What will be this off-season's biggest story?

Discussion in 'NASCAR' started by dpkimmel2001, Nov 17, 2008.

1. dpkimmel2001

dpkimmel2001 Well-Known Member

Any predictions?

Is it going to be the pending layoffs? :eek:

How about the end of testing?

Are we going to listen to another 3 months of discussion on how the point system should be changed? You know that CE would have won the title under the old points, so it's going to come up.

Maybe it will be how qualifying should be changed.

What do you think? :scratch:

Last edited: Nov 17, 2008
  2. Pink Willie

Pink Willie Member

Man hoofs...or Digger.

3. mghtx

mghtx 2000 Man

From the Frontstretch.

4. dpkimmel2001

mghtx - I certainly understand what your are saying with those quotes. Like, I said before, I liked the old point system but I figure that the outcome would be different if they were racing under the old system. I don't think that the race would have been run the same way as it was yesterday. JJ and Chad K. only did what they had to do to win under the current system.

In 2007 there was absolutly no way anyone could have beat JG! I'm not a JG fan but that championship should have been his. And that statement is comming from a long time DE Sr. fan.

As far as the truck series goes...... While it was close this year, it has not always been that close in seasons past.

5. mghtx

mghtx 2000 Man

I think there's going to be MANY hot topics during the off-season. Not just what's happened in the chase (which isn't going away so.....)

The overall state of nascar, I think, will be a big topic. I think all of the decisions and changes of the last 5 or 6 years, maybe the last 10 years, are coming to a head.

And I think it's depending on the person. For myself, it's the actual racing. It's easy to mention the new car, which is important. But some of these tracks need a complete overhaul or be dumped altogether. All these 1.5 milers, California and Indy, etc. I sure wish the season ended at Richmond or Bristol.

Without great racing we have NOTHING. And great racing is NOT what happens at Homestead or California.

And if it were up to me I'd have a LOT more saturday night racing. Not to mention these late sunday afternoon start times are completely STUPID.

6. Easy Money

Easy Money Active Member

Nascar's theory on Sat. night races is that it hurts the local tracks, and it might be true to some degree. But I used to help a dirt late model team and I can tell you if we were going racing, it didn't matter WHAT was on Tv. So I aint too sure if thats not their way of saying "it might hurt us"!LOL

7. Jager

Jager Member

I agree with mghtx, there's going to be many Hot topics during the off season. We've had a few sponsors in Nascar leave, so there's going to be some struggles with some teams next year. And the racing is a big part too. I go to both Bristol and Richmond (season tix) every year. And speaking for myself, the racing at Bristol just isn't the same to me. At Richmond I thought there was some good racing, but I'm a Jimmie Johnson fan and he won the last race there so go figure. Its going to be a interesting off season for sure.

8. Easy Money

Easy Money Active Member

Ive been to Bristol twice and love it. But I heard someone say the other day it was better when it was a one lane track. That doesnt make sense to me. I guess some people like to watch them have to knock someone out of the way to pass.
    Did you ever go watch the dirt late models at Bristol when they brought in the dirt and put it down?

9. mccastle

mccastle Member

I think there is going to be a lot of activity with Stewart Haas. I think there is going to be more big name hires. I think Tony fans are going to be pleasantly surprised by how well they are going to shape up.

Also I think the fact that testing has been called off might affect some new drivers moving up to Cup. Perhaps their status in high profile rides might be delayed...

Easy Money, you have to change your signature. I have a fit of giggles everytime I see it.

10. Easy Money

Easy Money Active Member

Its for all the people that bitch about him saying it too much.:rofl2: I was a huge Sr fan, so it doesnt bother me quite as much as some others. But he can go a little overboard with it at times. But hell, its the only racing job he's ever had for the most part, its the only experiences he can pull from.
    But that place is awesome, regardless who you like.:bigclap:

11. dpkimmel2001

I've had four spring tickets to Bristol the past five years. I know that I'm probably in the minority on this but I like the new track better. The only way they could pass in the past was the bump and run. The new configuration hasn't eliminated that but it has made for more side by side racing.

12. Easy Money

Easy Money Active Member

I agree.

13. Sirius01_8

Sirius01_8 Member

trust me, i don't think you're in the minority, as I've been to both Bristol races since 95, and they seem to not have a problem selling out, old config or new config.

14. Jager

Jager Member

I wanted to Easy Money but I couldn't get off from work.

15. Easy Money

Easy Money Active Member

I didnt either,makes me sick now that they stopped doing it. I have some freinds that always made the show. They said it was the fastest thing they had ever run on!

16. dpkimmel2001

I think that they only did that twice. I remember watching it on TNN, I believe. I don't remember if it was live or a replay but it was great! I don't think that they had enough butts in the seats to keep it going.

17. mghtx

mghtx 2000 Man

I like the old and the new Bristol. I think the racing there is only going to get better.

18. Easy Money

Easy Money Active Member

I think twice is right. They say the locals raised so much hell about the dust and Im sure the cost of bringing it in and cleaning it up had a lot to do with it. Plus Bruton has another toy with the dirt track at Lowes now.

19. dpkimmel2001

I once heard an interview that Claire B did with one of the locals of Bristol a few years ago. The person that she interviewed seemed quite happy with the track being in the neighborhood because of the income generated. It was said that Bruton Smith made many of the locals a lot of money. That's probably a small minority though. Otherwise, they'd probably put up with a little dust. :yesshake:

20. I think the economy and its effects of NASCAR. I think the Gan/DEI deal. I think they should think about tweaking the pts system to award wins a bit more in the reg season.