Sirius Conductor "Out of Range"

Discussion in 'Sirius Radios' started by Radio Guy, Dec 31, 2010.

1. Radio Guy

Radio Guy New Member

For those of you who have had problems with your Sirius Conductor radio indicating “out of range†I may have located the problem.

My Conductor radio worked fine for two years but began give problems about three months ago. The “Out of Range†notice would show up and I could not reconnect to the radio regardless of what I would do. Occasionally it would begin working again but in a day or two it would stop. I finally resorted to buying another Conductor radio.

The second radio worked fine. No problems with the setup and all worked well when I had Sirius change my account to reflect the new ESN number on the new radio.

Being an engineer I really wanted to know why the radio stopped working. Everything seemed fine. The power light was on, the antenna was fine, but I continued to get the “Out of Range†indication. As I got deeper into looking for the problem I happen to measure the “wall wart†power supply. These things often fail. The output was 5.2 as required but when I looked at output on an oscilloscope, low and behold, the dc voltage had all sort of noise and spurs. Apparently the regulator and switching network had failed. I hooked up the Conductor receiver to another external supply and, bingo! It worked fine. No “Out of Range†indication and the remote unit controlled the radio.

So, if you are experience this problem simply try replacing the small “wall wart†power supply with a new one. Any 5 volt, 1 amp unit with the proper connector should work fine.

Aaron likes this.
  2. Radio Guy

Radio Guy New Member

Out of range

I'd like to know if anyone else has been sucessful with getting their Conductor to work by changing the power supply.

3. sheri

sheri New Member

This absolutely works!

I swapped out the power supply and it instantly corrected the out of range message too.

My conductor worked fine for about a month, now it's giving me the out of range error again. Surely the power supplies don't die out this fast, do they? Seems kind of nuts to have to change it constantly. Perhaps the conductor itself is starting to go on the fritz? All I know is it's completely frustrating and forget Sirius tech support, I'd have a better chance of stopping someone randomly on the side of the road to ask them how to fix it.

:help:

Aaron likes this.
  4. HecticArt

HecticArt Administrator

Sheri -

Welcome to the DRC!
    I don't have a conductor, but if someone doesn't chime in with some advice for you, give TSS Radio a call. They are great.

5. sheri

sheri New Member

I still can't figure this out.

I miss my record player.

6. hyson

hyson Forum Jerk

So sorry to hear that.

I hate it when folks are disappointed with their equipment.

7. TSSMario

TSSMario Member

I've never actually heard of this particular issue until now. We may have one conductor tuner left to troubleshoot this with. You can give us a call anytime to try to sort this out.

8. hoofit

hoofit New Member

Holy Crap! This is the EXACT problem I had! I subsequently talked with a total of 17 Sirius tech people, and even installed another conductor, BUT kept the same transformer! The Sirius tech people are really low quality techs! They even told me to contact TSS and buy another one, then TSS says they've been stock out for over 10 months and aren't made anymore! I subsequently had my service discontinued! Id the SIRIUS tech idiots had known this, I'd still be a customer! But, I'll never use them again after my experience!

9. dutchman

dutchman New Member

A true message in a bottle. Over seven years after Radio Guy set this adrift on the electronic ocean, it solved my problem completely.

We built a remote cabin 12 years ago that receives 2 FM stations and little else so Sirius filled in the gaps. The first Sirius Conductor was replaced in 2009 with another and now that developed the sudden "out of range" issue. This time there are no similar home Sirius radios to be found. Fortunately, a search turned up this thread and it seemed worth a shot.

Couldn't find an exact replacement but I found an Iomega power supply of the same specs online for less than $5 and spliced the old tip onto the leads, taking care to identify which was negative and which was positive. The Sirius Conductor works without issue now and I suspect that the original one will as well.

Thanks RG, wherever you are.

Aaron, HecticArt and semipenguin like this.
  10. HecticArt

HecticArt Administrator

Welcome to the DRC Dutchman! Glad we were able to help.