Sirius Or Xm Birds?

Discussion in 'SiriusXM Soundwave Cafe' started by geosync, May 26, 2017.

1. geosync

geosync Well-Known Member

I rented a brand spanking new Camaro today, had 4.8 miles on it! It has what seems to be the free new car trial sub on it. Otherwise it costs 7 bucks extra. Which satellites are being used for reception? There was a few places today in Portland where I would normally get terrestrial signal and not lose contact but in this car I did. Any car I rent with sirius it sounds like the XM feed. The last few letters of every word sizzles like it's on fire. I've had both since 2006 and remember what each service sounded like. The sirius sound is soft but muddy and xm is crisp but metallic sounding. At least to my ears. Thanks for the info.

2. IdRatherBeSkiing

IdRatherBeSkiing This space for rent

There are some channel differences. The easiest I think is channel 1 (XM) vs 184 (Sirius) as the preview channel.

3. Bark

Bark Hey Now!

Are Sirius' original satellites, Sirius FM-1, Sirius FM-2, and Sirius FM-3 still operating normally?

I never used to lose a signal. The last few years, I've noticed more signal drops if I'm driving east in the right lane with dense foliage to my right. This makes sense for the geostationary satellites in an equatorial orbit, but I would have thought the three birds in the tundra orbit would cover this.

I just went online. FM-1 is over South Africa. FM-2 is over the southern Pacific halfway between New Zealand and Chile. FM-3 is in the southern Indian Ocean north of Davis Station in Antarctica. I thought at least one bird should be over North America at all times. Did they lose control?

I know tundra orbits aren't as stable over time as geostationary orbits, but I loved the angle of the signal that they provided.

4. microbob

microbob Well-Known Member

Those birds have been retired. Siris now uses a stationary bird like XM .

Bark likes this.
  5. Bark

Bark Hey Now!

I'm disappointed to confirm this, but I'll still thank you for the news. I really liked the tundra orbit.

6. geosync

That explains it. The signal from the equator is just not as reliable in forest, or camp like situations. I never liked the tinny sound quality of the xm side.

7. IdRatherBeSkiing

IdRatherBeSkiing This space for rent

The difference is sound is not a relation to where the birds are but the codex they use to compress/decompress. Sirius should still sound the same way. The issue with the equatorial birds is that trees block them as you get farther north.

8. geosync

Naw it's all xm to me. Car, app, old radios.

9. Grüpsaar

Grüpsaar DRC Forum Bum

Makes sense. When I last used an actual sat. Radio in 2011 2012, it might have been xm says but I do know when I first moved in to that place I had to set up my antennas to hit the old sirius sweet spots, and it'd change in the evening if I had it in the windowsill. Now I have a stiletto all rigged up to a power supply and aux out cord and sl2 antenna hearphones sitting on my laptop stand with the nearest window about 12 feet away with a door mostly closed, and the other windows all blanketed orcurtains drawn in separate (but open doorway) rooms. Amazing. Using the same sound system in my first apartment back in 06, and it sounds just as ....sirius-y (crummy) as it did on my old jvc and xact. It's charming now, though. Snapchat-1171502719.jpg

HecticArt likes this.
  10. Grüpsaar

Grüpsaar DRC Forum Bum

This was the scary part... Snapchat-239791153.jpg

11. HecticArt

HecticArt Administrator

I kinda miss my stelleto. When they were running, they were great.

12. semipenguin

semipenguin Bum Looker

I gave mine to Heather. I think she was gonna give it to her mother.

I liked my XMP3 a lot more. I just can't remember how either of them worked

13. Grüpsaar

Grüpsaar DRC Forum Bum

My sl2 is sadly unusable at the moment. I charged It up and got it out of the loop and was able to get it to boot up. But, the scroll wheEl is busted and missing, so without a dock and remote it's useless.. I loved my sl2. I sold or gave away 90% of my sat. Rad stock 5-6 years ago, all I got left are the two stilettos with no docks, 2 random xm roadys or whatever with no dock. I wish I didn't get rid of my xmp3 and the two(1) little boomoxes. I also had a sportser 5 and onyx. They all used the two xm branded boom boxes I sold or lost so I started to lose track of it all and just cut my losses one summer and made a few bucks...my biggest regret is pawning my lynx that I won on ebay for 200 or so when it was new. Lifetime sub on it...
    Drugs are bad, and make you do dumb things like sell your collection of things you love.

HecticArt likes this.
  14. geosync

I think it's all xm sats, and has been for years. Grupsaar, do you live in a metro area that has repeaters? Xm simply had more repeaters than Sirius. My sirius repeater would die pretty often. The xm repeaters always gave me good live coverage walking around town. When I turned my old inno on recently it showed no repeater antenna strength.

15. IndustrialH

IndustrialH "So much music .... so little time..."

The cool thing about Stilettos is that they can double as hand warmers.....

HecticArt likes this.
  16. geosync

Hahaha, yes. Especially those poor units at best boy that were on all day. You could slow cook rubber on those.

IndustrialH and HecticArt like this.
  17. kryptonite

kryptonite Well-Known Member

Oh please. My Sportster Replay had to be used on the lowest brightness with the thing ejected from the boombox or it would do all sorts of awful things.

OTOH, it was AWESOME in winter to carry from the car to the house!

IndustrialH and HecticArt like this.