Sappy songs by good bands

Discussion in 'SiriusXM Music' started by scotchandcigar, Feb 21, 2014.

1. scotchandcigar

scotchandcigar arrogant bastard

Are there songs you hate from bands you love? Songs so sappy, you change the radio station immediately; songs you wish weren't associated with that band?
    My examples:

Every breath you take - Police
    Miss you - Stones
    Tempted - Squeeze
    All of my love - Zeppelin
    Babe - Styx
    Brick - Ben Folds Five

JHDK likes this.
  2. Jon

Jon Well-Known Member

Nothing Else Matters - Metallica (the beginning of the end)
    I don't Wanna Miss A Thing - Aerosmith
    That Last Date cover from Pearl Jam.
    Patience - Guns & Roses
    Never Tear Us Apart - INXS

There's a bunch others. On the other hand I'm of the opinion that Squeeze could do no wrong, and Tempted is one of their best. To me anyway.

3. scotchandcigar

I was SO into Squeeze that I bought East Side Story the day it was released, and back then they didn't have pre-release tracks on the radio. In listening to the entire album, I thought Tempted was a pleasant little ditty. But it was the incessant airplay of that song, to the exclusion of everything else, that made me hate it. And it gave Squeeze the rep of being a sappy song band.

4. semipenguin

semipenguin Bum Looker

Friday I'm In Love :sleepy:

5. semipenguin

semipenguin Bum Looker

6. Jon

Jon Well-Known Member

This'll probably get the pitchforks and torches out because of this statement, but Paul McCartney made a lot of crap songs in his day. For every 'Live and Let Die' there's 'Let Him In' or 'Ebony and Ivory'. He is a legend, but even he was prone to writing cheese.

7. semipenguin

semipenguin Bum Looker

8. HecticArt

HecticArt Administrator

Anything by
    Morrissy and/or the a Smiths.
    They seem to think they only wrote 2 songs, and have to play them daily.

9. scotchandcigar

Don't forget: Coming Up (Like a Flower).

I think the beauty of the Beatles is that they balanced each other out - Paul's tendency towards pop cheesiness was balanced by George and John's eclectic rock style.

10. Jon

Jon Well-Known Member

My local classic rock station thinks 'Jack and Diane' is John Mellencamp's only song. It's in their daily rotation, even though he has much better songs like 'Lonely Ol' Night', 'Scarecrow', 'Paper and Fire' and a few others. But still 'Jack and Diane' is a regular on the playlist, and always when I happen to be listening.

11. HecticArt

HecticArt Administrator

Clear channel, right?

12. Jon

Jon Well-Known Member

Actually, no. Entercom. And it's a pretty good station otherwise, just that particular song gets played a lot!

13. scotchandcigar

I had to find this thread just to say that Squeezebox by The Who is an instant channel changer for me. I know it's supposed to be tongue-in-cheek and deviant, but I find it so juvenile in both music and lyrics that I can't stand it.

14. Aaron

Aaron Moderator

I think I like that song more than "You Better You Bet"

15. scotchandcigar

That's one of those "they should've hung it up" songs.

Aaron likes this.
  16. IdRatherBeSkiing

IdRatherBeSkiing This space for rent

I don't really have a problem with any song mentioned so far. None are my favourites but I will listen to almost all.

I do have some that turn me off from bands I otherwise like. Not all these are sappy but songs I dislike from a band I like:
    Waiting For a Girl Like You -- Foreigner
    Also anything from Foreigner's Agent Provocateur album
    Roxanne & King of Pain from The Police
    I Shot The Sheriff by Eric Clapton
    That Stupid Horse with No Fucking Name - America

17. scotchandcigar

Ha, I think Roxanne is awesome, but Every Breath You Take makes me want to hang myself, plus it's a song about a stalker.

18. Aaron

Aaron Moderator

Blondie is great, but I don't like One Way or Another

19. scotchandcigar

My older sister had friends who used I Shot The Sheriff for their wedding song.

20. semipenguin

semipenguin Bum Looker

Foreigner 4 was one of my first albums. Waiting for a Girl like You was one of my favorites

Mutt Lang did a fantastic job producing that album