Who Still Has The "Old School" XM Radios Active?

Discussion in 'XM Radios' started by goreds2, Oct 14, 2008.

1. ottawa_guy

ottawa_guy New Member

SkyFi and Roady2 still active here.... although I may cancel the SkyFi and replace it with the XMP3

2. Rocinante

Rocinante Member

I have the original Sony DRN-XM01C unit that came out back in 2001 when XM first started broadcasting. I had it deactivated four years ago and did not turn it on until recently. Guess what? It must have missed the deactivation signal or it is so old that it cannot be shut off because the unit still works on all channels!

3. racefla

racefla New Member

I have a SF1 not active
    A Commander1 taken out of a trade in car, active but not for long. Saving it for the assault on Mel, on *disconnect* day.
    My girls have a Roady2 active.

*the day we all disconnect at once*

4. REMilk

REMilk New Member

I still use my MyFi daily. I have had since since Dec 2004. I take it everywhere and use it on airplanes, in rental cars, on buses, in hotels, offices, at home, and even in my Honda Element to listen to NFL since I just activated 'Best of Sirius' .

5. Dark Star

Dark Star Member

I have my RoadyXT going at the moment, but my wife's a little more old school with the Roady2.

Wow...incredible forum here, too!!!

6. EricfromTx

EricfromTx New Member

Have 2 Roady XT's still in heavy use. Also have an old Roady 2 that still works but has suffered cosmetic damage.

7. TX WJ

TX WJ Intelligent Donkey

I have an old Airwave, my car antenna died and I have never replaced it. I guess it is not worth $60 to buy a new one until I see what happens with the channel changes.

I have a Skyfi2 Boombox that I would trade for a car kit antenna that works and is in good condition.

8. IdRatherBeSkiing

IdRatherBeSkiing This space for rent

Car antennas can be got for $20. Try XMFanStore. You can also get a bottom of the barrel XM Radio for $39.99 and just use the antenna from it if you are desperate (I had to do this once while travelling).

9. willie321

willie321 Member

Still have a Tao tethered to a Wave Radio for background music during dinner. We are lucky to be real close to a repeater so I can use use it in portable mode when doing the dreaded yard chores. Although a bit big, it does the job...

10. REMilk

REMilk New Member

I have an original MyFi that I use every day. It is used at home, hotels, rental cars, offices, buses, etc.

I just upgraded the subscription to the "Best of Sirius".

An editorial here... if the "Best of Sirius: is just sports/talk radio, it say that their music is not considered 'BEST'!

Bob

11. Derek

Derek Member

Still have a skyfi for my wife's car and her boombox at work. Had it since 10-04

12. Treysfnemail

Treysfnemail New Member

Hey DAB- how is the Sureconnet on the XM radios? I have my Skyfi2 works great but I just want a new radio but I use it in a company van everyday and can't direct wire it-was just wondering how well it worked? i'm sure you get some static but is it real bad?

13. DAB

DAB Mod Emeritus

To be honest, I've never used the Sureconnect, so unfortunately I can't answer that question for you. I know with new radios you are just about required to have it because the FM trans is so weak. How good they are exactly I really would not know.

Maybe someone else will chime in that has one of these setup on some of the newer XM radios.

14. Derek

Derek Member

It depends a lot on where you live (how big the FM radio market is). It does a fairly good job in a smaller market area. My recommendation would be to spend the extra $20-30 and get the FM Direct Adapter. In most cases, it works much better imo.

15. goreds2

goreds2 Well-Known Member

If the SkyFi2 works great, you should keep it and avoid the SURECONNECT. I miss my SkyFi2 because of the pause and replay features.

16. Treysfnemail

Treysfnemail New Member

Yeah but I really want a new radio with a color screen and being able to record, BUT the weaker FM mod is what I don't want. Thought about getting the Myfi but its very close to the Skyfi2 and still no color screen.:scratch:

17. Treysfnemail

Treysfnemail New Member

I'm leaning that way(FM Direct Adapter) but it's just a pain to get a the radio in a van.:idunno:

18. JoeTan

JoeTan Well-Known Member

Is nobody getting the FREE FM adapters from Sirius???? They are the nuts and tiny!

19. JoeTan

JoeTan Well-Known Member

oh crap this is an XM thread.

20. styckx

styckx Member

FM modulation is overrated anyway. The SQ is subpar to begin w/ why even make it sound worse over FM Modulation? Spend the few extra bucks or so and direct connect it to your equipment the difference in SQ is night and day