Recent Special Channels

SIRIUSaboutXM

DRC Special Contributor
Oct 29, 2008
Anderson, SC
I'm doing some Independent Contractor work for SXM and they asked me to get some input on their programming decisions for 2014. Your honest opinions will be appreciated and could greatly affect future SiriusXM pop-up channels.

**Please limit replies to Only if you have listened to any of these channels a minimum of 2 Hours**

The Pink Floyd Channel

Mandatory Metallica

St. Patty’s Day Radio

Lithium Remembers Kurt Cobain Week on Lithium

Mardi Gras Radio

20th anniversary of Weezer's 'Blue' album weekend on Lithium

Zakk’s Sack Takeover on Boneyard

Hair Nation's M3 Rock Festival Week Radio

The Michael Jackson Channel

Soundgarden’s Superunknown 20th Anniversary Super Deluxe Reissue Sneak Preview Week on SiriusXM’s Lithium

Martina McBride"s Everlasting Weekend

Club Redneck Riviera Radio- CMA Music Fest

Classic Rewind’s All-American Weekend

Paul Oakenfold's Perfecto Radio on Utopia

Classic Vinyl's Summer of 1969

Deep Tracks CSNY 1974 Weekend

Lithium’s Woodstock Weekend

Utopia Takeovers: Kylie Minogue, Basement Jaxx, RuPaul & Robyn

Comic Con Radio 2014

Reefer Radio- 50th anniversary of High Times Magazine & Mile High Celebration at the Denver County Fair

Classic Rewind’s Side 2 Song 1 Weekend

The Offspring’s ‘Smash’ 20th Anniversary Edition on Lithium

Brad Paisley Radio

Tom Petty Radio 2.0 for New album 'Hypnoyic Eye'

Godsmack Week on Octane

Classic Vinyl’s Labor Day Weekend Road Trip

Motley Radio 2.0- Farewell Tour & new Country Album

Farm Aid Radio 2014

Slash Week on Octane

Slash’s Boneyard on Fire Weekend

Tim McGraw’s Sundown Heaven Town Radio

Kenny Chesney's Big Revival Radio

KIX – Rock Your Face Off Weekend

Reactions: HecticArt

HecticArt

Administrator
Oct 19, 2008
Toledo, Ohio
I'm generally not into the single artist & pop up channels, but I'll give them a try now and then if they seem interesting.
I listened to Floyd for a couple of days. It was ok with the variety and depth.
Slash on Octane was good for 5 or 6 hours back and forth.
St. Patty's and Mardi Gras will get about 2 or 3 hours and that's about it.

I've listened to a couple of others for less than the minimum requirement but they couldn't keep me. The country and comedy don't get listened to at all.

goreds2

Oct 14, 2008
OH H.....EYE OH
Single artists channels are not bad if they last for a week or less. Beyond that, not good. We did listen to Kenny Chesney's Big Revival Radio Saturday night while playing cornhole. Cool channel as we heard the review of each song of his new album, the history of him writing his past hits plus the channel plays other artists. On Sunday, I heard some repeats. When a single artist channel starts to loop over and over....it is time to end it.

MadisonRadio1

MadisonRadio
Oct 17, 2008
Madison, Wisconsin
I only heard St. Patty's Day Radio. I'm sure they will bring it back.
I'm sorry I missed Classic Vinyl Summer of 69. That summer lasted forever.
Now they all go zoom zoom zoom

Kryptonite

Oct 21, 2008
I like when they do it this way:

Single Artist Channel online on special channel.
SAC temporarily on regular satellite channel like Octane or Liquid Metal or whatnot.
Regular programming on Octane, Liquid Metal, or whatnot on internet feed of channel.

I think the 40's channel was that way last winter. They had the Christmas programming on the satellite channel 4 and on a special channel online....but if you went to the 40's channel online, you got the regular 40s on 4 programming.

Honestly, the Pearl Jam channel is about the only channel I listen to. Some Lithium and occasionally Howard 100.

I know rock and pop sell and make the money, but it'd be great to see other channels.

And while you have their attention, tell them to bring back the following channels, if only online:
1) Super Shuffle -- pop/rock from 60s through now. Heck, throw in some occasional country, techno, rap as well.
2) Revolution -- PR release from channel launch here.

It'd be nice to get rid of the online "time out" thing. I wonder if people would pay $1 more per month to have the option. Make it like a "premium online" thing. My fear with that is that they'd take away the customization and make that premium as well.

blueneon36

Mar 10, 2009
Pittsburgh
I am all-in for Mandatory Metallica. I listened frequently over the past year when they were on SXM Internet Radio.

