The world according to IdRatherBeSkiing

IdRatherBeSkiing

Sherbet is NOT and NEVER WILL BE ice cream.
Oct 11, 2008
Toronto, ON
A general thread to talk about me (or in this case my wife).

From Aaron's Song of the Day thread:
Oh my goodness!!! I don't want to drive this thread too off-topic, but of course I hope she's doing alright these days.......?

@sadchild She has some lingering issues from the accident. But we had adapted. She has other issues now.

From milestones thread:
2017:
I voted for personal milestone and have a nice picture from our balcony at Barbados. This trip was a milestone celebration trip. Last spring, my wife started feeling unwell. Towards the end of the spring this resulted in the first of many trips to the hospital and the eventual diagnosis in September of cancer. She started treatment in October which kicked her butt almost as much as the cancer and included many more trips to the hospital. She completed treatment in February and this trip was our carrot at the end to celebrate the milestone of being cancer free. So once I get the ability to post an avatar, I will make this mine for at least a week.

2020/05/21:
After 3 years my wife's cancer has come back although in a different part of the body. She starts her next round of chemo tomorrow. With COVID rules, I am not allowed to visit her in the hospital (she has been there since Saturday). I have been able to facetime and call. Her best case prognosis is not good but it is also not 0.

I didn't mention the type of cancer before (not sure why) but it is CNS Lymphoma. There is some debate in the medical community whether this is the same cancer (lymphoma) which she had before. General consensus is no but having lymphoma is usuallty a pre-requicite for having it in her brain. Her initial symtoms in May was inability to say the right words and a headache which has persisted since April. Her family doctor has diagnosed the headache as likely stress (with covid stuff). That was on the Monday prior to admittance. On Saturday her speech had gotten worse so we called the telehealth line and they forwarded to 911 and off she went to the hospital. They were thinking stroke. By midnight that night I got called from a different hospital by a doctor and given the wonderful news. We have since learned that it likely started no more than 3-5 weeks prior to our call and if we had done nothing she would likely have been dead within 2 weeks. During the week prior to chemo she lost ability to understand where she was and why she was there and short term memory. She wrote down some key words so when she woke up she would not outright panic. Her texting and writing was also affected. Communication was difficult during this time.

As a means of an update, my wife is on round 3 of chemo now. Here condition improved almost immediately after her first chemo. She was able to speak more clearly each daty. The tumor has decreased in size. She has 1 more round of chemo after this then they would do a stem cell treatment which is pretty risky. This round of chemo has been difficult. She is still in the hospital now 10 days after admittance (normal is 4). The drugs have side effects which seem to have resulted in soft tissue damage in the legs. She is currently unable to walk.

II am still unable to visit. They have reduced the restrictions but not far enough. That is the hardest part. Thank god for FaceTime. Had this been 10 years ago it would be even harder.

• Sad
  • Wow
Reactions: sadchild and JHDK

HecticArt

Administrator
Oct 19, 2008
Toledo, Ohio
Damn IRBS. I've been wondering how she's been doing, but have been a little chicken to ask.

It sounds like the first 2 rounds of chemo have been encouraging. Hopefully this latest round works out after the side effects subside.

Good luck. I hope she's getting better soon.

Reactions: IdRatherBeSkiing

IdRatherBeSkiing

Oct 11, 2008
Toronto, ON
With my new found ability to transfer cassettes to MP3s I have been transferring old tapes our family made on New Years Eve (or thereabouts) for every year from 1973 to 1986. We called it "As The Years Go By". We would each give a summary of our year. I am finding it quite sentimental to hear my mom again. I also am reminded how much of a dork I was as a teenager.

JHDK

Release Robin's Bra
Oct 11, 2008
Hyrule
Oh man IdRather, I just read through this and I'm sorry for you both. You're so right about facetime, it must be really hard now and if all you could do was call it would be even worse. Glad to hear there is improvement and I hope it will continue in the right direction.

geosync

Oct 13, 2008
Portland, Or
Hold onto those memories for sure. As a brain case I've been through all those mind maladies your wife has. Just finished a weekend at the beach and it was a bit stressful being around family so today the brain is pretty mushy. Stay clear of the bright lights of the tv, phone, or computer if she's having trouble with short term memory, speech difficulties or any type of mild seizure. The chemo hit me hardest the second round, barfed. Your body still wants to reject it but it gets better as far as what to expect. Of course each round just simply wares down the body. Has she had an MRI on the brain?

