Shanahan Fired!

Discussion in 'NFL' started by RoadRunner, Dec 30, 2008.

1. RoadRunner

RoadRunner Member

In one of the more surprising off-season coaching changes this year, the Broncos fired 14-year head coach, Mike Shanahan today. Many Broncos fans (including me) thought that Shanny had lifetime immunity from his back-to-back Super Bowl victories.

"Change" and "Hope" to be new team slogans.:eek:

2. Aaron

Aaron Moderator

I always figured he'd leave on his own steam... not by getting fired!

They have been mediocre for quite a few years now.

3. IronJabroni

IronJabroni Well-Known Member

wow, maybe the jets will go for him now

4. antsie

antsie Well-Known Member

Wow, we were shocked!!............Never thought Bowlen would fire him.

5. goreds2

goreds2 Well-Known Member

Shocking but he should find another job easily. :confused:

Last edited: Dec 31, 2008
  6. semipenguin

semipenguin Bum Looker

I'm not really a Broncos fan. Those Head Coach/GM things almost never work out, though...:(
    Posted via Mobile Device

7. AJ_II

AJ_II Well-Known Member

I thought this had been a long time coming. Shanahan has done almost nothing in the 10 years since Elway retired. Blowing this three game division lead down the stretch was the last straw.

Shanahan is a good NFL head coach, but sometimes you just need a change in the organization to move forward.

8. antsie

antsie Well-Known Member

Though I hate to see him go, somethimes change is the best thing for everyone.

Last edited: Dec 31, 2008
  9. RoadRunner

RoadRunner Member

Exactly my view. Ultimately, he let 2 things happen that doomed him. First, he stopped dominating at home. The Broncos (even when they were terrible) have been one of the NFL's great home teams. Teams dreaded coming to Mile High almost as much as Arrowhead. Secondly, he stopped beating the Hated Ones. For a long time, his dispute with CryptKeeper Al Davis over money Mike thought he was owed as the Raiders head coach, meant you could depend on the 2 wins a year every Broncos fan wants more than life itself.

If the new coach goes 2-14, but beats the Raiders every year...I can live with that.:cool:

10. TSSJimmyCoN

TSSJimmyCoN Member

shanahan for coach of the lions!!!

11. Sirius Rich

Sirius Rich Well-Known Member

The latest buzz is that Shanahan will be in Dallas for the 2010 season.

12. AJ_II

AJ_II Well-Known Member

If Tony Dungy ends up leaving the Colts, think of the names that'll have recently been out of coaching.

Mike Shanahan
    Bill Cowher
    Mike Holmgren
    Tony Dungy

13. TSSJimmyCoN

TSSJimmyCoN Member

Tony Dungy will not retire. Mark my words. If he does, he will end up coming back within 2 years

14. antsie

antsie Well-Known Member

Josh McDaniels is the new coach of the Denver Broncos

15. AJ_II

AJ_II Well-Known Member

I figured they'd go for a defensive-minded head coach. Why fire Shanahan, considered to be an offensive genius by many of his NFL peers, to bring in an unproven Josh McDaniels?

Not only that, but Bill Belichick disciples haven't exactly faired well as head coaches in the NFL. Saban failed big time at Miami. Mangini just got eighty-sixed. Crennel was a disaster. Al Groh coached one year for the Jets. Even Charlie Wies is on the hot seat at Notre Dame. Good luck to McDaniels.

16. goreds2

Chuck Noll was unproven, Bill Cowher was unproven and the Steelers current head coach was unproven. You never know how they will do unless you give them a chance. Judge the Bronco's in 2-3 years concerning Josh McDaniels.

17. semipenguin

semipenguin Bum Looker

Bill Walsh was the best...:)
    Posted via Mobile Device

18. antsie

antsie Well-Known Member

Well his first news conference was this afternoon and it was ok....but the TV stations covering weren't so good. As he was talking, one station put on the screen that his name was John and the other showed Josh. I think the one station was hoping John Elway would come back and coach!!

19. IdRatherBeSkiing

IdRatherBeSkiing This space for rent

Not to mention the rookie coach in Baltimore.

20. goreds2

Yes, good point.