Waiver Wire Wonders?

Ifandorbut

Oct 12, 2008
Penny to the Giants
Jose Contreras to the Rockies
Jon Garland and Jim Thome to the Dodgers?

WTF?????

Chicago is throwing the balance of the NL West crazy.

IdRatherBeSkiing

Sherbet is NOT and NEVER WILL BE ice cream.
Oct 11, 2008
Toronto, ON
I didn't think the White Sox were that far out.

I think Colorado got the better end of the stick. Contreras is having a bad year but can be a dominating pitcher. Maybe under new surroundings he will rebound down the stretch.

I am not sure what the Dogers are thinking. A DH who can't play the field will be next to useless except for maybe 1 bat / game.

AJ_II

Oct 13, 2008
Houston, TX
I am not sure what the Dogers are thinking. A DH who can't play the field will be next to useless except for maybe 1 bat / game.

They can use him like the Astros used Bagwell in late '05 and during their playoff run...strictly as a pinch hitter, and if they get there, as a DH in the World Series.

Steel Cranium

Nov 12, 2008
NorthEast Ohio
Jim can still play 1st, just not a lot of consecutive games. Could also work a few innings at a time. Will be interesting to see how he hits around Manny. They were good for some back-to-back HRs with the Indians.

AJ_II

Oct 13, 2008
Houston, TX
Jim can still play 1st, just not a lot of consecutive games. Could also work a few innings at a time.

Maybe. But the last time Thome played in the field was in 2007 and he did it for one game. Plus with Loney being a Gold Glove-caliber 1st baseman, I don't see Torre putting him out there too often.

Ifandorbut

Oct 12, 2008
Penny just threw an eight inning goose egg at the Phillies. He also had a ten pitch at bat that wore Happ out quite a bit. After one day I would say the Giants have scored the best deal thus far.

Oh, by the way, Penny hates the Dodgers right now, I guess that makes him a Giant for life.

AJ_II

Oct 13, 2008
Houston, TX
Penny just threw an eight inning goose egg at the Phillies. After one day I would say the Giants have scored the best deal thus far.

Giambi hit a game-winning single for the Rockies tonight. Not too bad...

Kazmir pitched pretty well for the Angels today (6.1 IP, 1 ER, 8 K).

Jon

Dec 16, 2008
Like I said in the MLB thread, this is going right down to the last weekend, barring any major meltdowns by any one of the three teams.

I'm not sold on Contreras, he's 5-19 this year with the last few games getting lit up like Times Square at night. However, he has a history as a dominating pitcher, and maybe getting out from under that wackjob Ozzie Guillen will do him some good. If I recall correctly, isn't Contreras also about 38 years old, or so?

AJ_II

Oct 13, 2008
Houston, TX
I'm not sold on Contreras, he's 5-19 this year with the last few games getting lit up like Times Square at night. However, he has a history as a dominating pitcher, and maybe getting out from under that wackjob Ozzie Guillen will do him some good. If I recall correctly, isn't Contreras also about 38 years old, or so?

Contreras is 37 years old, has a 5-13 record, and hasn't been anything close to dominant since 2005. That said, he still has some good stuff and in any one given game he can certainly shut the other team down. Just not on a consistent basis.

Jose Contreras Statistics and History - Baseball-Reference.com

Jon

Dec 16, 2008
It's the consistency part I'm afraid of. Although it was a deal for pitching depth and will look better once Aaron Cook is off the DL. If that happens in time for the playoffs.

AJ_II

Oct 13, 2008
Houston, TX
It's the consistency part I'm afraid of. Although it was a deal for pitching depth and will look better once Aaron Cook is off the DL. If that happens in time for the playoffs.

Huston Street out indefinitely...that may hurt.