U.s. Cities After Global Warming

Wolf

Oct 11, 2008
Phoenix
Your world, underwater: Here’s what US cities will look like after global warming – Quartz

bayofla_260_forweb_small.jpg

islandsofseattle20140414_forweb_smaller.jpg

ladetail1.jpg

sandiego_forweb_smaller_20140922.jpg

coachella-valley_24x18_websmaller.jpg

Wolf

Oct 11, 2008
Phoenix
Damn I guess Arizona still won't have any ocean front property when parts of California goes under.

semipenguin

Cheeseburger Connoisseur
Oct 11, 2008
Janesville, MN
The Earth isn't as tilted at it used to be. That let's warmer air travel further North & South in Winter months. It allows cooler weather to move towards the middle in warmer months.

Tropic of Cancer - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

Look at how the Tropic of Cancer has moved South from 2005 to 2010.

440px-Trópico_de_Cáncer_en_México_-_Carretera_83_(Vía_Corta)_Zaragoza-Victoria,_Km_27+800.jpg

We can conclude that all global warming is man made. One good volcanic blast will change the climate to a global cooling.

hyson

Forum Jerk
Oct 19, 2008
This thread is about climate change/global warming. How can that lead to anything political? It's science.

Reactions: blyons200

HecticArt

Administrator
Oct 19, 2008
Toledo, Ohio
Thanks for the sarcasm.

You've been making yourself quite popular with the other members of this forum. Don't fuck with me.
Easy big fella.
This thread is about climate change/global warming. How can that lead to anything political? It's science.
You know better.

I don't pretend to say that there aren't natural events and cycles that have, are, and will change weather patterns.
I am very confident that science has proven (and more and more scientists confirm) that humans have caused a tremendous amount of damage to the environment and been the cause of a very measurable negative effect on the weather.

Semi, you mentioned how badly one volcano can effect things, which is true. Isn't it easy to picture that 100 years worth of factories, automobiles, deforestation, and all of the other crap we do to the environment can add up like several volcanoes?

The way I look at it is that, even if the scientists are overreacting (which I don't think is the case,) we're still messing up a lot of of the environment for future generations. Civilization has come along far enough that we can easily do the right thing, clean up our act, and not leave such a path of destruction behind. What does it hurt to spend a few bucks to build cleaner factories and more efficient cars, find better fuel sources, and be more responsible with our waste? If nature is shifting things on it's own, we shouldn't be accelerating it. Just my 2 cents.

HecticArt

Administrator
Oct 19, 2008
Toledo, Ohio
Carbon credits are bullshit.
Yeah, I've never understood why the hell those made any sense.
They seem like a bribe for people that don't want to do the right thing, but want to pay someone off to pretend they are being responsible.

semipenguin

Cheeseburger Connoisseur
Oct 11, 2008
Janesville, MN
I don't pretend to say that there aren't natural events and cycles that have, are, and will change weather patterns.
I am very confident that science has proven (and more and more scientists confirm) that humans have caused a tremendous amount of damage to the environment and been the cause of a very measurable negative effect on the weather.

Semi, you mentioned how badly one volcano can effect things, which is true. Isn't it easy to picture that 100 years worth of factories, automobiles, deforestation, and all of the other crap we do to the environment can add up like several volcanoes?

The way I look at it is that, even if the scientists are overreacting (which I don't think is the case,) we're still messing up a lot of of the environment for future generations. Civilization has come along far enough that we can easily do the right thing, clean up our act, and not leave such a path of destruction behind. What does it hurt to spend a few bucks to build cleaner factories and more efficient cars, find better fuel sources, and be more responsible with our waste? If nature is shifting things on it's own, we shouldn't be accelerating it. Just my 2 cents.

We have a responsibility to keep our environment the best we can. Not just for us, but also for the animals we share this planet with.

But to say we're 100% the cause of the planet warming, I can't agree with that.

Casual Fan

Surprisingly nice
Oct 14, 2008
Roanoke, VA
Yeah, I've never understood why the hell those made any sense.
They seem like a bribe for people that don't want to do the right thing, but want to pay someone off to pretend they are being responsible.

