Stop using the auto tuner!!!

Discussion in 'Hip Hop, R&B, Old School' started by TSSJimmyCoN, Nov 20, 2008.

1. TSSJimmyCoN

TSSJimmyCoN Member

Look at what this D-Bag T-Pain started.....I just heard Heartless by K.west for the first time....sure I'm out of the loop, it's because I HATE hip hop today and don't listen to the radio stations..I guarantee every single song on 808s and heartbreak features this damn auto tuner!!! Lil Wayne, 50 cent, EVERYONE....THAT'S ENOUGH!!!!!!!!!! stop using the damn auto tuner!!! and stop calling it a vocoder!!!! it's a completely different feature altogether.

I'm sick of the state of hip hop.

2. chipmunk

chipmunk Member

LOL... i feel your pain bro...
    can't be mad at T-Pain, b/c he is making his money, but yeah, it's getting over done.

3. beaniemac

beaniemac Well-Known Member

totally agree, this auto tune is totally out of control. but its not just rap and r&b. I have heard country and pop artist using it too. just not as pronounced an effect. but I agree, its wack tho.

4. RyanSirius

RyanSirius Member

It's a total fail. Rap is in a sad state now. Auto-tune is terrible.

5. kingchuck69

kingchuck69 Joker! Joker! Joker!

You mean vocoder, right?

I agree, it makes anybody sound fruity.

6. v1ru5

v1ru5 Well-Known Member

Figure like this, with the Auto Tuner/Vocoder they don't have to actually sing.

7. MAJ Badmotherfarker

MAJ Badmotherfarker is drinking a beer.

There is no such thing as "hip hop" today. What they're putting out today is called "shit", there's a difference.

8. v1ru5

v1ru5 Well-Known Member

So glad Backspin is coming back.

9. hexagram

hexagram Medicinal & Recreational.

Rap/Hip-hop is not music.

I kid, I kid. (well, not really...) ;)

P.S. What is an "Auto-Tune"?

10. MAJ Badmotherfarker

My understanding is that it's a program that allows "artists" to feed sound output through a computer during live performances so that the computer can adjust their singing notes to make them on key.

11. hexagram

hexagram Medicinal & Recreational.

I see... That just proves my point... NOT music. :p

12. MAJ Badmotherfarker

We're talking about people like Kanya West that use this thing.... definitely, definitely not music.

13. ProperModulation

ProperModulation Green Type of Tube

I was at an Angels game last season and the girl singing the National Anthem was tying to emulate the auto-tune effect while she sang. It was awful and kinda aggravating since it was the national anthem. At first I thought maybe she was having a stroke or something.

14. beaniemac

beaniemac Well-Known Member

its a computer program that makes your voice sound "better" i guess to hide the flaws in one's singing. if you've heard any songs by akon, or t-pain, then you've heard auto tune. now everyone in rap is using it. especially kanye west, who did his latest album entirely with auto tune.

15. JoeTan

JoeTan Well-Known Member

That and the "marching band" drums.

16. v1ru5

v1ru5 Well-Known Member

With all the tech they use soon only their face will be needed.

17. givemealiter

givemealiter Member

you know what i don't like? i don't like how every hip hop song features multiple artist, people can't do sh*t on there own anymore!

18. JoeTan

JoeTan Well-Known Member

I think Cher used it first and was made fun of for it.

19. radsatdaily

radsatdaily Member

Even with the auto tunes the new Kanye album is one of my favorites for '08

20. TSSJimmyCoN

TSSJimmyCoN Member

a vocoder is a completely seperate entity from the auto-tuner. People often mistake them. The autotuner is a device used through software to automatically "tune" a soundwave/voice to a key you choose in the software. You can manually do it too which is actually pretty fun. A vocoder is usually an analog aparatus found in things such as a microkorg that change the way the voice sounds. A talkbox is an analog box connected through an instrument that creates that zapp/frampton sound