Week Of 10/16: Live! (for Real)

Discussion in 'Howard Stern' started by kryptonite, Oct 16, 2017.

1. kryptonite

kryptonite Well-Known Member

Uncle George is in. They talked about Harvey Weinstein and judged celebrity penises.

Howard is going on Jimmy Kimmel this Wednesday and busted Ronnie over letting Flava Flav in to his dressing room last time. Ralph is in charge of Howard's outfit, which to us means all black.

scotchandcigar likes this.
  2. scotchandcigar

scotchandcigar arrogant bastard

Haha, that is so true. We all wonder what Ralph really does, but the one thing we know is that he dresses Howard for appearances. And since Howard is hardly a fashion icon, he basically wears some variation on all black. So he needs a special guy for that?

3. JHDK

JHDK Release Robin's Bra

First you post a misleading thread and now you steal my thunder. Boo! ;)

George Is Back! 10.16-10.18

Your quest for mod status looks worse and worse.

4. kryptonite

1) I'm not sure you can start a thread a few days before and not have it in the regular format while expecting us to find it. (Razzing ya.)

2) With an actual mod in here, things could be fixed. :p

JHDK and HecticArt like this.
  5. HecticArt

HecticArt Administrator

It's a lot more fun like this. :celebrate1:

JHDK likes this.
  6. scotchandcigar

Billy Corgan (William Patrick Corgan) was really good, both conversation and performance.

7. scotchandcigar

I just heard his rendition of Neil Young's After the Gold Rush, awesome.

8. scotchandcigar

I have to say, though, that in some parts of the interview, he revealed glimpses of conspiracy theory insanity. He mentioned an affinity for Alex Jones, Anderson Cooper is a Globalist piece of shit, and he made a contradictory statement about airing opinions. On one hand, he said that those who know something as fact (like your own name) need not concern themselves with what others' say. But then he says that we should never discard others' ideas. Which is it?

9. Neigh

Neigh Well-Known Member

I love Billy Corgan's voice and guitar playing... when he doesn't over indulge. As for his world views, anybody who gives the slightest credence to Alex Jones goes down a few notches in my ranking of people by intellect. Had to laugh at this exchange with Howard:

Howard: I listened to your album over the weekend...
    then a little later...
    Howard: What does title of your song Aeronaut mean... ?
    Billy: It's a made-up word...a version of a astronaut.
    Howard: Is the song about space travel?
    Billy: No. It's about my son.

10. scotchandcigar

OK, that was probably the worst interview I've ever heard. Robert Plant was not interested in micro-analyzing events, situations, and thoughts that someone said had occurred 50 years ago. Howard was constantly lecturing Plant on his own life, and in response, Plant kept mocking Howard, often saying "yes, Daddy". But Howard never picked-up on it; he just kept plowing ahead.

Amazingly, Howard made some very basic mistakes; instead of saying "you thought this" or "you said that", just ask "what did you think?".

When Robert Plant comes on your show, let him talk about whatever he wants to talk about. This was a total disaster.

Bark likes this.
  11. JHDK

JHDK Release Robin's Bra

This happens a lot with Howard's interviews. He gets some sort of interview tunnel vision and guests make these jokes that either go right over his head or, even worse, he thinks they are serious and then asks a serious followup question to the guest's dumb joke.

Bark likes this.
  12. scotchandcigar

Yes, but in this case, I believe Plant was trying to tell Howard that his relentless interrogation style was making him seem like a father grilling their child. And, as you say, Howard had that tunnel vision, that didn't allow him to see how ridiculously the interview was going.

Bark and JHDK like this.
  13. scotchandcigar

BTW, the long running joke that Howard keeps making, "Do you remember this song?", needs to be retired.

14. geosync

geosync Well-Known Member

Damn. Has Plant been on before?? Yeah Howard is trying to get every little nugget out. He's like a child in a candy store. I can't listen to most of them anymore except for like Seinfeld type guests who challenge him or as quick as him which nowadays is rare.

15. scotchandcigar

First time for Plant. One of the many digs he made at Howard was to say, "you should've had me in 20 years ago, then we'd have gotten all this crap out of the way".

While Howard is definitely well versed on the Zeppelin catalog, he knows nothing about making music. So he asks a lot of stupid questions that are insulting to Plant. Led Zep's music is a variant of the blues music that preceeded them, with Plant adding the hormonal male overlay. It's as simple as that, which is why Plant was so put-off by Howard's ridiculous search for a higher meaning.

16. scotchandcigar

Not to keep beating a dead horse, but Howard failed to mention any of Plant's post-Zep career, such as the Honeydrippers, or his collaboration with Alison Krauss - for which he won a grammy. I'm guessing that the lack of interest or knowledge for the 30 years after Zeppelin was a turn-off for Plant.

17. JHDK

JHDK Release Robin's Bra

I'm about 30 mins into the Billy interview.

This Monday show was great. The George cock judging was fun because of how serious he took it. Howard used to do the same thing when he would interview wack packers. It's a silly show segment but treating it like serious business makes it all the more entertaining. After the judging George had a few great drops when describing various parts of men he enjoys. In the beginning of the show, one caller hit on it later on, Howard and Robin were trying to lead George down a path to saying he wasn't like Weinstein. George was maybe a bit too honest, basically saying that he had to grab a few cocks without permission to ease timid gays into sex. That was quite a conversation.

I know Billy has been on many times before but I think he is a great example of how Howard's deep dive type interview can work so well at times. The family stuff, especially dealing with his father, was fascinating and insightful radio. I now look forward to hearing the Plant interview to see how what worked with Billy failed with Plant.

18. kryptonite

MFB really had a freakout today. She's gonna separate HPE and Jeff the Drunk at tonight's Jimmy Kimmel appearance.

Then we had Annemarie call in and we had dueling crows freaking out.

I'm not sure there isn't an ear in America that isn't bleeding today.

19. scotchandcigar

Corgan's the perfect HSS guest, because he's had a fucked-up life, and he welcomes being psychoanalyzed about it. Also, he's one of only a handful of guests who will shit on people in public. Most celebrities don't want to ruin the rest of their lives just to give Howard a good interview, but Billy doesn't care. He's like a drunken David Arquette, only sober.

But Robert Plant is not like that at all, neither are Neil Young or Paul McCartney. They're on another plane. They're the ones that people like Corgan tell stories about meeting.

20. scotchandcigar

The windows streaming app has been acting weird lately (it might be my laptop). I have a hard time skipping and jumping around. It seemed like every time I moved ahead, I'd either land on a live read, or MFB's voice, or it would get stuck at wherever I was.