That's how tax incentives work. You get paid to do something the government wants you to do. The government encourages home ownership and having kids, so you get deductions and credits. The government wants less CO2, so it says you have to buy credits if you want to pollute more.

Business only responds to a stick. And that stick is money.

Reactions: HecticArt

HecticArt

Administrator
Oct 19, 2008
Toledo, Ohio
We have a responsibility to keep our environment the best we can. Not just for us, but also for the animals we share this planet with.

But to say we're 100% the cause of the planet warming, I can't agree with that.
Agreed. I'm not saying it's 100% caused by man (or women, am I right people? Equal share people. Equal share.) but there is proof and consensus amongst scientists that we are farking things up. Like you said, we have a responsibility to not fark things up. We can fix some of our wrongdoing too. Nature can still do whatever it's going to do, but we shouldn't help it along.

blyons200

These pretzels are making me thirsty.
Oct 12, 2008
The BBQ Capital
That's how tax incentives work. You get paid to do something the government wants you to do. The government encourages home ownership and having kids, so you get deductions and credits. The government wants less CO2, so it says you have to buy credits if you want to pollute more.

Business only responds to a stick. And that stick is money.
Carbon credits are a big scam and money making scheme. #croneycapitalism

If you're serious about CO2 emissions you cap it, period, use huge fines and shutdowns as the stick. Global warming is a big money making scam for carbon credit traders and so called "green" companies.

Besides all that if it is true, there is nothing we can do because China is spewing out insane pollution these days. How you gonna stop them? And whats the backlash for nuclear power. Todays nuclear power is not your grandpas nuclear power. No one is really serious, they talk a big game but in the end it's all about money and they don't do shit. The very existence of a "green" economy is proof enough global warmin/climate change is bullshit.

Last edited:
Reactions: hyson

HecticArt

Administrator
Oct 19, 2008
Toledo, Ohio
You're missing the science behind it Bly.
The marketing of climate change by the green companies is real. Sure, they are making money off of it. That's what business and opportunity are all about. Why shouldn't they make money? Are some of em full of crap? Sure, just like every other business.

The marketing of climate change being a farce is an even bigger revenue generator by the pollution generating giants that don't want to clean up their acts because they don't want to invest in cleaner technology and don't want to put effort into doing things differently.

And just because China isn't cleaning up, we're not supposed to? That's pretty lame. Since when did China ever do anything we've really aspired to anyway?

semipenguin

Cheeseburger Connoisseur
Oct 11, 2008
Janesville, MN
I believe we should do everything we can to keep our environment as clean as we possibly can, but there's a segment of the population that believes economy & jobs come before pollution reduction.

They point to China as an example of a country that's going to keep prospering while we would become an economic wreck.

China is the largest recycler in the world. We ship things to China just so they can be recycled. Why can't we do those things here?

Instead of mining coal, we can have people recycle.

No we can't. Because the people that own the mine have people in Washington in their pocket.

Casual Fan

Surprisingly nice
Oct 14, 2008
Roanoke, VA
The US and China just signed a large carbon emissions deal. China is concerned about global warming, if for no other reasons than their communist central committee can't walk out the front door into the streets of Beijing without coughing and wheezing. They are among the world leaders in alternative energy production and installation, because they have future demands for energy that far outstrip what gas and oil can provide.

China is still very much a third-world country, like India. While they have many wealthy citizens and many world-class high-tech companies (like India), much of the population lives in poverty (again, like India). They're a giant contradiction. They can't just say, "Okay, we'll become Germany and power a third of the economy on solar and wind in 10 years" because the problem is too great. They have hundreds of millions of people living in mud huts burning wood to cook vegetables.

So, you have to treat China and India and Brazil and the like differently. The US situation is one in which we could scale back our carbon emissions greatly if not for the vast amounts of money flowing into Congress to maintain the status quo, which is drill, baby, drill. We're a net exporter of oil and gas, for Pete's sake.

Reactions: HecticArt