The 2019-2020 MLB Hot Stove Thread

Channel98

Don't yell or hit.
Feb 2, 2019
Glendale CA
Yes, the Angels hired Joe Maddon as manager – again. He managed the team for a few games in 1996 and again in 1999. A letter from Kelly Gallagher of Santa Ana in today's Los Angeles Times sports section asked one simple – and hopeful – question: "Can Joe Maddon pitch?"

Channel98

Don't yell or hit.
Feb 2, 2019
Glendale CA
Two people who were not involved in the Astros' sign-stealing scandal have been fired. I take that as a sign that the Astros are not fair and are just looking for scapegoats.

Reactions: semipenguin

semipenguin

Cheeseburger Connoisseur
Oct 11, 2008
Janesville, MN
houston-astros-asterisks-classic-mens-t-shirt.png

Channel98

Don't yell or hit.
Feb 2, 2019
Glendale CA
Nakken's former softball coaches and classmates at Sacramento State are happy for her. Former Giants first baseman Aubrey Huff is not happy. He wrote on Twitter, "Couldn't imagine taking baseball instruction from an ex female softball player. I got in trouble for wearing a thong in my own clubhouse when female reporters were present. Can’t imagine how it will play out with a full time female coach running around." Well, then it's a good thing you're retired now, isn't it, Aubrey?

HecticArt

Administrator
Oct 19, 2008
Toledo, Ohio
I took a history of baseball class in college. I know I mentioned it here yearrrrrrrrs ago. It was awesome, and counted as a normal history course. You can actually track things like wars, politics, and the economy through baseball. The professor was like 1000 years old, and his wife came with him to every class. (So cute!) He was a consultant for the movie Field of Dreams and one other. He had written books and interviewed Babe Ruth among other famous ball players.

Anyway, he talked about ballpark dimensions, how they evolved, and why they were unique at the old parks.

I loved that class. I thought it was going to be a blow-off class, but I actually learned a lot.

Reactions: semipenguin

HecticArt

Administrator
Oct 19, 2008
Toledo, Ohio
I'm thinking it'll probably work out that way,
I'm guessing that my German American Festival is likely to get called off this August too.

My three happy days of the year are opening day, a drunken noon game, and the German Fest weekend.
It's going to be a rough year.