Slacker in Canada

Discussion in 'Slacker Radio' started by rpokane, Nov 21, 2008.

1. rpokane

rpokane Member

Anyone out there try the new G2 in Canada?
    Once upon a time, their web player didn't care where you were, then it displayed a message (but still played), and now it just won't play.
    I'm worried that if the web or desktop player won't play, that stations on the G2 won't refresh.
    Anyone out there have one and try this?

2. RomE a Slacker employee on the Slacker board, and this board. Mentioned at one time the service does not work in Canada due to Canadian licensing issues. So I highly doubt the portable would work in Canada.

3. hank-the-dwarf

hank-the-dwarf Well-Known Member

You could try a proxy program.

4. rpokane

rpokane Member

Proxy programs/sites work sometimes, depending on the content.
    For example, I was going to the send the Simpsons "mapple" episode to a friend, but hulu displayed a message about it being only for the US. Using a proxy in this situation will make it unwatchable. Audio might be a little better as it's downloaded, but it would still take a long time. A little expensive to find out it doesn't work :( or that Slacker filters Cdn credit cards.

5. hank-the-dwarf

that sucks!

6. rpokane

rpokane Member

Welcome to Canuckistan.

7. IdRatherBeSkiing

IdRatherBeSkiing This space for rent

The G2 would probably work as long as you went to the US every now and again to refresh your channels. They block Canadian IPs.

Eventually there will be slacker.ca and they will charge us twice as much for the same service (except 1/3 of the music on your player will need to be Celene Dion due to Canadian content rules). :)

8. rpokane

rpokane Member

Good ol' Cdn sarcasm :)

9. RoadRunner

RoadRunner Member

DRC is now requiring IRBS to provide 10% of the sarcasm on the forums, in preparation for a Canadian expansion.

DRC fully supports all CanCon regulations!!

:hah:

10. hank-the-dwarf

can u guys get pandora in canada?

11. rpokane

rpokane Member

Nope.
    I even got the app on my iPhone, started it up, and it gave me the dreaded FU message.

12. IdRatherBeSkiing

IdRatherBeSkiing This space for rent

Nope. But I hear next year we will get colour TV.