SkyFi3 Review

MM

Administrator
Oct 9, 2008
New England
A small box came to my house from TSS Radio today.....a new SkyFi 3.

I know that the SkyFi3 is not new, but it new to me.

Here are some pics:

The box.

attachment.php

The unit out of the box.

attachment.php

Everything laid out.

attachment.php

After I nearly slit my arm off with a pair of scissors getting the package open, I was happy with everything that came with the unit: SkyFi3, car dock, car antenna, cig power cord, 2 mounts, USB cable, remote, and XM SureConnect.

There was a coupon for a free case kit and antenna headphones. I immediately filled out the online form and ordered the "free" stuff for $7.56 shipping (scam).

I like the feel of the unit, however, it does seems big. I kind of like it better than my Roady XT. The display is large to read and you can switch it from vertical to horizontal. This unit is not fancy, but it does what it's supposed to.

I still need to play with it more before I add more details.

Also, I got a great deal on XM Everything for a year! I believe it will be $65, if I do not get charged for the activation fee. I have yet to see it on my account.

Attachments

• IMG_0490.JPG
    IMG_0490.JPG
    83 KB · Views: 81
  • IMG_0491.JPG
    IMG_0491.JPG
    60.6 KB · Views: 80
  • IMG_0493.JPG
    IMG_0493.JPG
    93.1 KB · Views: 83

MM

Administrator
Oct 9, 2008
New England
I really like this radio so far. I hooked up the car kit in my barn to a old XM antenna I had (I wished it worked with my Echo!!).

I run the sound through my SL2 boombox.

I'll take some pics if I remember.

DAB

Mod Emeritus
Oct 9, 2008
Louisiana
That is one of the tuners for XM that I never had. Glad you like it. What made you decide to get XM again? I love my ExpressRC as the color screen with the background and cool logos are sweet. XM has always kept them up to date and even has the Sirius Content logos on there if you have the best of.

With this tuner allow you to save any content at all?

MM

Administrator
Oct 9, 2008
New England
I just said why not. I was undecided on the best of XM as you know. I got one year of XM Everything with no activation for $64.05.

It would of cost me $48.00 for best of XM.

I can record content and load mp3's if I want.

DAB

Mod Emeritus
Oct 9, 2008
Louisiana
You certainly got in at a cheap rate.

The weird thing is that once they merge all the like channels and such, you'll actually be able to listen to many of the SIRIUS channels on that thing and probably even record them. :)

MM

Administrator
Oct 9, 2008
New England
I was messing with the unit today and I noticed it has a line in in the car dock. This means that you can use it as an aux input. I am debating hooking the SkyFi3 to the aux of my HU and having the SL2 going through that.

I am quite impressed with this unit.

Stay tuned for more.

MM

Administrator
Oct 9, 2008
New England
Got my free wearable kit today. It came with antenna headphones, a rubber case, and a running strap.

I can't wait to try them out to see how the XM coverage is here.

DAB

Mod Emeritus
Oct 9, 2008
Louisiana
Got my free wearable kit today. It came with antenna headphones, a rubber case, and a running strap.

I can't wait to try them out to see how the XM coverage is here.

Have you tried these out yet? I am curious to see how well they have worked for you. You know I just never thought about the Skyfi3 being portable.

MM

Administrator
Oct 9, 2008
New England
Have you tried these out yet? I am curious to see how well they have worked for you. You know I just never thought about the Skyfi3 being portable.

I did for a second. I got one bar in my barn that has slate shingles. I'll try it outside tomorrow if I can remember.

Treysfnemail

Nov 16, 2008
I did for a second. I got one bar in my barn that has slate shingles. I'll try it outside tomorrow if I can remember.

Hi guys thank god I found all of you guys again(use to go to SBS-R.I.P. all the time) Hey now that you've had the Skiyfi3 for a couple of weeks how do you like it, and are you having any trouble with it? Thanks -

DAB nice to see your still around- always respected your product reviews and knowledge too.

MM

Administrator
Oct 9, 2008
New England
Hi guys thank god I found all of you guys again(use to go to SBS-R.I.P. all the time) Hey now that you've had the Skiyfi3 for a couple of weeks how do you like it, and are you having any trouble with it? Thanks -

I have had no issues with it at all. It updated very easily last week. I have the home kit attached to my Stiletto 2 boombox for sound. I have yet to get it in my car, I plan to soon though.

You can't beat the price. :)

snakester

Oct 29, 2008
Lovely Seacost NH
A small box came to my house from TSS Radio today.....a new SkyFi 3.

I know that the SkyFi3 is not new, but it new to me.

Here are some pics:

The box.

attachment.php

The unit out of the box.

attachment.php

Everything laid out.

attachment.php

After I nearly slit my arm off with a pair of scissors getting the package open, I was happy with everything that came with the unit: SkyFi3, car dock, car antenna, cig power cord, 2 mounts, USB cable, remote, and XM SureConnect.

There was a coupon for a free case kit and antenna headphones. I immediately filled out the online form and ordered the "free" stuff for $7.56 shipping (scam).

I like the feel of the unit, however, it does seems big. I kind of like it better than my Roady XT. The display is large to read and you can switch it from vertical to horizontal. This unit is not fancy, but it does what it's supposed to.

I still need to play with it more before I add more details.

Also, I got a great deal on XM Everything for a year! I believe it will be $65, if I do not get charged for the activation fee. I have yet to see it on my account.

Ooof. That packaging looks brutal. I hope the XMp3 doesn't come in something like that.