IdRatherBeSkiing

Oct 11, 2008
Toronto, ON
She has had several. The tumor has been greatly reduced. The stuff on her legs is an infection which took hold due to the chemo's effect on the immune system.

Fortunately she has been seizure free.

Reactions: HecticArt

geosync

Oct 13, 2008
Portland, Or
That's good. Check the numerous types and effects of different seizure if you haven't. There's the ones where you fall on your face, like me, and there's ones where just nod off for a minute.

JHDK

Release Robin's Bra
Oct 11, 2008
Hyrule
No fever but she can't hold anything down.

You sure she didn't go on a 7 day, hardcore whiskey bender? Cause those symptoms sound very familiar.

Really though, sorry to hear of yet another complication. I hope she pulls through quickly.

sadchild

Dude
Mar 28, 2016
NH
www.asimplecomplex.com
I just found this thread. Someone mentioned "Studio Lounge" recently so I came in and found this. Not sure how I missed the original tag.

Damn, brother. Keep your chin up. You and your wife are soldiers for finding the strength to persevere and work to make the gains you have along the way. I wish the best for you both.

Not detract from the main subject, or 'try to outdo', or anything else except to comment on something similar, my father-in-law suffered a spine injury two years ago (Aug 2018) and remains paralyzed from the shoulders down. Your mention of 'stem cell therapy' above brought it to mind. He (and several of his family) went to South America and got stem cell therapy. It helped with the spams, but unfortunately he regained very little in his ability to move his arms and legs (we were hoping for a miracle).

Anyway, no commentary necessary on my stuff, please. Plenty to focus on with IRBS in his own thread. Just relating to the the caring for a family member, watching them suffer, helping them as much as you can, and wishing you could do more.

scotchandcigar

All I wanted was some steak
Feb 13, 2009
Vacationland
I just found this thread. Someone mentioned "Studio Lounge" recently so I came in and found this. Not sure how I missed the original tag.

Damn, brother. Keep your chin up. You and your wife are soldiers for finding the strength to persevere and work to make the gains you have along the way. I wish the best for you both.

Not detract from the main subject, or 'try to outdo', or anything else except to comment on something similar, my father-in-law suffered a spine injury two years ago (Aug 2018) and remains paralyzed from the shoulders down. Your mention of 'stem cell therapy' above brought it to mind. He (and several of his family) went to South America and got stem cell therapy. It helped with the spams, but unfortunately he regained very little in his ability to move his arms and legs (we were hoping for a miracle).

Anyway, no commentary necessary on my stuff, please. Plenty to focus on with IRBS in his own thread. Just relating to the the caring for a family member, watching them suffer, helping them as much as you can, and wishing you could do more.
You can start your own thread; everybody's got one.

Reactions: sadchild and JHDK

sadchild

Dude
Mar 28, 2016
NH
www.asimplecomplex.com
@scotchandcigar Thanks I might. For now I'll stick to music and the 333 thread and if later I feel the urge to expound on things beyond my bizarre musical tastes, I will fire one up!

@IdRatherBeSkiing Hope things are improving since the ER.

PS - the sentence in my above post should read "It helped with the spasms", not "It helped with the spams". His email is just fine.

IdRatherBeSkiing

Oct 11, 2008
Toronto, ON
A couple of updates. My wife came home last Wednesday. They think the issues are just a side effect of her last chemo. She is recovering slowly. It looks like they have cancelled her last chemo. The tumour is down to 1mm and stagnant so the risk of another chemo outweigh the gain.

On another note, I have found I enjoy cooking. When I worked downtown I never had the energy or time when I got home to entertain the idea. And I am married to a wonderful cook so there was no pressing need. But with her temporarily out of commission in that regard and me working from home I have made some meals that turned out pretty good and didn't kill anybody. So far my specialty seems to be pork chops with some sort of potato dish. I slice the small potatoes into circles, add some oil and bake them in the oven. They are like fries but disks. My son, an avid potato hater, loves them. I have also made hamburgers and chicken parmasen. I kind of enjoy it. I turn on my tunes and use siri and the oven as timers and go to it. The most difficult thing is timing everything to come out at the end at the same time. I seem to have gotten that down now.

JHDK

Release Robin's Bra
Oct 11, 2008
Hyrule
That's all good news IdRather!

Now go make me a sandwich with a side of those disk fries.

Reactions: sadchild