SL2 just took a dump

Kryptonite

Oct 21, 2008
So my car has no AC, due to some sort of an electrical problem. As such, there's no cool air to blow onto the SL2, which is connected via the vent clips.

Over the past couple weeks, i've been removing the SL2 from the dock, and then putting it into the armrest holder. When I come back to the car, I put the radio back into the dock, and many times, it'll have to reboot. I never turn it all the way off, but just put it into sleep mode.

Well, today, it was going through the reboot mode with the five circles and the dog. The first circle filled up, then it froze. I took the battery out, and put it back in. Nothing. I took the battery back out, and waited for it to cool down.

Did my radio simply overheat? What's going on here?

voliconjoe

Jan 11, 2011
Yep, overheating is huge with these but not if it's off. Usually they will get real hot before they start acting screwey.

Kryptonite

Oct 21, 2008
It's hard to say whether overheating is the issue or simply a coincidence. The Stiletto's inherently glitchy firmware could be the source of the issue as well. Have you run a device recovery on it?

Negative.

voliconjoe

Jan 11, 2011
What can happen with these things (I think) is that if it's powered down unexpectedly for whatever reason and it's accessing the database it'll cause an error. You may have to do a device recovery on it which may wipe out any stored music.

Vols44

Oct 18, 2008
Seconded. I would try the device recovery, which may even have to be run two or three times. This usually resolves boot up issues.

Very sound advice. Must be extra sunspots or something because I had a memory corruption problem yesterday and performed a reset and erase to clean things up.

My newest recording technique is to program them in chronological order with at least a 15 minute gap in between the end of one and the beginning of another.

I cross my fingers every day I boot up my SL2. Had it since 01-22-10 and so far, so good. A big time improvement over the SL100 and SL 10 I've owned.

Kryptonite

Oct 21, 2008
So I finally found my cable and installed the device recovery software. I ran "ZING.Matterhorn.SiriusDeviceRecovery.exe" and I got the "unable to recover device" message.

I think it's bricked. :( It's like there's no battery in there. It won't even turn on.

Vols44

Oct 18, 2008
So I finally found my cable and installed the device recovery software. I ran "ZING.Matterhorn.SiriusDeviceRecovery.exe" and I got the "unable to recover device" message.

I think it's bricked. :( It's like there's no battery in there. It won't even turn on.

I'd troubleshoot the battery. Most are susceptible to excessive heat. The older the battery the greater the chances. The receiver would start frying things if was operating in extreme heat. Good luck and let us know how things turn out.

Kryptonite

Oct 21, 2008
I'd troubleshoot the battery. Most are susceptible to excessive heat. The older the battery the greater the chances. The receiver would start frying things if was operating in extreme heat. Good luck and let us know how things turn out.

Erm?

I only have the one battery, FWIW.

IdRatherBeSkiing

Sherbet is NOT and NEVER WILL BE ice cream.
Oct 11, 2008
Toronto, ON
Erm?

I only have the one battery, FWIW.

my SL2 turns on without a battery in place if I dock it, if you plug it in and the charge indicator or screen doesnt turn on at all even with power going to it, that's bad.

Yes, if the battery is bad, it will suck out all incoming AC and not allow your SL2 to get any power. Without the battery, the SL2 gets the power directly.