Slacker Radio (Continues to Lag Behind Pandora)

IdRatherBeSkiing

Sherbet is NOT and NEVER WILL BE ice cream.
Oct 11, 2008
Toronto, ON
Exactly! I know some of the testers, so this is no vaporware. RomeE has a tough line to tow there at Slacker and I will say I think there are some quality folks working within Slacker. This thread was meant to focus more on their lack of marketing but also to address the slow pace of getting these apps out.

I very much enjoy the service and high recommend folks subscribe.

I think there are quality folks too --- just not in the programming (coding -- not music programming) or marketing department. Also the Canadian rights securing department is also wolefully lacking.

Slacker was my favorite, but it seems like they have hit the breaks.

While Pandora has grown into a big thing... I have Pandora now built in to my Blu Ray player, its also built into my LED TV.

All these ways to access Pandora but not a mention of Slacker. I saw Slacker at CES and was excited about the caching version, but now 5 months later and nothing yet.

And I still havent been able to find the ABC news that they are supposed to have.

Come on Slacker get your stuff together.

Jon

Dec 16, 2008
According to zatznotfunny.com, Slacker 2.0 should be available within the next day or so.
Posted via Mobile Device

DAB

Mod Emeritus
Oct 9, 2008
Louisiana
Good News! I am excited and hope it gets approved quickly! Apple they claim have been approving most apps within 7 days. I wonder when they actually submitted it?

blacknoi

Oct 14, 2008
The current version of slacker for free users still lets you see the next artist.

I'm guessing that like the website did a few months ago, that feature will be removed as well from Slacker 2.0 iphone.

Jon

Dec 16, 2008
Wonder if it will fix the problem I'm having with one station from the Slacker lineup being favorited, and a 'custom' station with the same name also showing. Hopefully I'll just be able to cache the slacker station and be done with it.
Posted via Mobile Device

Sirterp

Oct 17, 2008
The app description in iTunes mentions station caching being available to plus subscribers. But I don't know how long that has been there. Maybe this is another sign?

Jon

Dec 16, 2008
Since it's been submitted it usually takes Apple a week to approve, so it could be any day now.
Posted via Mobile Device

DAB

Mod Emeritus
Oct 9, 2008
Louisiana
Rhapsody all ready lets you cache what you prefer from their library for $9.99 / month.

It is nice, but it is not Slacker. This is REAL personalized radio. The stations on Rhapsody cannot be cached. You can create playlist and add and then download the music to your device. You can even listen to full albums if you wish. It is great, but just not spontaneous like real radio. $9.99 for one device is a little steep. If it was for multiple devices it would be more acceptable. I am not paying 14.99 a month for that pleasure.

Having both, I prefer Slacker.

Jon

Dec 16, 2008
Saw the red #1 pop up on my updates today and got excited, wasn't it though :(
Posted via Mobile Device

DAB

Mod Emeritus
Oct 9, 2008
Louisiana
Saw the red #1 pop up on my updates today and got excited, wasn't it though :(
Posted via Mobile Device

Jon you sound like me, I check it a few times a day now, just hoping! LOL

We are some Slacker junkies! :p

IdRatherBeSkiing

Oct 11, 2008
Toronto, ON
You'll be proven wrong in short order! Apple has been approving many apps within 7 days. You anti-apple guys are alway so full of it! You read one thing and then just repeat that same crap forever!

7 days huh? Perhaps I will be proven wrong but not in short order. :)

DAB

Mod Emeritus
Oct 9, 2008
Louisiana
Apple has been approving many apps in 7 days, but for whatever reason not this one. Today was actually the 7th business day from the time they actually started reviewing it.

But my main point was this is not vaporware or was that vapourware! LOL

IdRatherBeSkiing

Oct 11, 2008
Toronto, ON
Apple has been approving many apps in 7 days, but for whatever reason not this one. Today was actually the 7th business day from the time they actually started reviewing it.

But my main point was this is not vaporware or was that vapourware! LOL

Until it is physically released to the public, it is exactly that. If the product they submitted is as buggy as their other caching sofware, I would not be surprised if it died in the Apple certification department.

And you can never have too many 'u's. Adds colour.

DAB

Mod Emeritus
Oct 9, 2008
Louisiana
Until it is physically released to the public, it is exactly that. If the product they submitted is as buggy as their other caching sofware, I would not be surprised if it died in the Apple certification department.

And you can never have too many 'u's. Adds colour.

LOL! What caching software have YOU used that they have?