The Cigar Thread

hyson

Forum Jerk
Oct 19, 2008
I'm just learning about the fine craft of cigar smoking and thought I'd gauge the forum's interest in it, if at all.

I tried a few selections from a sampler I ordered from Thompson Cigar company and an Arturo Fuente. I'm not sure I understand cigars yet.

What are some thoughts?

HecticArt

Administrator
Oct 19, 2008
Toledo, Ohio
I like a good stinker!
I only smoke a couple a year anymore though.

I used to subscribe to Cigar Aficionado back in the day. They have all kinds of ratings each month. Check out their website to see if they are still offering them for free, or just pick up an issue every now and then.

I usually like Robustos. Fat like Churchill's, so they burn nice and cool, but shorter, so it doesn't take you 4 hours to finish one.

They are like wine to me. I don't know what all of those subtle flavors are that I'm tasting unless I read a review that tells me what I'm tasting. Even then, I only detect some of them.

memebag

Top Brass, ADVP
Oct 11, 2008
Lake Huntzing
There isn't a lot to understand. Try a bunch and smoke what you enjoy.

Fuentes are some of my favorites. They have a cheap brand called Montesino that I love more than anything but real Cuban Cohiba Siglo Vs.

voliconjoe

Jan 11, 2011
With cigars, it's all about atmosphere. You need to be one with the smoke. Also it's a good chaser with coniac. Also no "debbie downers" allowed. These are the retards that sit there and try to tell you about how bad smoking is when what's really killing you is constant bitching and nagging.

You'll need to invest in teeth whitening strips too.

limegrass69

Confused
Oct 12, 2008
New York
I used to smoke them a lot more. I've really cut down...maybe 2 or 3 a year at a social function. It's hard to do while at the same time telling your kids that smoking is bad.

HecticArt

Administrator
Oct 19, 2008
Toledo, Ohio
There isn't a lot to understand. Try a bunch and smoke what you enjoy.

Fuentes are some of my favorites. They have a cheap brand called Montesino that I love more than anything but real Cuban Cohiba Siglo Vs.
I've had 8 or 9 cuban's (cigars wolf) and didn't think they were all that special considering that they were $20 to $30 each. I think you can get just as good of a smoke for $5 to $8. I've had a lot of really good smokes for under $5.

Hyson -
If you've got a cigar shop anywhere near you, just wander in and talk to the guy. Tell him you want a little variety. He should be able to hook you up with some good options.

hyson

Forum Jerk
Oct 19, 2008
Hyson -
If you've got a cigar shop anywhere near you, just wander in and talk to the guy. Tell him you want a little variety. He should be able to hook you up with some good options.
He's the one who hooked me up with the Arturo Fuentes (I think I have 2 different types).

I'm having a ball reading up on the reviews and different options. There's a lot to know, despite MahMahBahg's opinion.

robhurlburt

Oct 15, 2008
rarely do i smoke them, but if i do its an Arturo Fuente Curly Head ($3). It tastes good and its cheap. The guy at the cigar store told me that take all the leftovers from the "good" cigars, and stuff it into the curly head. :idunno:

HecticArt

Administrator
Oct 19, 2008
Toledo, Ohio
rarely do i smoke them, but if i do its an Arturo Fuente Curly Head ($3). It tastes good and its cheap. The guy at the cigar store told me that take all the leftovers from the "good" cigars, and stuff it into the curly head. :idunno:
Factory scraps? Pre-consumer recycled product?

memebag

Top Brass, ADVP
Oct 11, 2008
Lake Huntzing
I've had 8 or 9 cuban's (cigars wolf) and didn't think they were all that special considering that they were $20 to $30 each. I think you can get just as good of a smoke for $5 to $8. I've had a lot of really good smokes for under $5.
Some Cubans didn't do much for me, and a lot are fakes. Genuine Cuban Cohibas are a different animal. Nothing else tastes like that.

Montesino Diplomaticos are less than $3 a stick most places, but still twice as expensive as they were before CA rated them.

blyons200

These pretzels are making me thirsty.
Oct 12, 2008
The BBQ Capital
I used to enjoy a cigar every now and then. Sadly, since I quit smoking cigarettes I don't think it's good idea to have any nicotine, so no cigars for me.:(

hyson

Forum Jerk
Oct 19, 2008
Oh boy! I just smoked a nice Churchill style stogie with some wheat beer, sitting on the back deck with the dog.

Freakin fantastic!

goreds2

Oct 14, 2008
OH H.....EYE OH
I smoke one once in awhile.

Here is a good show on right now (XM 152 only). It is not replayed. I have learned alot from him.

Cigar Dave Show: 12:00 pm – 2:00 pm est. (2 hrs)

Often referred to as "the General," Cigar Dave caters to cigar lovers far and wide. Loyal followers known as "Cigar Lieutenants" tune in for news and information about cigars, spirits, and other lifestyle diversions. Call Dave at 888-SMOKE-THIS

Reactions: hyson

hyson

Forum Jerk
Oct 19, 2008
I smoke one once in awhile.

Here is a good show on right now (XM 152 only). It is not replayed. I have learned alot from him.

Cigar Dave Show: 12:00 pm – 2:00 pm est. (2 hrs)

Often referred to as "the General," Cigar Dave caters to cigar lovers far and wide. Loyal followers known as "Cigar Lieutenants" tune in for news and information about cigars, spirits, and other lifestyle diversions. Call Dave at 888-SMOKE-THIS
MOTHER of GOD! +1

I'm thrilled to hear there's something on SiriusXM.

I had a nice opportunity to smoke another one this weekend at a wedding with some Jameson. Man, sooooo good. I'm starting to understand the enjoyment of these things.

Time to buy some half decent one, I think.