What's going to happen to Sirius/XM?

Discussion in 'SiriusXM Soundwave Cafe' started by limegrass69, Nov 20, 2008.

?

What do you think will happen to Sirius/XM

1. Business as usual

36 vote(s)
    42.4%
  2. Add commercials to music stations

7 vote(s)
    8.2%
  3. Buy out by a traditional radio company/foreign company

11 vote(s)
    12.9%
  4. Become a "dumb pipe" distributing other's content

6 vote(s)
    7.1%
  5. Bye bye satellite radio

25 vote(s)
    29.4%
  1. limegrass69

limegrass69 Confused

What do you think will happen with Sirius/XM?

2. hwkn

hwkn Active Member

Knowing Mel K he'll add commercials to the music channels at some point[as long as it's only 1-2 breaks an hour i'm fine with it].

3. limegrass69

limegrass69 Confused

At first blush, I'd agree with you. But that has the potential to turn off so many subscribers, that the risk of subscriber revenue loss may outweigh the potential incremental revenue. To be honest, satellite radio has not attracted the greatest quality of advertisers on the channels that run ads. Perhaps that would change...

4. VinnyM27

VinnyM27 Active Member

The cancellations are coming fast and furious with the musical change lineups. Putting commercials on to make the music channels even MORE like FM would probably cause a much bigger flood and complaints. Wouldn't be worth it. Things are going poorly...better to pull the plug rather than make things even worse THAN pull the plug.

5. Supafly

Supafly Member

Optimistically voted for "dumb pipe."

Realistically the Sats will probably fall out of the sky into someones backyard.

Would Clear Channel/ Premiere/etc. use sat radio for content distribution or stick with local affiliates?

6. Bandwagon03

Bandwagon03 Well-Known Member

Declare Bankruptcy, then get snatched up by Google.

7. kryptonite

kryptonite Well-Known Member

Does quality of advertisers really matter? We all have radios that can pause and skip through commercials. As long as there's INCOME, does it really matter who the income is coming from?

I would support commercials on some channels during non-peak hours, such as 6 PM PT to 5 AM ET.

Maybe the rest of the time have the dj's say something like "This hour is brought to you by...." where the music doesn't stop for a traditional commercial break, but Sirius is paid for live commericals.

8. joe2k4

joe2k4 Member

I can't believe Sirius and XM couldn't get better adds for MLB and NFL. I mean these are huge contracts, and they hardly are selling adds for them.

9. bye bye vote.......Just give it some time.

10. ProperModulation

ProperModulation Green Type of Tube

can the stock actually go down to $0.00?

11. Allanon

Allanon Member

All stocks are low, these days. So, I wouldn't worry more about Sirius XM than about half of the other stocks out there. I think it'll be business as usual. Of course, I might be wrong, and lose my investment in a lifetime sub...

12. kryptonite

kryptonite Well-Known Member

I forget the math, but you can get 1 year at $12.95 a month times 11 month. You can get 2 years of service at $12.95 a month times 22 months. A lifetime fee is paid off after 3 1/2 years or so.

13. hexagram

hexagram Medicinal & Recreational.

38½ months to be exact.

14. TacoKid

TacoKid Member

I almost think that would be the best thing for it.

15. limegrass69

limegrass69 Confused

Google gets a lot of deserved credit for doing some good things. But they also have taken some good businesses and run them into the ground. Just Google "Grand Central"...the phone service they bought out. See what happened there. Google is not always the cure for cancer.