Tipping

Oren

Oct 13, 2008
NE NJ
Did you guys hear Kevin Nealon?

I THINK I talked about this on the board... tipping in NYC. And I CAN'T STAND "bathroom attendants".

I have to say it again... it annoys me to death...

Here it goes...

You go into a public bathroom, and an "attendant" is standing at the sink with THE squirt bottle of soap AND the paper towels. AND they have a basket (always a big, flat, wide basket with lots of bills in it).

You have to go to the bathroom with them there, THEN when you go to the sink (LOL!) they will reach over and squirt one pump of soap in your hand (a cheap supermarket soap, like "softsoap" or worse), and when you're done washing your hands they will hand you A paper towel. (the attendant has control of all/any soap and paper towels). You have no access to soap or towels on your own.

THAT means you pay $1 -$3. (Yeah, you can leave without paying, but then you look like a total d-bag!).

I think it's obnoxious. I am used to tipping, but using the bathroom, with him in there, then holding all hand soap and towels HOSTAGE FOR MONEY irks me to no end. :mad:

memebag

Top Brass, ADVP
Oct 11, 2008
Lake Huntzing
I am against it, but if you're the one who doesn't, you kinda look terrible.

Again, who will know or care? The guy you don't want to tip? Other bathroom guests? Perhaps it will embolden them to refuse as well, and lead to the end of this silly racket.

Or are you peeing in front of someone you want to impress?

HecticArt

Administrator
Oct 19, 2008
Toledo, Ohio
Again, who will know or care? The guy you don't want to tip? Other bathroom guests? Perhaps it will embolden them to refuse as well, and lead to the end of this silly racket.

If I'm peeing in front of them,
they will be impressed. . . .

goreds2

Oct 14, 2008
OH H.....EYE OH
tipping.jpg

Oren

Oct 13, 2008
NE NJ

LOL! That's not how it works.

Yes, I HAVE not tipped, but that's always after I have. Here's the typical situation..

NYC concert, very expensive tickets, great, intimate atmosphere. Lots of (expensive) drinks.

THEN you go into the bathroom and encounter the "attendant"...

Just F-ING let me have soap and the paper towels!!! What is the purpose??? It's not germs, because I have to touch the handles on the sink, the door knob coming in and out, etc.

It's absolutely OBNOXIOUS. I don't WANT this "service" yet everyone is forced to deal with it.

Wolf

Oct 11, 2008
Phoenix
Here an option, but it a bit disgusting, After you do your business or pee. Just walk past the attendant and sinks, that way you don't have to tip him or use there products.

Oren

Oct 13, 2008
NE NJ
Here an option, but it a bit disgusting, After you do your business or pee. Just walk past the attendant and sinks, that way you don't have to tip him or use there products.

No. I always wash. And especially in NYC. You end up touching things that hundreds have touched. Stair rails, chairs, tables, and it goes on and on..

And in the bathroom??

You're having a great night then you are forced to deal with this BS when you have to use the bathroom?!?!

Anyway, I don't think I completely expressed my thoughts on this. (LOL)

And then there are elevator attendants that push the button for you. :ter:

:whistle:

IdRatherBeSkiing

Sherbet is NOT and NEVER WILL BE ice cream.
Oct 11, 2008
Toronto, ON
No. I always wash. And especially in NYC. You end up touching things that hundreds have touched. Stair rails, chairs, tables, and it goes on and on..

And in the bathroom??

You're having a great night then you are forced to deal with this BS when you have to use the bathroom?!?!

Anyway, I don't think I completely expressed my thoughts on this. (LOL)

And then there are elevator attendants that push the button for you. :ter:

:whistle:

Bring your own hand sanitizer. Grab it out of your pocket and use it and then give the guy a coy smile and walk out.

Jon

Dec 16, 2008
Just tip the guy a buck or two. No harm done. I know I've worked positions where I'm being paid primarily tips (sometimes ALL I'm making is tips) and I always got at least a dollar. The biggest tippers were around this time of year for the holidays. Even the smallest amount is appreciated. Personally, even if the service is bad, I still give a dollar.

Wolf

Oct 11, 2008
Phoenix
I'm not germophobic, but I do find it disgusting that men can't even bother washing there damn hands after they do there business in the restroom, specially some of my co-workers at my job! I make sure to wash my hands and take a paper towel to open up the door knob, so I don't that nasty door handle.

Jon

Dec 16, 2008
I'm not germophobic, but I do find it disgusting that men can't even bother washing there damn hands after they do there business in the restroom, specially some of my co-workers at my job! I make sure to wash my hands and take a paper towel to open up the door knob, so I don't that nasty door handle.

I work in health care where they could fire someone for not washing hands. I've worked around patients with MRSA, C-Diff, Hep B, TB, meningitis, and any number of nasty viruses, so I ALWAYS make sure I wash hands after I use the bathroom, and before and after patient care.

ProperModulation

Green Type of Tube
Oct 11, 2008
California
Take the soap and towel, say thanks then walk out. The dude should get a real job and not just a bs position invented to suck more tips out of customers. I rarely tip anyone but taxi drivers and waiters/waitresses. Oh, and delivery guys.

Sent from my DROIDX using Tapatalk

Reactions: jef

Oren

Oct 13, 2008
NE NJ

You nailed it, Wolf.

NYC, and I'm sure all big cities, are terrible with regard to that. Men are gross with washing (I've seen it), and I know from my wife that some women are really bad too.

I do the paper towel and the door knob thing too, but if an attendant is rationing the paper towels, dolling them out, and you have to go back to him, it's ridiculous.

It's SO unnecessary. Obnoxious to the nth degree.