Sirius Micro-Dot antennas failing

mercerboy

Nov 10, 2008
New Castle, PA
www.myspace.com
Has anyone here had the Micro Dot Antennas fail when they are placed inside the car? Like under the windshield. I have had no problems with my antenna since it's been inside the car, for years.

I put my current Dot Micro under the back windshield. I have only had it for about 8 months. I'm not sure if it's failing, but my signal strength has decreased in the past week or so. The wire could definitely be a cause of the issue since it is somewhat bent from being on an angle from the Sportster dock I have suction-cupped to the side of my front windshield.

My first Dot Micro was on top of the car and failed due to rusting after about 2 years. In my opinion, they are very poor antennas. I wish Sirius would just do away with them.

TSS Taylor

DRC Fan
Oct 9, 2008
Chicago, IL
www.tss-radio.com
I put my current Dot Micro under the back windshield. I have only had it for about 8 months. I'm not sure if it's failing, but my signal strength has decreased in the past week or so. The wire could definitely be a cause of the issue since it is somewhat bent from being on an angle from the Sportster dock I have suction-cupped to the side of my front windshield.

My first Dot Micro was on top of the car and failed due to rusting after about 2 years. In my opinion, they are very poor antennas. I wish Sirius would just do away with them.

Nice to see you on here Mercer. And I agree for the most part. But I do know some have had no problems in a 3year period sometimes. It seems like they put more value in the reception strength over quality and I don't think that should be the case especially once a new satellite is up.

nafddur

Oct 18, 2008
I do know some have had no problems in a 3 year period sometimes.

Installed my original micro dot on the top of my Maxima 11/05, so I just passed 3 1/2 years here (south of Boston). It's gone through 4 S50's, 2 SL100's, and still works great (knock on wood, of course) with my S2.

Certainly garaging the car helps, of course.

nafddur

Oct 18, 2008
Are we neighbors?

Possibly, but New England IS a pretty large area. I'm directly between Boston and the Cape (25 miles south of Boston) - about 4 miles inland from the ocean.

You near Boston?

Louis Carrozza

Aug 23, 2010
Over the last two years i have had 2 XM antennas fail. Is it also related to moisture penetratino? If so, is there a weatherproof antenna available for auto roof applications?

ClubSteeler

Oct 16, 2008
The microdots do crack in severe temps, and moisture gets in.

I haven't had one fail in 3 years, but it is cracked, and when I peer in, the metal inside is rusting badly. It still works great, but I wile likely be replacing it within a year.

From what I've been reading on these forums, the microdots usually fail in 2 to 4 years.

shabadoo25

Oct 12, 2008
I put my latest one inside the cabin on the far side of the dash next to the windshield.

It doesn't have the best signal in tree-lined areas, but it's fine otherwise and it solves the weatherproofing problem.

JHDK

Release Robin's Bra
Oct 11, 2008
Hyrule
I put my latest one inside the cabin on the far side of the dash next to the windshield.

It doesn't have the best signal in tree-lined areas, but it's fine otherwise and it solves the weatherproofing problem.

is it worth the trade off in signal though? i know they rust...i went throu about 3 so far, but even with it on the back of my car i still have signal issues at times. i wouldnt want to do anything to hamper the signal more. and its been 3 dots since 1.9.06. thats no so bad.

Louis Carrozza

Aug 23, 2010
I recently opened up one of two defective XM antennas and there was no rust but I believe that the cycling of temperature on the roof of the car probably caused a component to break loose or a connection to break. It would probably be better to remove the antenna from the roof when not in use.

HecticArt

Administrator
Oct 19, 2008
Toledo, Ohio
I just replaced my Sirius dot last fall. It was on my trunk lid since summer of 05? The only time I take it off is when I go through a car wash. They don't last forever, and aren't that expensive. So I do keep an extra in the trunk just in case.

I think the wires can go bad from wear if they aren't tucked in fully protected. I don't know if UV, or weather, or bending can just make them go, or what. I'd keep an extra on hand, and just say screw it, and put the thing where you get the best reception.

IdRatherBeSkiing

Sherbet is NOT and NEVER WILL BE ice cream.
Oct 11, 2008
Toronto, ON
I recently opened up one of two defective XM antennas and there was no rust but I believe that the cycling of temperature on the roof of the car probably caused a component to break loose or a connection to break. It would probably be better to remove the antenna from the roof when not in use.

I have not had the XM ones fail in this way. They way the XM ones fail is the antenna cord (could it be made any thinner) breaks where it bends or gets krimped.

IdRatherBeSkiing

Sherbet is NOT and NEVER WILL BE ice cream.
Oct 11, 2008
Toronto, ON
I just replaced my Sirius dot last fall. It was on my trunk lid since summer of 05? The only time I take it off is when I go through a car wash. They don't last forever, and aren't that expensive. So I do keep an extra in the trunk just in case.

I think the wires can go bad from wear if they aren't tucked in fully protected. I don't know if UV, or weather, or bending can just make them go, or what. I'd keep an extra on hand, and just say screw it, and put the thing where you get the best reception.

I always travel with a spare antenna as well.

flgator

Sep 29, 2010
Started having trouble with my antenna a couple months ago. My problem is I have an old Audiovox SIR-PNP3 with the SIR-CK3 car kit. Picked up a new antenna from best buy yesterday only to find that they are different connections? Does anyone know where I could buy a antenna for my SIR-CK3 or is there an adapter?

Thanks for any help. I miss my Sirius!!!!!

limegrass69

Confused
Oct 12, 2008
New York
Started having trouble with my antenna a couple months ago. My problem is I have an old Audiovox SIR-PNP3 with the SIR-CK3 car kit. Picked up a new antenna from best buy yesterday only to find that they are different connections? Does anyone know where I could buy a antenna for my SIR-CK3 or is there an adapter?

Hit up the TSS Radio guys. They'll either chime in here, or you can reach out to them.

jef

Power Pig, Hello!
Oct 12, 2008

Hrm - I used to have the same setup and went through at least 3 antennas (crappy microdots) and never needed an adapter. Has Sirius made changes to the latest gen of antennas? I can check out my kit at home and report back... got a pic of the end of your new antenna?

jef

Power Pig, Hello!
Oct 12, 2008
Oh, and are you sure you are plugging it into the right spot? I don't think the antenna styles have been changed. The TSS Radio page shows the Dot Micros as fitting all single-input radios.