Repairing your credit score.

MAJ Badmotherfarker

is drinking a beer.
Oct 11, 2008
Washington D.C.
Damn, I think I'm about an expert in this now! Got nailed with a ton of BS back in like 2004-2005 and it dropped my credit score into the mid-500's. Couldn't do anything back then because I really just didn't know what I was doing. Over the last few years though, I've been learning how to fix it and, as of yesterday, I hit 710. I have a few more things about to drop off that should put me up into the 750 range.

Feels good!!! Took years, but it's worth it.

HecticArt

Administrator
Oct 19, 2008
Toledo, Ohio
Any tips?
I haven't checked mine since I bought my house 10 years ago. I'm way over due.
I got a link from Money Magazine or someplace that lets you get it for free without having to join a service. I'll have to post that later.
Posted via Mobile Device

Biaviian

Nov 17, 2008
I'm in the high 700s and love it. I can get almost any loan I want (within reason of course) due to it.

HecticArt

Administrator
Oct 19, 2008
Toledo, Ohio
That takes you to the same place I found. The rest of the article has some fun ways that the man ties to keep you down.

I found this on CNN.com a while ago in an article about America’s Biggest Rip Offs.

There's nothing free about forking over $179 a year for information at Freecreditreport.com.

Instead you can go to AnnualCreditReport.com, which is run by the Federal Trade Commission, and get a truly free report once a year from each of the credit agencies: Equifax, Experian and TransUnion.

America's Biggest Rip-offs - Text messages - 6,500% markup (1) - CNNMoney.com

Make yourself some nice popcorn to enjoy while you read.

ProperModulation

Green Type of Tube
Oct 11, 2008
California
We worked hard to maximize our credit scores when we bought our house last year. Ended up around 780 and 810 or so. We bought a car a couple months ago and it was up to like 790 and 845! Not FICO but scores from whichever two bueareus (sp?) Honda checked. Couldn't believe it!
Posted via Mobile Device

Biaviian

Nov 17, 2008
You are only the 2nd person I've heard of having scores in the 800s. My parents are the other(s).

memebag

Top Brass, ADVP
Oct 11, 2008
Lake Huntzing
Mine is 766. The only way I can improve it at this point is to keep credit cards active for more time. I closed them all about 10 years ago when I got rid of all my debt. Turns out that wasn't the right thing to do.

ProperModulation

Green Type of Tube
Oct 11, 2008
California
Mine is 766. The only way I can improve it at this point is to keep credit cards active for more time. I closed them all about 10 years ago when I got rid of all my debt. Turns out that wasn't the right thing to do.
Yeah, it's better to keep them open so that your ratios are good. We paid off all debt to get our scores high. The weird thing was that they jumped up after we bought a house. I figured they would go down.
Posted via Mobile Device

MAJ Badmotherfarker

is drinking a beer.
Oct 11, 2008
Washington D.C.
That takes you to the same place I found. The rest of the article has some fun ways that the man ties to keep you down.

I found this on CNN.com a while ago in an article about America’s Biggest Rip Offs.

There's nothing free about forking over $179 a year for information at Freecreditreport.com.

Instead you can go to AnnualCreditReport.com, which is run by the Federal Trade Commission, and get a truly free report once a year from each of the credit agencies: Equifax, Experian and TransUnion.

America's Biggest Rip-offs - Text messages - 6,500% markup (1) - CNNMoney.com

Make yourself some nice popcorn to enjoy while you read.
I'm not sure if this is the same with most banks, but through USAA I can get unlimited credit monitoring for $8/month. For me, it's worth it right now because I've been checking my credit score every few days while things fall off.

MAJ Badmotherfarker

is drinking a beer.
Oct 11, 2008
Washington D.C.
Yeah, it's better to keep them open so that your ratios are good. We paid off all debt to get our scores high. The weird thing was that they jumped up after we bought a house. I figured they would go down.
Posted via Mobile Device
Yup and yup. I actually hurt my score a few years ago by canceling a bunch of old credit cards. Now I've recently opened up a new one that I plan on just letting sit there and mature. Also, houses definitely bring your score up. It's one of those things that makes you appear more "mature" to the credit companies and so they consider you less of a risk.

Biaviian

Nov 17, 2008
If you need a quick turn-around (I assume this is still a loophole) you can get yourself added as an authorized user to somebody's credit card. If they have 10 years of history on that card then you automatically have 10 years history too. A few years ago people were making big money by renting their credit cards to others.

ProperModulation

Green Type of Tube
Oct 11, 2008
California
I'm not sure if this is the same with most banks, but through USAA I can get unlimited credit monitoring for $8/month. For me, it's worth it right now because I've been checking my credit score every few days while things fall off.
How's the USAA credit monitoring? I've been using triplealert for a while now and it's been OK. In fact, it alerted me to a change in one of my credit card numbers before I was contacted by BofA (apparently some information got compromised at a third party so they automatically changed my cc# without telling me). Triple Alert monitors all three credit bureaus for changes but doesn't provide score information.

MAJ Badmotherfarker

is drinking a beer.
Oct 11, 2008
Washington D.C.
How's the USAA credit monitoring? I've been using triplealert for a while now and it's been OK. In fact, it alerted me to a change in one of my credit card numbers before I was contacted by BofA (apparently some information got compromised at a third party so they automatically changed my cc# without telling me). Triple Alert monitors all three credit bureaus for changes but doesn't provide score information.
The usaa monitoring service is awesome. Provides EVERYTHING... credit score, account history - complete details of everything. And you can update it to see your score daily for no charge.

ProperModulation

Green Type of Tube
Oct 11, 2008
California
That sounds pretty good. I'm going to have to check that out. Tripe alert is only $5 a month but doesn't give you all that.
Posted via Mobile Device