Some of the between song interviews and bumpers get old after listening to it repeatedly, but having that particular Single Artist Channel is amazing. I really enjoyed the special DEMO versions of some of their songs, which featured James Hetfield vocalizing words to the music. The demo of "Bleeding Me" was a great example of this.

And while you have the ears of the suits, please bring back Super Shuffle.

Sometimes I like Metal. Other times, I could be in the mood for Hip-Hop, Pop, Classic Rock, or even 90's Alternative all at the same time. Super Shuffle filled that gap for me. When it went off the air, it was hard to get used to not having that channel...

Kryptonite

Oct 21, 2008
I am all-in for Mandatory Metallica. I listened frequently over the past year when they were on SXM Internet Radio.

Some of the between song interviews and bumpers get old after listening to it repeatedly, but having that particular Single Artist Channel is amazing. I really enjoyed the special DEMO versions of some of their songs, which featured James Hetfield vocalizing words to the music. The demo of "Bleeding Me" was a great example of this.

And while you have the ears of the suits, please bring back Super Shuffle.

Sometimes I like Metal. Other times, I could be in the mood for Hip-Hop, Pop, Classic Rock, or even 90's Alternative all at the same time. Super Shuffle filled that gap for me. When it went off the air, it was hard to get used to not having that channel...

The demos for Memory and Unforgiven II are amazing if you're in to the "ya ya" fake lyrics. There's an early/different version of Fuel called "Fuel for Fire" which is more hunting-themed than car-themed.

Reactions: blueneon36

Kryptonite

Oct 21, 2008
The demos for Memory and Unforgiven II are amazing if you're in to the "ya ya" fake lyrics. There's an early/different version of Fuel called "Fuel for Fire" which is more hunting-themed than car-themed.

The Hero of the Day demo (Mouldy) had me enthralled back in the day. Hero was my go-to song when things weren't going right and I needed a "pick me up" song.

$30 on a six-song CD. Of course, I was the guy who bought the Japanese import versions AND the European versions which were the Japanese versions over three or four parts.

Just put this on 3:30 and let it ride.

Right about 3:15 or so. For some reason, I'm into those "false endings" like that.

Reactions: Casual Fan

SIRIUSaboutXM

DRC Special Contributor
Oct 29, 2008
Anderson, SC
Halloween edition of Walk The Dog

SiriusXM wants your feedback in order to plan early for next year's events. Please rate 0-10 as 0 being "Please dont ever do this again" and 10 as "Loved it- makes my subscription more worthy!"

Rockbar: Halloween Spirits

Scream Radio

Trick or Treat Radio

Cinemagic: BIG SCARE !!

Gary Wright: Guest DJ on Ch 7

Octane:
Motionless In White Halloween

Classic Rewind: Guitar Slingers Halloween Playlist

Ozzy's Boneyard: Ultimate Sinner Halloween Weekend

Chill: Haunted Halloween Mixtape

1st Wave: Richard Blade’s Witching Playlist

Rob Zombie's Great American Nightmare Halloween Concert Special

Allman Brothers Band Final Concert Broadcast

Lithium's Unplugged Weekend

70son7: The Amazing Kreskin: Halloween Hits Countdown

Electric Area: Pier Of Fear NYC

Symphony Hall: Cinemagic on Satellite

The Loft: Loft After Dark: Halloween

Soul Town: Uptown Scary Soul Countdown

The Village
Top Ten Folk Ghosts Songs

SIRIUSaboutXM

DRC Special Contributor
Oct 29, 2008
Anderson, SC
Here's the feedback I submitted:

Gary Wright Gust DJ:
10+ By far, my favorite show!! On paper, it didn't look all that special, but the stories he shared were absolutely priceless! I didnt know that was his piano intro on Harry Nilsson's- Without You as well as on many George Harrison & Ringo Starr solo projects right after the Beatles broke up. And the stories about all the studio sessions with them and many other great artists was truly inspirational and educational- Best DJ session for 70so7 EVER!! Please run more of these great shows Sirius!

Allman Brothers Band Final Concert Broadcast
10- I enjoyed this very much What a fantastic sounding show and very sad to see them go- SXM"s FB lit up with very positive remarks about this landmark event.

Lithium's Unplugged Weekend
9- Those killer slowed-down versions of the classics hit the spot for me all weekend!

