What specifically brought you in as a subscriber?

Aaron

Oct 10, 2008
South Louisiana
I went searching for this new thing called Satellite radio back in 2001/2002 and found it to be much too expensive. Then I forgot about it for a few years.

Christmas 2004 - opening Christmas gifts from my wife and there is this big box. An Orbiter, plus boombox and car setup. Best gift ever... a real life-changer. I've been hooked ever since. :)

TacoKid

Oct 27, 2008
Euless, TX
www.twitter.com
I've always been fascinated with and a junkie of radio.

I was going to get satrad regardless but was leaning to XM for MLB. But once Howard said he might go to satrad, I waited and went with Sirius when he signed. (I have Best of XM for O & A)

Now? Once I get a skydock, I am switching to XM with BOSirius. I want to have Cinemagic and the MLB.......

(P.S. Howard leaves, I'm pretty sure I'm staying. Although, paying 23 bucks a month for satrad is starting to become an issue for me...)

no1hedberg

Oct 13, 2008
West Virginia
I work on call 24-7, and got tired of always missing the sports I wanted to watch. Stern is the reason I'm still here. I haven't quit yet, but when Stern, BTLS, and Ferrell are done, there's not much compelling left to stay for.

HecticArt

Administrator
Oct 19, 2008
Toledo, Ohio
I like to drive long distances (through several states) for vacation, visiting friends, etc... And I absolutely HATE searching for new FM stations every time I cross from one area to the next.

Plus, amusingly, the fact that there was a channel that played nothing but Spanish music 24 hours a day, even though I had no intention of listening to it. I know that sounds kinda weird, but it was the fact that there was so much content there at my fingertips that really sold me!

I've been a member since 2003, and I'm actually still using a first-generation Kenwood Sirius tuner in the trunk of my car!

Welcome to the DRC Skorobeus!
Two first time posters on one thread.
That's pretty cool.
Good topic Taylor!:bigclap:

Wayne Edwards

Oct 13, 2008
Mainly Howard Stern, but also I knew that many of the NYC terrestrial hosts I used to listen to (Alex Bennett, Lynn Samuels, Jay Thomas, Bruce Morrow, Buggsy, Larry the Duck, Meg Griffin, Ken Webb, Carol Miller, Jim Kerr, Cane, etc.) were on Sirius.

I remember buying Sirius a few months before Stern came on I was constantly listening to Raw Dog and thought it was the best thing ever. For some reason I drifted away from it after Stern's arrival. Same with Left of Center. Loved it...yet for some reason I have yet to explore XMU (which is supposed to be similar) for more than a few minutes. As O.J. once said, "Go figure?!"

Reactions: TSS Taylor

dlynx

Oct 9, 2008
Michigan.
www.btlsfan.com
I picked it up in late '03 / early '04 sometime before stern was announced as coming over. Mainly because I was disgusted with the locally available choices. With (at the time) only 2 AM talk stations, one political for the most part, and the other a low power sports station that my cell phone probably put out more juice than.

Like Wayne I was a huge fan of Raw Dog til Stern/Bubba hit the airwaves. The music was a secondary reason to the talk/news/ch 100+ stations for me.

Argji

Oct 14, 2008
Oklahoma City, OK
We discovered the Sirius channels thru Dish Network in 2005 and liked what we heard with the Alternative Rock offerings. About that time the only short-lived Alt station of any substance in OKC flipped to Spanish and we were done for good with terrestrial radio.

drdroo

#1 by Women 18-24
Staff member
Oct 9, 2008
Bangor, ME USA
Commercial free uncensored music was the big one for me. I live in Clearchannel Hell. Sirius was the Kenwood partner and my head unit was Sirius ready. It just made good sense.

When Stern and Bubba joined though, my listening went mostly to that. Octane is an awesome channel though.

DAB

Mod Emeritus
Oct 9, 2008
Louisiana
For me is the wide variety of and commercial free music! I have always loved music from the time I was a young boy. I had transistor radios and eventually stereos etc. I was an avid album and 45 record collector, eventually moved to cassettes and then CD's. So for me Sat Radio was like a dream come true.

There are many of us that have been around since this thing started. I can remember many of us guys having all night chats waiting on new channels or channel changes to take place. Back then it happened pretty regular as Sirius and XM were both trying to find their way. It was so much fun and being part of this in its infancy was an amazing experience.

