StarPlayr for Windows Public Alpha - GeeksToolBox, LLC

Discussion in 'SIR & XMRO Internet Radio' started by DAB, Oct 9, 2008.

1. ctkatz

ctkatz Member

still a no go. i have the .application file and the setup file stored locally, but it still won't install because it has to go online and download the . application file online.

2. phillyphan

phillyphan Member

No go for me tonight as well. Hopefully, it will be back up soon.

3. mixhail

mixhail New Member

still nothing for me either as of 7pm PST.

4. realwx

realwx New Member

Last I heard they were switching out servers.

Let me send out an email to Dave to see what's going on.

5. DAB

DAB Mod Emeritus

Dave had already told us they were doing the server swap over. I think it is just taking longer than they thought.

It will likely be back up very soon.

6. DoublEE

DoublEE Active Member

Still down as of 6 AM

7. electrostatictom

electrostatictom New Member

Still Down

10/15 and mine is still down. Anyone know when it will be running again?

8. realwx

realwx New Member

Yep, for now I'm just using the regular Sirius/XM (bleh) player, and hopefully when the servers start working again it'll be worth the wait ;)

9. phillyphan

phillyphan Member

I hope so. This player was so good that I thought it was too good to be true.

10. MM

MM Administrator

My Mac version is working. :churn:

11. deezee

deezee New Member

Will this work for Canadian Sirius subscribers? Yahoo Widget hasn't worked for me since I formatted my HD, so this would be great.

TIA

12. Grüpsaar

Grüpsaar DRC Forum Bum

I think it should. I dont remember for sure, though.

13. realwx

realwx New Member

Yep, there is an option to choose between the U.S. Sirius player and Canadian Sirius player.

14. GeeksToolBox

GeeksToolBox Member

It will be back for sure... Don't worry.

The full story and status is on starplayr.com.

Sorry... I don't have the energy to repeat the whole thing right now.

15. phillyphan

phillyphan Member

Thanks for the update. I can't wait to use this player again and to install it on my other machine. BTW, can I listen to Hardcore Sports (98) with StarPlayr?

16. phillyphan

phillyphan Member

Here is what is posted on the StarPlayr website:

GeeksToolBox / StarPlayr Windows/ StreamSmart Server Update
    I have finally gotten a real answer as to what is going on at the host. It seems my host has been sold... and that is the reason they are performing the data center move.

The inability to get a straight answer from them in a timely manner as to what was going on and why, coupled with their inability to perform the move (timely, competently, or otherwise) has deemed it necessary we search out a new host.

Our host needs to be capable, competent, and able to scale to support very large numbers of users. Even during the Alpha phase of the project the simultaneous user count is mind blowing given that the applications are not advertised and are known only by word of mouth.

We were about to release several more clients including the Windows Mobile client when this occurred... so while it is annoying and has my blood pressure through the roof... I would rather it happen now during the Alpha phase of the project.

All of that being said... we are carefully considering our options before choosing the new home for GeeksToolBox and StreamSmart.net. Our user community is very important and believe me when I say for me (and I am sure GoodTime as well) this is truly painful.

It is especially frustrating because I am very familiar with server technology and could have personally migrated to another data center easily and quickly... and I am astounded that the host is unable to do so.

I like to think we do business differently than most... we care, we are competent, and it actually matters that our users have been inconvenienced even though our offerings are currently free. We need to find a hosting solution run by a team that is part of a like minded, like motivated, and competent organization. I would like to give a timeframe on resolution, but we are in the early stages of designing and selecting a replacement hosting solution for the StreamSmart system and client distribution service.

There is a possibility things may be back up for a short time between now and the provider switch... but I can't guarantee when, for how long, and at what quality of service.

Dave

Edit: StarPlayr2 for Mac is also affected as GeeksToolBox.com provides the bandwidth for the Mac version. If it does not look lke an update will make by this weekend, we will work on and alternative solution for our Mac users.

17. GeeksToolBox

GeeksToolBox Member

If they offer it online it will definitely be available.

Thanks for reposting the notice for me :)

18. deezee

deezee New Member

I see the download page is back up. Downloaded everything and launched the program, but no action. Could be the host, might be a problem on my side. We'll wait until later to see what it is.

19. ctkatz

ctkatz Member

i downloaded the setup program that installed the other components and it would not install.

20. phillyphan

phillyphan Member

No problem. Good luck getting StarPlayr back up and running.