Rockbar Halloween Spirits
8- Great spooky rockin' songs with great drink ideas for mixing the perfect Halloween shots!

Scream Radio
0- Sounding like crap on satellite 9- Sounded fantastic on the app! Great mix of spooky sounds and great tunes taylor made for the perfect Holiday soundtrack!

Cinemagic BIG SCARE !!
9- Always one of my favorite Halloween soundtracks!

Reactions: HecticArt

HecticArt

Administrator
Oct 19, 2008
Toledo, Ohio
I hate to say it, but I wasn't able to listen to any of those since I was traveling for work. I caught just a little Rock Bar and Lithium, but not enough really count.

SIRIUSaboutXM

DRC Special Contributor
Oct 29, 2008
Anderson, SC
Attention All: Almost all these shows are On Demand- no excuses now!

Remember- this is not to benefit SXM or me- This is entirely a chance to improve programming.

SIRIUSaboutXM

DRC Special Contributor
Oct 29, 2008
Anderson, SC
This will be the last time I ever bother you guys. Obviously not enough interest to provide any useful feedback for this request. Thanks to the few who took the time to follow the instructions I relayed.

Please take this as serious sincere constructive criticism. You should strongly consider changing the name of your forum. I've received reports & noticed quite a few times, that people looking for information about SiriusXM and other topics related to the term "Digital Radio", have gotten your website when using Google or other search engines. Since most TSS employees and other people who were familiar with Satellite radio and the SXM Internet features are longer active at DRC, that kind of help is longer available on your site which disqualifies the term "Central". It's obvious without a doubt that most of your members are no longer interested in SiriusXM and I respect that- Since Sirius took over XM, many things have gone downhill. Since this is now a Social Club, you should come up with a new cool name that better describes your content.

For my final observation, I really enjoyed reading through the "Satellite Radio- Free" thread- very entertaining. Some good points, but a lot of misconceptions also that were Not discussed:

1) Numbers mean absolutely nothing compared to how it sounds to your ears!

2) Sound quality has greatly improved recently due to several channels being dropped and increasing bandwidth. They had problems with all the new channel changes at first, but with increased complaints, we got the engineers to keep tweaking until they now have it sounding better than it ever has since the 2008 merger. Just tune to Holiday Traditions and see for yourself- and for the 1st time its in Stereo!!

3) Sat Radio can be hooked up many ways> in order of sound quality- 1) FM transmitter 2) cassette adapter 3) aux input 4) And a way I just stumbled upon: Bluetooth- I replaced my Lynx cardock in my vehicle with a Bluetooth Home Dock so I could stream my iPhone audio through it to my audio system. I didn't ever listen to satellite until this week when the Holiday channels started- Wow! huge difference. I know not many have a Lynx, but I'm sure you could figure some way to incorporate a Bluetooth adapter to your system for about $20.

4) On the other side, no one discussed cell phone providers new pricing options. Nowadays, you can get cheaper prices if you look around and negotiate.

5) And speaking of negotiating- you can get fantastic deals on a SXM subscription if you be nice.

Peace out- live long & prosper!

Reactions: Ehilbert1

Ehilbert1

Ooh-Rah!!!!
Oct 13, 2008
Columbus, OH
This will be the last time I ever bother you guys. Obviously not enough interest to provide any useful feedback for this request. Thanks to the few who took the time to follow the instructions I relayed.

Please take this as serious sincere constructive criticism. You should strongly consider changing the name of your forum. I've received reports & noticed quite a few times, that people looking for information about SiriusXM and other topics related to the term "Digital Radio", have gotten your website when using Google or other search engines. Since most TSS employees and other people who were familiar with Satellite radio and the SXM Internet features are longer active at DRC, that kind of help is longer available on your site which disqualifies the term "Central". It's obvious without a doubt that most of your members are no longer interested in SiriusXM and I respect that- Since Sirius took over XM, many things have gone downhill. Since this is now a Social Club, you should come up with a new cool name that better describes your content.

For my final observation, I really enjoyed reading through the "Satellite Radio- Free" thread- very entertaining. Some good points, but a lot of misconceptions also that were Not discussed:

1) Numbers mean absolutely nothing compared to how it sounds to your ears!

2) Sound quality has greatly improved recently due to several channels being dropped and increasing bandwidth. They had problems with all the new channel changes at first, but with increased complaints, we got the engineers to keep tweaking until they now have it sounding better than it ever has since the 2008 merger. Just tune to Holiday Traditions and see for yourself- and for the 1st time its in Stereo!!

3) