Samsung Galaxy S8

Discussion in 'Android' started by scotchandcigar, Aug 21, 2017.

1. scotchandcigar

scotchandcigar arrogant bastard

My Galaxy S6 was almost paid-off (had 1 payment left), but I saw that Best Buy had a $300-off deal for the S8 and S8+. So instead of paying $31/mo it's $17.50, which is less than the $24/mo I was paying for the S6.

I picked it up yesterday. It's sleek, with that edge curve, and while it's only a bit taller than the S6, the display goes from 5.1" to 5.8", because there's almost no bezel. I can fit 1 or 2 extra rows of icons on the home screen. The phone has 64gb of built-in memory, plus it can take a micro-SD card. It has the new USB-C port (they provide adapters), and it's fully dunkable in water. But I'll need to get a case immediately.

My wife has an S7, and that has a much better camera and battery than my S6, so I'm expecting that to carry over to the S8. I also considered the S8+, which was only $21.50/mo with the BB deal, but that's a much bigger phone.

My S6 was getting pretty bad (they design it that way); the battery wasn't holding a charge, web browsing would get hung-up a lot, and the auto-screen-brightness kept going haywire.

2. HecticArt

HecticArt Administrator

I'm hoping that the Note 8 will get good reviews when it comes out in a couple of months.
    My Note 5 has been excellent, and still gets me 3+ days on a charge if I'm not streaming a lot of music or navigating.
    I can still expect 2 days with music and if I'm on the web a lot. After almost 4 years, I'm still digging it.
    The stylus gets a fair amount of use too.

scotchandcigar likes this.
  3. IdRatherBeSkiing

IdRatherBeSkiing This space for rent

Is it good at starting fires?

4. HecticArt

HecticArt Administrator

Not so much.

That's one of the things I'll wait to hear about the Note 8.

5. scotchandcigar

So far there haven't been any problems with the S8/S8+, so hopefully they've resolved it. I'd imagine the Note 8 has to be a very similar build to the S8+.

HecticArt likes this.
  6. HecticArt

HecticArt Administrator

I think they throttled back on how fast they let em charge.

7. scotchandcigar

I was pumped about having 64gb of internal memory when I bought the phone. Now I'm reminded that the freakin' cloud tries to backup everything, so if I actually used more than 5gb, I'd have to pay for extra cloud storage. Which I won't do.

8. HecticArt

HecticArt Administrator

I'm terrible with the backup thing.
    I do a decent job with my laptop, but not so much with my phone.

Personally, I'd rather plug the thing into my computer once a week and back it up to my NAS instead of the cloud.

9. semipenguin

semipenguin Bum Looker

I use Google Photos to store my pics. I don't know if there's a storage limit or not.

Music and videos are via iTunes, mostly. Download. Watch or listen. Erase.

10. scotchandcigar

I also backup my pictures manually. I put them into folders that divide them up by a collective date (such as summer 2016) or event (i.e. NYC wedding). And I have a backup copy of my backup.

But my wife uses Google Photo, and I guess she's happy with it. It's nice that she can take pictures with her phone, and they become immediately available on the laptop.

As far as the cloud, at first I tried to prevent having my stuff upload to the cloud. I didn't like having my personal photos on a server, plus there's the issue of bilking you to pay for more cloud space. I don't think Google Photo has any cost, and somehow it seems to eliminate the cloud storage size issue.

Now I realize that the cloud is good for 2 things: transferring info from one phone to another, and providing a temporary backup for new photos that I haven't yet backed-up manually.

HecticArt and semipenguin like this.
  11. scotchandcigar

I just noticed that the free Verizon Cloud service only saves my contacts, and I guess it's been this way since September. They used to give me 25G of free space, and I'd have to go in there every once in a while, to delete my old music and pictures that I'd already archived. I don't have that problem anymore, and now I know why.

If I want all my stuff on the cloud, I have to pay at least $5/mo. Fark dat. And actually, I don't want my stuff on the cloud; I used to try to keep it from uploading. But what I actually wanted, was to backup only my recent pictures from my regular phone memory, just in case it got screwed-up before I had a chance to archive it.

My wife does Google Photos; that's an option.

12. HecticArt

HecticArt Administrator

Our Verizon Cloud went away last week.
    Eff it. I honestly forgot that it was even there.
    I always manually backed up my stuff.
    I refuse to give VZW another $60 per year.
    I'm looking at buying an unlocked Note 8 rather than getting one from them.
    At the moment I can get one for $170 less than list (which VZW still sells it for) and I don't have to do the stupid payment plan. I just want to pay for my stuff all at once and not have to make all of those monthly payments.

13. scotchandcigar

I got my S8 from Best Buy, it was $300 off list. But I went there with my daughter to get a J7, and their advertised discount was "for new contracts only", which it didn't say anywhere. Plus, the salesgirl was a snot, and they couldn't process any of the 3 credit cards I gave her to pay off the $40 balance to Verizon. So she calls the card processing company, gets put on hold interminably (like a regular person would), all while we're standing there. We left and went around the corner to Verizon, where we got quick, excellent service. Go figure.