Sources: Apple to expand DRM-free music, new pricing

xan_user

Banned
Dec 16, 2008
Nor-Cal
Some if not most of those other companies did it fallowing itunes suit.

One thing is for sure. Its nice to see it finally go! took long enough!

:bigclap:

DAB

Mod Emeritus
Oct 9, 2008
Louisiana
No they did it because that was the only way they would have been allowed to sell digital music downloads. I think you under estimate the control that the record labels and RIAA exerted on these digital stores including iTunes.

Just because iTunes was first doesn't mean they had the ability to buck what the record labels and RIAA wanted. Eventually they got big enough that the record labels and RIAA knew they had to adapt to this new digital world, but they continued to push DRM as part of that process. It was acutally the smaller independent labels that lead the move to non-DRM music.

DAB

Mod Emeritus
Oct 9, 2008
Louisiana
iTunes says it will cost me $142.74 to convert all my songs and videos...:shock:

:worried:

Wow, you must have downloaded a shit load of music via iTunes.

I think for me to update all my stuff I've downloaded it says $9 and some change.

LOL While I am not anti iTunes, I've not bought much through iTunes over the years. I had Yahoo Music and eventually Rhapsody which is where I got most of my music through unlimited music account.

semipenguin

Cheeseburger Connoisseur
Oct 11, 2008
Janesville, MN
I have no plan on paying for DRM Free music. I love my iPod & using iTunes. It would be nice to be able to use my music on my XMP3, but that's ok...:)
Posted via Mobile Device

xan_user

Banned
Dec 16, 2008
Nor-Cal
There are utilities that will convert to DRM free MP3.
Sounds linda like what i said a while back..

DRM RIAA policies encourage people to break the law anyway.

My "upgrade" to DRM free costs me nothing, as i never bought any DRM to begin with.

Had i been duped in to buying a library of limited songs and had to pay to unlock them i would be livid. (and break the law.)

Jon

Dec 16, 2008
iTunes says it will cost me $142.74 to convert all my songs and videos...:shock:

:worried:

Is that all?:p

I think I'm close to about $200 on that one. So I'll wait until I have nothing better to do with my money. ;)