Rifles

Wolf

Oct 11, 2008
Phoenix
I'm looking to expand my somewhat gun collection, currently I own a Glock 19 handgun and I use to own a Smith & Wesson revolver few years ago, till I sold it a few years ago. But couples months ago, I went shooting with a couple of buddies out in the desert and I shot a Ruger and Bushmaster semiautomatic rifles which were pretty cool. But not long ago, I saw several centerfire rifles for sale at Cabela's for a few hundred dollars. Some looked new and used, but I don't know much about centerfire rifles beside shooting a couple of them. I ask my buds, which ones should I buy, but all they can suggest is new, don't buy used. But right now, I can't afford an $1,000+ gun right now. More in the few hundred dollar range, so anyone here own any rifles and suggest which brand do they prefer to own and/or shot for an beginner shooter entering this new category of firearms, thx!

down4six

Oct 14, 2008
Southern Colorado
www.twitter.com
Sounds like you are looking for a Ruger 10/22. .22 caliber (cheap ammo) semi-auto,I spent like $250 for mine. You won't be knocking down any big game, but its fun to go out in the desert and pop off a bunch of rounds. I would get buy a huge clip for it. :fire:

I think someone had a tricked out one here at DRC, I'm thinking Hyson... :idunno:

Biaviian

Nov 17, 2008
Sounds like you are looking for a Ruger 10/22. .22 caliber (cheap ammo) semi-auto,I spent like $250 for mine.

That would be a great place to start. My 22 rifle is a Remington 597. After the transfer fee I got it for just under $200. Not a bad deal when it included a 3-9X32 scope.

hyson

Forum Jerk
Oct 19, 2008
Wolf, it really depends on what you want it for.

If you're interested in just a plinking/practice rifle, the .22lr is the way to go.
My personal favorite is the Ruger 10/22, but Remingon and Marlin both make nice models (the 597 and Model 60, respectively).

For hunting, the .270 is a great round and a lot of companies manufacture decent rifles.

"Black rifles" are a whole other category.

With some more info, I think I, and others, could more thoroughly answer your question.

ETA: .22lr is rimfire, not center fire.

Another Edit: Rimfire Central is an awesome resource

Last edited:

hyson

Forum Jerk
Oct 19, 2008
Sounds like you are looking for a Ruger 10/22. .22 caliber (cheap ammo) semi-auto,I spent like $250 for mine. You won't be knocking down any big game, but its fun to go out in the desert and pop off a bunch of rounds. I would get buy a huge clip for it. :fire:

I think someone had a tricked out one here at DRC, I'm thinking Hyson... :idunno:

I own a basic all-weather model with a cheap scope, 25 round MAGAZINE (not a clip, fella) and polished bolt. Nothing too fancy.

The 10/22 is one of those guns that you really can go nuts on and add a whole bunch of shit to it. I may opt for a new stock only for the a rail system.

Wolf

Oct 11, 2008
Phoenix
Thanks everyone for your suggestions, a .22 caliber semi-automatic is the type rifle I am looking for. I just plan on using it for like how hyson described for plinking/practice. I just don't know which brand to go with yet, I prefer to go with either a Ruger, Remington, Bushmaster or some other similar to them. Also I believe Cabala's pre-owned guns is still good as a new gun, it would be cheaper to buy. Also I'll check out that rimfire central site later, plus I saw they are on the taptalk app, which help out as well.

Wolf

Oct 11, 2008
Phoenix
Well I been doing some research on some rifles you guys suggested and others on the net. Over the weekend, I went down to a firing range to get a fill of certain rifles and I found one that I like. So yesterday, I went down to Cabala's which they are having a very nice firearm sale, which I just bought my first rifle, a Ruger SR-22 semi-automatic rifle.

Ruger_10-20.jpg

Last edited:
Reactions: hyson

hyson

Forum Jerk
Oct 19, 2008
Um, you went balls to the wall with that.

Well done.

Just don't put 22mm ammo in that... it's .22lr