The 2019 M. L. B. Season Thread

What is the toughest division in M.L.B.?

• A.L. Central

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • A.L. West

• N.L. East

• N.L. West

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

Channel98

Don't yell or hit.
Feb 2, 2019
Glendale CA
When a well-known musician or actor dies, the obituary will be noted in the Celebrity Deaths thread. A baseball player, even a well-known one, is not really a celebrity. At least I don't think so. Tyler Skaggs was likely not well-known to many people other than baseball fans. KCBS-Channel 2 in Los Angeles posted a photo of a makeshift memorial in front of Angel Stadium. The photographer must have taken the picture just as he started to fall.

tyler.jpg

Reactions: semipenguin

Channel98

Don't yell or hit.
Feb 2, 2019
Glendale CA
In today's story about the death of Tyler Skaggs, the Los Angeles Times notes "the Angels have experience dealing with tragedy." Dick Wentz died of a brain tumor in 1965. In the 1970s, Chico Ruiz, Mike Miley and Bruce Heinbechner all died in separate auto accidents; Minnie Rojas and Ed Kirkpatrick were paralyzed in seperate car crashes; and Lyman Bostock was killed in a drive-by shooting. In 1986, pitcher Donnie Moore, who needed just one more strike to clinch the AL pennant for the Angels, gave up a home run that allowed the Red Sox to rally and reach the World Series. Three years later, Moore committed suicide. In 2009, pitcher Nick Adenhart and two friends were killed by a drunk driver.

The name "Angels" seems to be eerily prophetic.

semipenguin

Cheeseburger Connoisseur
Oct 11, 2008
Janesville, MN
In today's story about the death of Tyler Skaggs, the Los Angeles Times notes "the Angels have experience dealing with tragedy." Dick Wentz died of a brain tumor in 1965. In the 1970s, Chico Ruiz, Mike Miley and Bruce Heinbechner all died in separate auto accidents; Minnie Rojas and Ed Kirkpatrick were paralyzed in seperate car crashes; and Lyman Bostock was killed in a drive-by shooting. In 1986, pitcher Donnie Moore, who needed just one more strike to clinch the AL pennant for the Angels, gave up a home run that allowed the Red Sox to rally and reach the World Series. Three years later, Moore committed suicide. In 2009, pitcher Nick Adenhart and two friends were killed by a drunk driver.

The name "Angels" seems to be eerily prophetic.

Donnie Moore shot his wife before turning the gun on himself.

She survived.

Channel98

Don't yell or hit.
Feb 2, 2019
Glendale CA
You're confusing the California Anaheim Los Angeles Angels of Anaheim with the Cleveland Los Angeles St. Louis Rams of Los Angeles. It's a common mistake.

semipenguin

Cheeseburger Connoisseur
Oct 11, 2008
Janesville, MN
I'm not a traditionalist by no means, but I'll have to get used to seeing a batter stealing first base.

I wonder how many passed balls normally happen in a nine inning game?