That's one small step for man...

Aaron

Oct 10, 2008
South Louisiana
"I believe that this nation should commit itself to achieving the goal, before this decade is out, of landing a man on the Moon and returning him safely to the Earth." - JFK - May 25, 1961

July 20th marks the 40th anniversary of the Apollo 11 Moon Landing, where Neil Armstrong and Buzz Aldrin first walked on the Moon.

Was anyone here old enough to remember that awesome day?
Please share your memories.

Apollo-11-moon-landing-001.jpg

semipenguin

Cheeseburger Connoisseur
Oct 11, 2008
Janesville, MN
There are still people that believe we never went to the moon & that the whole thing was staged :right:

Oh well. Happy Moon Landing Day :)
Posted via Mobile Device

memebag

Top Brass, ADVP
Oct 11, 2008
Lake Huntzing
That's one small step for A man.

I was 3. I remember my dad was working at NASA. He had to work crazy hours during missions, and there was this weird Motorola squawk box that came home with him during missions and made horrible noises at nght. My mom made me watch the TV coverage, which was sort of boring to a 3 year old. I remember going outside, seeing the moon, and wondering why I couldn't see the astronauts on it.

kingchuck69

Joker! Joker! Joker!
Oct 11, 2008
Grand Rapids, MI
chuck69.com
When news of Walter Cronkite's death came out, I realized that I had in my record collection a two-sided 7-inch 33 RPM record that he did with CBS News called "Man on the Moon". Like I did to "Deteriorata" (see the "Vinyl Restoration" thread), I gave this scratched-up beauty the DePopper treatment and even though there's still a lot of blemishes and two minor skips, this might be the best-known clip of this historical recording out there.

http://chuck69.com/user/walter cronkite - man on the moon.mp3

Vargas

Molon Labe!
Oct 16, 2008
Western, PA
No, I wasn't alive that day.

And while I can't stand the "we didn't land on the moon, it was faked" doesn't anybody think it weird that we haven't been back. We just landed threw a flag down and said "peace out?"

HecticArt

Administrator
Oct 19, 2008
Toledo, Ohio
I missed it by just under a month. I do remember watching later moon landings on TV when I was a little kid though. I had a plastic lunar module coin bank that I remember playing with while it was on TV.

memebag

Top Brass, ADVP
Oct 11, 2008
Lake Huntzing
I had a G.I. Joe Mercury capsule. It came with a record of Alan Shepard's flight. I listened to that over and over.

I also had an Apollo command module that started out as a bottle of Tang. You put it in the oven and it shrank down to command module shape.

I had a big bag of actual strawberry food cubes. They were yummy.

HecticArt

Administrator
Oct 19, 2008
Toledo, Ohio
I had a G.I. Joe Mercury capsule. It came with a record of Alan Shepard's flight. I listened to that over and over.

I also had an Apollo command module that started out as a bottle of Tang. You put it in the oven and it shrank down to command module shape.

I had a big bag of actual strawberry food cubes. They were yummy.

Man you had all the cool toys!
That Tang shrinky dink would probably be worth a few bucks today.

Dang, I loved Tang.

Ifandorbut

Oct 12, 2008
I was temping at NASA's AV department. I had two jobs, one was filing and the other was bulk erasing old tapes.

memebag

Top Brass, ADVP
Oct 11, 2008
Lake Huntzing
I love Tang. It messed me up for real OJ, and the whole period messed me up for unprocessed foods. I wanted to live on these:

[ame=http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9WSwEeRf1Tg]YouTube - Space Food Sticks TV Commercial[/ame]

Sirius Rich

Oct 11, 2008
Houston
I just graduated from high school and had taken a summer job unloading box cars for Bridgestone Tires in Irving, Texas right next to a brand new Texas Stadium. I made $2.05 per hour and thought I was rich. I drove over to my friends house where we and about 10 other buddies stayed up all night watching TV and thought how cool it was that a man was about to walk on the moon. It all was so unreal to us.

IdRatherBeSkiing

Sherbet is NOT and NEVER WILL BE ice cream.
Oct 11, 2008
Toronto, ON
I can't remember the 69 one at all. I remember seeing several when they pulled us into the gym at school and we all watched on a B&W TV. I don't know which ones they were. I assume I saw it since I was big into space and the moon at the time. I guess its not something my 7 year old mind stored in permanent storage.

jef

Power Pig, Hello!
Oct 12, 2008

Oh man, those were awesome!

I was 3 as well - don't remember Apollo 11. I have fleeting memories of later missions (maybe 16 or 17), but thats about it. Wish I did remember more, as the whole thing fascinates me. (Downside to that is that I'd probably be much older :) )

Space fans, check out this link: Carina Software
1 day only freebies on some Astronomy apps. Get 'em while they're hot.

mynameisharper

Oct 13, 2008
Chicago
No, I wasn't alive that day.

And while I can't stand the "we didn't land on the moon, it was faked" doesn't anybody think it weird that we haven't been back. We just landed threw a flag down and said "peace out?"

Actually there have been 6 manned missions to the moon. Jack Schmitt was the last guy to walk on the moon in 1972. I'll go sit in the nerd corner now.

IdRatherBeSkiing

Sherbet is NOT and NEVER WILL BE ice cream.
Oct 11, 2008
Toronto, ON
Actually there have been 6 manned missions to the moon. Jack Schmitt was the last guy to walk on the moon in 1972. I'll go sit in the nerd corner now.

Depending on how you count there have been 10. The first 3 (Apollo 8-10) circled and scouted the moon. Of the remaining 7 which indended to land a man on the moon, 6 were successful while Apollo 13 was successfull in that nobody died.

TimTimSalabim

Oct 17, 2008
I love Tang. It messed me up for real OJ, and the whole period messed me up for unprocessed foods. I wanted to live on these:

YouTube - Space Food Sticks TV Commercial

I remember those things! I was just thinking about them the other day in fact.

I was in grade school and I seem to recall the teacher brought a TV into class to watch (but then my memory may be faulty as I was pretty young).

There's a site where you can follow the mission with all of the audio in real time:

We Choose the Moon: Celebrating the 40th Anniversary of the Apollo 11 Lunar Landing

(landing in a little over two hours from now)

Last edited:

TimTimSalabim

Oct 17, 2008
We hired internationally-renowned food scientist Mario Medri to re-engineer the formula based on original ingredients and existing samples. He worked with Kalman Vadasz of Richardson Brands, the "Michelangelo" of the confectionary business for over 40 years, to recreate the taste and texture of the originals. The results exceeded our wildest expectations. We hope you agree.

Who knew there were internationally-renowned food scientists? I think I missed my calling.