I've never listened to Howard as no radio station in my area carried him and so therefore to this day I still have no interest in Howard Stern. I personally don't find him entertaining and for the life of me can't understand his big star status. None the less I know that others do and he to some degree was Sirius's savior and yet also their biggest expenditure. Its always been sort of a damned if you do and damned if you don't scenario.

I think the competition between Sirius and XM drove them both to the point of bankruptcy and if they had just stopped with all the craziness we'd likely have two very different services today. The last year I had kind of grown bored with sat radio as I found other alternatives that seem to suit me better and provided me the same level of variety that I could actually control myself through Slacker and Pandora. However, I never considered either of them to be a total replacement for Sat Radio. I still don't even to this day.

One thing for sure the though of not having Sirius XM and having to deal with FM radio again is a horrible thought! I suspect I will continue to be a subscriber for a very long time. I am enjoying my new Skydock as this has sort of generated new interest in the service for me because I now have a single devices that provides be the very best method of getting all the services I like includes XM live.

goreds2

Oct 14, 2008
OH H.....EYE OH
I've never listened to Howard as no radio station in my area carried him and so therefore to this day I still have no interest in Howard Stern. I personally don't find him entertaining and for the life of me can't understand his big star status.

Drinks are on me.

Vargas

Molon Labe!
Oct 16, 2008
Western, PA
Being in sales and driving a lot, I had started to consider getting one of the two services, either Sirius or XM and I thought about it for a while. I was pretty sure I was going to get the Sirius radio's because they had the NFL and I cared more about football games than I did the baseball that was on XM. Also, let's not forget the real fact that I wanted to buy one of them because I just really wanted a new toy.

Being a huge Stern fan (and having used to have worked for a company that carried Howard Stern on it's fm rock station) I heard his announcement that day on Krock to where he said that he had made a decision and signed with Sirius and he would start in 06. That was the topper for me. I was already leaning to going with Sirius but Stern was by far the reason I bought my first Radio, the XACT Visor.

I bought the cheapest radio at the time thinking that if the service was lousy then I would only be out about $50. hahahahahha. 4 years and 6 radio's ever, I'm still a huge fan of the service.

Lost a few channels along the way (boombox, where are you?) and we've had a few hiccups with the merger but all in all, it is still the BEST $15.00 per month I have ever spent.

jef

Power Pig, Hello!
Oct 12, 2008
I had been listening to Sirius on Dish Network a year or so before Howard announced his deal and liked the concept of SatRad. I wasn't sure which service to go with, but was leaning toward Sirius since at the time (if memory serves) Liquid Metal on XM was online only.

Howard Stern pushed me over the Sirius edge :)

geosync

Oct 13, 2008
Portland, Or
Heard XM in a new GM car in '04, and liked hearing uncensored album cuts that I'd never heard on FM radio here in my area. The amount of channels seemed daunting, and the setup was a mystery, so I never looked into it seriously. When Stern picked Sirius though, by mid '05 I was going around to the local stores asking how I could get Sirius in my home and car. Got XM about a year later, just to sample it, and still have both. Love both sides for different reasons.

Kryptonite

Oct 21, 2008
I was sick of;
the 25 minutes of ads per hour on TER.
and censored lyrics.

I hear you. :clap:

My local FM station would not only play commercials (as expected), but play commercials AT THE SAME TIMES PER HOUR. I swear, I could look at my clock and figure out how long it would be until the next commercials. I would then realize if I had enough time to take a shower before the next commercial, or not.

In middle 2005, I would walk to class while listening to Howard on FM. Eventually, I bought an iPod and I would use the iPod after Howard ended.

In early, September 2005, Howard was dropped from our FM station over a Notice of Apparent Liability.

I ended up buying Sirius in time to hear the Shitacular, or whatever that thing was with High Pitch.

I figured i'd be around for the first week or so, then i'd cancel out and go back to my iPod or whatever.

I thought wrong.

ProperModulation

Green Type of Tube
Oct 11, 2008
California
Howard made his announcement in early Oct 2004. I did my research (which led me to SBS by the way) and had a Sirius tuner in my car by Halloween 2004. I got into the music and comedy for a while but now I'm back to pretty much only listening to Howard.
Posted via Mobile Device

kingchuck69

Joker! Joker! Joker!
Oct 11, 2008
Grand Rapids, MI
chuck69.com
Howard's move to Sirius brought me in, especially when he was giving away free radios with a purchase of a subscription. Even without him, the music channels were enticing enough.

Hard to believe that I've had Sirius for five years now, and I STILL can't get enough of it!