Finds Pro-Worker Means Profitability - ABC News

Last edited:

ProperModulation

Green Type of Tube
Oct 11, 2008
California
Plus the quality of their Kirkland brand is top notch. They don't seem to buy cheap crap and slap their name on it, they only do that with quality merchandise. The only downside is that a lot of times you get hooked on a particular Costco product, then it goes away forever.

I haven't been to Sams Club in a long time as there isn't one close to me anymore.

Vargas

Molon Labe!
Oct 16, 2008
Western, PA
I don't live anywhere near a Costco and this depresses me.

Sam's is about 40 minutes away but we aren't members there.

AJ_II

Oct 13, 2008
Houston, TX
Costco is awesome because of the free samples. You can walk in there at lunch time and get a free meal basically.

ProperModulation

Green Type of Tube
Oct 11, 2008
California
Costco is awesome because of the free samples. You can walk in there at lunch time and get a free meal basically.

If you are willing to work your way through a crowd of people who will clog up an aisle just for a sliver of granola bar. And I don't even go near the aisle when they have samples of something good like ice cream bars or angus burgers!

AJ_II

Oct 13, 2008
Houston, TX
If you are willing to work your way through a crowd of people who will clog up an aisle just for a sliver of granola bar. And I don't even go near the aisle when they have samples of something good like ice cream bars or angus burgers!

Oh....I'm willing.

hexagram

Oct 11, 2008
Seattle, WA
I don't live anywhere near a Costco and this depresses me.

Sam's is about 40 minutes away but we aren't members there.

I don't live anywhere near either establishment.

That does it, I'm moving at the end of this year strictly for the Costco. :icon_biggrin:

I always went to the Costco in Kirkland, and the people serving the samples always had a neat, orderly system. Never had to line up for any sample :)

HecticArt

Administrator
Oct 19, 2008
Toledo, Ohio
Rather than hijack another thread in the tech fora, I thought I'd move my Costco love over here.

Costco rules because its happy. Target is a lot like Walmart, except the people at Walmart are sadder. Same with Costco and Sam's.

Costco rules because they sell big tubs of the same brownies, palmiers and cookies that I've seen at Whole Foods in smaller tubs, only Whole Foods multiplies the price by 5 to 10 times. They're the exact same brand, same taste, same everything, just smaller tubs and higher prices.

Costco rules because they filled my new tires with nitrogen. They cost the same as the same tires at NTB and Discount Tire, but they throw in a free road hazard warranty and free nitrogen. That's right. Whenever I need pure nitrogen, I just get it out of my tires, then stop by Costco to get it replaced.

You had me on brownie.

Biaviian

Nov 17, 2008
I just wish they didn't change their return policy about a year go. I like that I'm still grandfathered in with my LCD TVs but it would be nice to be protected with future purchases.

memebag

Top Brass, ADVP
Oct 11, 2008
Lake Huntzing
Costco rules because they sell cheap, giant bundles of Kirkland Ass Wipes. They call them "baby wipes", but I don't have any babies.

limegrass69

Confused
Oct 12, 2008
New York
I love Costco. I always leave there with a big ice cream and a lot of crap that I did not need.

:confused: Hmmmm...how did that [fill in the blank] get into my cart???