Wap

Discussion in 'DRC Site Feedback' started by limegrass69, Nov 17, 2008.

1. limegrass69

limegrass69 Confused

How about a WAP friendly version of the page so that we can browse and post on the go?

2. snakester

snakester Member

I was thinking the same thing. I'm lucky enough that my phone can run Opera Mini (most tmobile phones are locked down HARD) but if I'm a little absent minded and close the flip it quits out of it, not to mention it takes forever to load. A wap friendly version would be nice, like SBS had.

3. dlynx

dlynx Member

I'm sure that we can come up with something for those using tiny browsers. I'm not sure of what SBS used for the mobile version, however I've used some other sites, and run one that a minimalistic style/theme for mobile use.

The question is should it focus on getting the content out, or making it pretty with all the frills just mobile? I prefer the first way on a phone, graphics and all that nonsense don't really add anything but load time.

4. limegrass69

limegrass69 Confused

Agreed. In many cases I disable the graphics on my Blackberry browser because I really would rather just get at the text. The Blackberry, while it has come a long way, is not the greatest at rendering graphics...especially if the site was not designed with a mobile device in mind.

Opera Mini is a pretty decent compromise, but sometimes it is not an option. And the typical Blackberry user may not realize that they can download an alternative browser.

5. jef

jef Power Pig, Hello!

I don't know how well they work, but Vbulletin has some mods available that handle detection of mobile devices and forcing a certain style for them. Some BB mods are a PITA to manage though, as upgrades to the main code can often break them.

6. riskybzns

riskybzns Well-Known Member

i have a moto q9c and use opera mini and it normally will load a page here on drc within 2-3 seconds.

7. snakester

snakester Member

I'd go with something like SBS had. It had virtually no graphics and it was really snappy loading.

8. MM

MM Administrator

We will do something similar.

9. I would love it as the big bosses see everything we browse to on the internet, so I surf on my phone!!!

10. semipenguin

semipenguin Bum Looker

Wap? Isn't that how someone with a lisp says Wrap?...:right:

I know when I use my phone to view DRC, it take forever to view a thread...:(

Lucky you...:(

11. semipenguin

semipenguin Bum Looker

Is this what a wap looks like? Checking out the new DRC Mobile this morning. Looks good....:)

Pages download a lot faster & it's easy to move around. The only thing I can think of is having new posts on subscribed threads come up on the User CP. Other than that it looks great!...:D

Thank you, guys...:)
    Posted via Mobile Device

antsie likes this.
  12. MM

MM Administrator

The WAP skin is up and ready to go. Thanks dlynx!

13. limegrass69

limegrass69 Confused

Nice job on that!! :clap:

14. snakester

snakester Member

Little problem: It's not actually recognizing one of my phones as a phone, making it try to load the full version of the site and failing miserable.

15. dlynx

dlynx Member

As a last resort, if you can not get it to load the page and use the drop down at the bottom, use this link in your browser:
    http://www.digitalradiocentral.com/forum.php?styleid=6 and it'll get you to the main forum list using the mobile style.

16. snakester

snakester Member

Cool. That works. I wonder what makes it not recognize my phone as being a phone though.

17. limegrass69

limegrass69 Confused

What phone and browser are you using?

18. snakester

snakester Member

I'm using the stock browser in a samsung t409 on t-mobile. Like I said earlier, t-mobile aggressively app-locks their phones so opera mini isn't a choice for me(they accomplish this by making all apps that aren't signed not able to access the network, then deleting all the certificates off the phone except themselves, so there's no way I know of to defeat it).

19. dlynx

dlynx Member

It stopped recognizing your phone because I turned that portion of the system off due to complaints from those that were getting forced into the mobile version when their phone could handle the full site.

20. semipenguin

semipenguin Bum Looker

It wasn't me.
    Posted via Mobile Device