The Future Of Siriusxm?

Discussion in 'SiriusXM Soundwave Cafe' started by HecticArt, Feb 21, 2016.

1. HecticArt

HecticArt Administrator

2. Aaron

Aaron Moderator

Good find... well done article

3. IdRatherBeSkiing

IdRatherBeSkiing This space for rent

I think eventually they will disappear as will all providers. Everybody has his day. I think they will be around for a while though.

4. MadisonRadio1

MadisonRadio1 MadisonRadio

I just got a couple of new streamers with my new home internet plan and I'm just really exploring SXM's internet and on demand content for the first time. Hasn't internet services like pandora been around for quite some time now and SXM's subcribers still keep going up.

5. IndustrialH

IndustrialH "So much music .... so little time..."

6. Jon

Jon Well-Known Member

To me Sirius would make a nice accompaniment to other services. I'd like to put something in my car now that has CarPlay, HD Radio, And Sirius so it wouldn't be hard to find something to listen to.
    Especially when the public stations are having their beg-a-thons or all the music channels go to commercial at once.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

7. HecticArt

HecticArt Administrator

I listen to Sirius mostly. It's very convenient for me, but I listen to Slacker, my cd's and mp3s, and a little bit of fm to hear what's going on locally. In the car it's only Sirius and fm. Streaming isn't convenient for me through my phone, but more integrated/connected options wouldn't be bad. It's good to see that SXM knows they have to evolve to stay relevant.

8. kc1ih

kc1ih Member

The thing is a lot of this "connected" stuff works in the cities and suburbs where there is good cellular internet access, but not so much in more rural areas. Satellite works most everywhere in North America.

9. scotchandcigar

scotchandcigar arrogant bastard

It's true that with satrad, you get crystal clear reception in big, open areas, away from any city, where cell towers don't exist. But other than the occasional road trip, traveling salesman, or cross-country trucker, it's not likely that most people will see that benefit.

10. HecticArt

HecticArt Administrator

I see the benefit every day. My commute isn't very long, but the only FM stations that I listen to don't get me half way to work without station drift. When my commute was shorter, half of my drive would be filled with commercials. (I still don't understand why every radio station goes to commercial break at the same time. It isn't TV after all.) That, and if I want to listen to any kind of variety at all, FM doesn't have it.

I get why people pick other services than satellite - options are good to have. I'm just glad that SXM is wise to the fact that they need to evolve to survive. Nobody thought that satellite radio would fly (pun intended) and they have done pretty well so far. If they can stay ahead of the curve, they should be around for a long time. We can see that they aren't putting all of their energy into receivers any more. The focus on internet delivery is ramping up. (But I still don't understand why their web-player isn't all that great.) If their connected car efforts take off, I could see them moving away from the satellites all together in the next 12 to 15 years.

11. semipenguin

semipenguin Bum Looker

Satellites are limited, hard to fix, & costly to replace. Repeaters need maintenance.

An app is earier to update.

HecticArt likes this.
  12. HecticArt

HecticArt Administrator

All true. Watching them shift from equipment to web-based shows that they're accepting that for themselves. It still takes me back to wondering why they can't deliver a rock solid app yet.......

semipenguin likes this.
  13. geosync

geosync Well-Known Member

Yeah speaking of apps, my friend who's been leaching off my app for years has gone to setting up a new e-mail every month to get a free trial until his new car's sub is due to be paid. Pretty good scam job.

14. IndustrialH

IndustrialH "So much music .... so little time..."

If you are above the 49th and live more than 150-200 further north it is a god-send. Most of the smaller towns have relatively low powered FM and rarely AM, and the terrain in some provinces does not allow the signal to travel far. As for mobile - signals cover the major routes and populated areas, forget the rest. In BC, the difference between travelling in the lower mainland and north of Hope (where the first Rambo film was filmed) is night and day. Not only the local stations, but also the ones from Washington State - including HD are available by the border. Between Hope and Merritt - heading north - bugger all (Australian English), and less going on up. It's the Tyranny of Distance.
    Whether there are enough customers to support the service here long term who knows, we may see shortly -

semipenguin likes this.
  15. HecticArt

HecticArt Administrator

That's an interesting read. I'm curious where the dust will settle.

16. Jon

Jon Well-Known Member

I live in an area where LTE is everywhere, as is Wifi. It's a very rare occasion that I venture that far out. As much as satellite would work for music selection, it wouldn't as the only option. Especially considering there are apps and Internet radio stations for pretty much every kind of music. And the one sport that still works on the radio (MLB) has its own app.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

HecticArt likes this.
  17. MadisonRadio1

My Sony Streamer has SXM on demand content while my Roku 3 only has the SXM channels. So I'm liking the Sony better.

semipenguin likes this.
  18. MadisonRadio1

All in all with 30 million subscribers the future looks good.

HecticArt likes this.
  19. MadisonRadio1

The local car rental now charges $5.99 per day for SXM. But apparently they an easy way to activate in and de activate.

20. IdRatherBeSkiing

IdRatherBeSkiing This space for rent

It really should be free in every rental car. Make people hear the service and want it.