Songs you used to hate

IdRatherBeSkiing

Sherbet is NOT and NEVER WILL BE ice cream.
Oct 11, 2008
Toronto, ON
In the spirit of the "Songs you used to like" thread. I was wondering if there are songs that you used to hate but now like/love? I thought we had discussed this before but I don't see it. My example is "In The Air Tonight" by Phil Collins. In 1980 when this song came out I hated it. If I could remove it from the radio I would. The song had no redeeming qualities. 20-30 years later I hear it again on the radio and I think to myself "this is a great song". Anybody else have any?

scotchandcigar

All I wanted was some steak
Feb 13, 2009
Vacationland
In general, all of my "nostalgia picks" in the 70s and 80s countdowns are songs I didn't originally listen to. This includes disco songs that were killing rock music back in the day. But now they're just fun old songs. And some of those mushy ballads are okay too.

HecticArt

Administrator
Oct 19, 2008
Toledo, Ohio
I've got a bunch of those "nostalgia picks" like Scotch that I didn't but now I do. It's not that the songs got any better, but they just capture memories or whatever.

I need to try to remember a few of them.

scotchandcigar

Feb 13, 2009
Vacationland
Off the top of my head, many songs by the Bee Gees, especially from Saturday Night Fever, were channel-changers back in the day; but now I like them. Also some Donna Summer, Abba (because we play them in band) and those ridiculous songs like "Love Machine". Then there's a few songs from the Carpenters that I'll listen to now, but didn't then.

Reactions: sadchild

HecticArt

Administrator
Oct 19, 2008
Toledo, Ohio
Off the top of my head, many songs by the Bee Gees, especially from Saturday Night Fever, were channel-changers back in the day; but now I like them. Also some Donna Summer, Abba (because we play them in band) and those ridiculous songs like "Love Machine". Then there's a few songs from the Carpenters that I'll listen to now, but didn't then.
Hmmmm.

Nope.

It wasn't any of those.....

• Haha
Reactions: scotchandcigar

Jon

Dec 16, 2008
Used to not like Motley Crue back in the day. Nowadays some songs are actually pretty good, and Tommy Lee can bang the hell out of the drums, And they do a nice job on 'Smokin' in the Boys Room'.

Also used to not like Bob Marley (or reggae in general) nowadays quite a few songs are on my favorites list, along with Jimmy Cliff.

Reactions: sadchild

sadchild

Dude
Mar 28, 2016
NH
www.asimplecomplex.com
I hated DeeLite "Groove Is In The Heart" and Cake "The Distance" when they first came out. I thought they were absolutely stupid. But after a few months they just "clicked" and I "got it". It went from "that's cheesy" to "oh, that's cheesy". Like an outfit that's "so ugly it's cute".

A song I felt the same way about when I first heard it was Flobots "Handlebars". But the "click" never happened. I still think it royally sucks.

IdRatherBeSkiing

Oct 11, 2008
Toronto, ON
"Relax" by Frankie Goes To Hollywood. In 1984 I found it annoying. Then as time passed it became tolerable. Then about 3 years ago, they played the long version on the radio. It has a long into which builds up the beats. This changed the song for me. I love the song. But I still prefer to not hear the single version which they play 95% of the time.

scotchandcigar

Feb 13, 2009
Vacationland
"Relax" by Frankie Goes To Hollywood. In 1984 I found it annoying. Then as time passed it became tolerable. Then about 3 years ago, they played the long version on the radio. It has a long into which builds up the beats. This changed the song for me. I love the song. But I still prefer to not hear the single version which they play 95% of the time.
There are many songs like that, where I like hearing the version with the long intro, such as Fascination Street by The Cure.

IdRatherBeSkiing

Oct 11, 2008
Toronto, ON
With the 1985 countdown, I remember some more songs. Virtually anything done by Wham! I detested in 198*. I didn't revisit that until they got played on 80s hits radio and I liked them. Definitely nostalgia picks.

Reactions: scotchandcigar