Sirius-XM Blogs - Which ones do you read?

Discussion in 'SiriusXM Soundwave Cafe' started by me_rubin, Nov 25, 2008.

1. me_rubin

me_rubin Member

One thing missing from the DRC is a Blog. Not that anyone has time to write one for the main page, but sometimes it is a good starting point for further discussions in the forums.

Now that the merger has happened, I'm trying to branch out and find new sources of information about the XM side of things. One place I always look is Orbitcast. Ryan always seems to have his finger on the pulse of this media.

Speaking of merger information, I can always depend on any stock merger news from Tyler over at SiriusBuzz. I'm not an expert on the stock market, and this place seems to always have opinions related to the subject.

If I'm in a "Pissed Off" mood about something that is happening at sirius, I can always read about it at Siriusly Screwed. This fairly new blog, goes out of its way to be negative about everything sirius.

There are a couple of what I call "Consolidators" or web sites that just post other people's content. These are good for finding those one of a kind articles about some Sat news. Typically I'll see it in a post or other reference. The two that I usually go to are DogStarRadio or Satellite Radio TechWorld.

DogStarRadio also has a lot of other useful information on that site. Besides some of the latest news, there are links to find song listings and Sirius Repeater directories.

So that's my list. What is your list? Anyone have any new sites that they look at to provide Sat Radio information?

Hopefully in the future we can get a daily blog on the DRC. I think that is important to get readership and get the forums moving. With the expanded content of the DRC there should be plenty to write about. At the SBS there was at one time a nice blog. Several contributors worked hard to make sure there was something new.

So use this thread to tell me which blogs you read about Sirius-XM. Give me your opinions on putting one up on the DRC.

2. DAB

DAB Mod Emeritus

Well you know I have an opinion about this!

I think blogs are great and like you I have several that I read almost on a daily basis. Orbitcast and SiriusBuzz being my favorites. However, that is what they do and they do it great and the fact is I'd say better than anyone else I know.

Now when it comes forums, Orbitcast took a stab at it and decided it just wasn't worth the hassle and it never really caught on that well. SiriusBuzz has a forum and while it has a good number of members the posting there is about as sporadic as SBS. So, while these guys have done great with their blogs their forums well just haven't ever done very well.

Now we don't have a blog and I see no point in having one because if you can't give it your all and can't work at being the very best at it, then it just really becomes mediocre even though you push yourself to do it. The only problem is your heart isn't really into it. This is how it was at SBS, we always, always struggled with that.

So, now in my opinion DRC is the best forum around. We provide a great community for just about anything in the digital world and knew when we started this forum we didn't want to limit ourselves to just sat radio. So, we've opened ourselves up to be even a larger community because we cover so many other digital components rather it be cameras, TV's, cell phones, internet radio or even sat radio itself. We will do those things and we will do them well and push the envelope to continue to grow this forum to be the best forum it can be.

If we were a huge company and had staff that could be dedicated to blogging then I'd see us doing blogging, but the real deal is we do have a group of dedicated folks and not a one of us is interested in blogging, but we all love being on the forum and making it the best it can be. This is why DRC with our community of members is the best. We won't stop there, we'll continue to push and strive to be the a GREAT forum, just like Orbitcast does and SiriusBuzz does with their daily blogs!

Know your strengths and know your weaknesses and go with it!

Now with all that said, I'd be all but glad to see us use our front page to mirror some of Orbitcast and SiriusBuzz blogs to make it easy for folks to get the that information, even if it was just to do a teaser with a link their sites. We want to work with those guys in every way and unlike when SBS got into their protectionist mode and wouldn't allow folks to post links to other sites and such, we never want to do that at DRC.

By the way this is my opinion and I don't speak for Taylor or Sean who own and operate this forum, so please understand the views I've just shared are my own.

I love post and discussions like this Mike you and so, so many others are what make this forum such a great place to feel at home and be a part of a community. Thanks for that!

3. Bandwagon03

Bandwagon03 Well-Known Member

Good Post! As far as "Sirius News" I have always been a big fan of Orbitcast. Ryan does a great job over there, and covered the items leading up to the merger, and the aftermath better than ANYONE on the web (that includes SBS).

I applaud the openess of this site, and the fact that we can post links, etc. Personally, I agree with DAB, we cant be everything to everyone, and I feel we should let other sites play to their strengths, I feel our strength here is the community, the forum, and the exchange of ideas/tips.

4. IdRatherBeSkiing

IdRatherBeSkiing This space for rent

I do orbitcast. And whatever gets posted on this forum or XMFAN. If it gets blogged about, it eventually gets linked here.

5. almaniac27

almaniac27 Member

Didn't Orbitcast have it's own forum once? I think I remember there being one.

6. KTMCDO

KTMCDO Member

i agree with DAB a blog would be time consuming
    you would have to be on pc/mac 24/7 posting the
    latest news etc

7. IdRatherBeSkiing

Yes. It was shutdown due to lack of activity.

8. Blitz71

Blitz71 Member

Orbitcast, SiriusBuzz & Dogstar Radio

9. semipenguin

semipenguin Bum Looker

I do none. I just come here and read what everyone's posted...:)

10. drowe

drowe New Member

I think this would be a fine addition to the board. A RSS type link to the blog/news sites would probably be relatively easy to set up and it should take care of itself.

David

11. me_rubin

me_rubin Member

I would not expect any less from you!

Thanks!

I thought XMFAN was simply a Forum No front page blog... Am I missing something here?

Yes it did, but like someone said it was inactive. Acutally Ryan's last post give this forum his blessing:

12. IdRatherBeSkiing

No. It is. But people do post links to other blogs when something interesting happens. Same here. If I miss it somewhere, I will catch it on these boards.

13. AZJoe

AZJoe Member

Ditto

14. VinnyM27

VinnyM27 Active Member

Thanks for all that info...more places to chat and put my petition on.

I was one of the people that was only on Sirius backstage but I use Dogstarradio for info.

15. Mopar86

Mopar86 Member

16. me_rubin

me_rubin Member

I forgot about the blog on the TSS site. I'll have to check it out more frequently.

Also going to that blog I also saw SiriusAnswers which looks like it is updated reciently.

17. TSS Taylor

TSS Taylor DRC Fan

I just found this place Rad Sat Daily and so far I really enjoy it. It kinda reminds me of the old Sirius Fan Network

18. IdRatherBeSkiing

It had your ad at the top. You are fast!

19. TSS Taylor

TSS Taylor DRC Fan

You can thank Josh from TSS for that. It's a Google banner. I think it shows up on various sites with specific keywords.

But I do enjoy that site a bit. It's got a positive vibe to it.

20. Mopar86

Mopar86 Member

guilty as charged