Sirius Backstage Tribute Thread

Discussion in 'The Studio Lounge' started by TSS Taylor, Oct 11, 2008.

1. Fergz99

Fergz99 Member

Thanks for the kind words DAB. You were right on the top of the list of what made SBS a good site. You didn't have blinders and pom poms on and you were always willing to hear people out. Thanks for that.

2. TSS Taylor

TSS Taylor DRC Fan

I actually have like 4 or 5 brand new in box. They are known for being the tuner a lot of Hertz cars have in them.

3. Bandwagon03

Bandwagon03 Well-Known Member

Wow, all of this old Hardware does bring back a flood of memories...Which radio was it that didnt even make it to production? It was the first "portable" radio. Was it a Xact product? I cant even remember.

Taylor, that is a good idea about the Sirius Musuem. It really does make you appreciate how far Sirius has come in terms of Hardware, etc. It just makes you realize how this product started out on the fringe, a neat product for a bunch of radio geeks, that has now "grown up" and became part of the mainstream.

4. TSS Taylor

TSS Taylor DRC Fan

I use the term museum jokingly. But I do keep a few old things around just in case.

It was the Xact ReGo you were thinking about. That unit was all the buzz.
    [​IMG]
    It's still on their webpage. I wonder if just mentioning it here will get people wondering if it's coming out JK.

5. TulaneJeff

TulaneJeff Member

Hello everyone.

I really don't know where to begin, but I feel that February 14, 2002 - Valentine's Day - is a good starting point. This is the day when SIRIUS Satellite Radio was launched, in rural Jackson, Mississippi. This is the day I feel in love with satellite radio. I had the pleasure of being the first to arrive at Cowboy Maloney's Electric City on that chilly morning, the first in the door, and the first to leave with a radio installed in my vehicle. Fast forward to today and I am happy to still be a satellite radio fan, both SIRIUS and XM.

First off, thank you to all of the amazing people who joined in and helped make Backstage the place it was: Roscoryan, Sirius_Rich, AZJoe, Manco, Michigan Made, Road Runner, Jeremy, Da Joker, BuggyBoy, Professor Dave, Tristan....and of course the famous DAB. Many of you I have had the pleasure of meeting in person, either at the first SIRIUS Backstage meetup in New York, then Las Vegas, or over the phone.

We were soon joined by some of the most ambitious from team SIRIUS: Ron Rodrigues, Tom Rielly, John McMullen, Jose, Kid Kelly, Spyder, Jim Ryan, Haneen Arafat, Elise Brown, Matt Downing, Meg Griffin. Thank you all so much for embracing the SIRIUS Backstage community and for helping us spread the music when few were listening.

When I first started posting on the Yahoo! Finance boards, I was there solely as a satellite radio enthusiast. I firmly believed in what SIRIUS' founder David Margolese had been lobbying hard to get off the ground for nearly two decades, and I was determined to learn more about it and spread the potential of this revolutionary service.

The Yahoo! boards grew tiresome and SIRIUS Backstage was born in 2004. The first week we had about 10 members, and then 50, and finally, a real network of people was not just a bunch of fans gathering to talk about this new type of radio, but an authentic community.

SIRIUS Backstage was modeled after one of the other popular forums that I visited back in the day, the TiVoCommunity. I knew that we could create a fun and civil place for people to share ideas, and this became ever evident important once the virtual community crossed over in to my real life. When Hurricane Katrina destroyed my home and my hometown, the Backstagers were the first friends who were there to support and encourage me as we began to rebuild our lives. I will never forget that you were there with me.

I am forever grateful for everyone who put in their time energy and passion to SIRIUS Backstage. I now ask that you put the same spirit and energy in to developing Digital Radio Central into a vibrant marketplace of ideas - and a community that will still be going strong for many years to come.

Thank you especially to Taylor at TSS Radio for opening your doors to us. I can sense that this is going to be a great community.

Let's get this started.

Jeff

Last edited: Oct 15, 2008
    me_rubin likes this.
  6. Siread

Siread New Member

Jeff
    You have put a sense of legitimacy to this new forum. I was an ardent reader and sometimes poster over at SBS, but I was getting frustrated with the load speed and the lack of new infomation in the news section

Thank you for all you did over there and I am happy to be here at the beginning of something new and exciting.

My only issue right now is my Starmate One does not accept the best of XM, so I may actually have to upgrade! :Smiley_wink:

7. TSS Taylor

TSS Taylor DRC Fan

TulaneJeff
    Thank you for stamping this place with your approval. It feels complete.
    Seeing all the same faces and people over here and with a similar, yet new feel is something I didn't expect. In a lot of ways I just wish that Backstage ran faster, but a part of me thinks that the merger kinda killed the fanboys in us. It was tough to be so focused on just beating XM and vice versa. I believe that the merger changed the momentum IMO moreso than other things.

But to have you here and apart of this place is so awesome!
    :bigthumbup:

8. ProperModulation

ProperModulation Green Type of Tube

Yeah, it's awesome to see you here Jeff! Yours was the first name I remembered when I first started browsing SBS. I even bought some Sirius gear from you a few years back!

Funny you mention the Tivo Community. That was another well-run board that provided a ton of great information when I was first thinking about getting a Tivo. I never ended up hanging around there after my questions were answered though.

9. HeavyB3

HeavyB3 New Member

I'm totally out of the loop. I don't think I have been a regular poster on SSBackstage for a couple years now, so I'm not sure what happened. Sucks to see that it disappointing its original owner and the other "founders" of the site.

10. DAB

DAB Mod Emeritus

Good to hear from you Tulane Jeff. You my man are indeed a class act. I've always admired your wisdom at such a young age. Of course you aren't nearly as young as you were when I first started talking to you all those years ago, but you've never stopped pushing forward. Thank you for the opportunity that you gave me at SBS.

I hope you will be active here and I look forward to reading your post. I also appreciate your stamp of approval here as it means a lot to many of us that worked with you over the years at SBS.

11. kingchuck69

kingchuck69 Joker! Joker! Joker!

I tried going to SBS at 5 a.m. and it was still slower than molasses.

I won't be surprised if nobody ever posted there again and it was still that slow.

12. MM

MM Administrator

Jeff, those were great things to say about Backstage and what was accomplished there.

We are glad that you are here and it shows our members that the site is the real deal, with real people.

13. DoublEE

DoublEE Active Member

I counted around 10 new posts on SBS in a twelve hour period.

14. IdRatherBeSkiing

IdRatherBeSkiing This space for rent

I've gotten spoiled with that. I am now about a day behind here.

15. This is what I posted to SBS this morning... :(

16. TSS Taylor

TSS Taylor DRC Fan

Scott thank you so much for the support and the generous link from www.satelliteguys.us.

17. IdRatherBeSkiing

IdRatherBeSkiing This space for rent

+1. Thanx for trying. You can't fail if you were never set up to succeed.

18. That should get you some traffic. :)

I believe in supporting the satellite community.

Best,

19. roscoryan

roscoryan DRC Graphics Guru

Jeff, I can't begin to tell you how grateful we feel to have your support. It's a shame to see the fruits of our labors just left to die a slow, painful death.

I consider you a very close, personal friend. The experiences of the past 6 years at SBS are something I will never forget the rest of my life. Times bring about change, but I look forward to joining you in participation at DRC.

Welcome, friend! And for old times sake...

[​IMG]

20. roscoryan

roscoryan DRC Graphics Guru

Scott, thank you for your support of DRC and satellite radio!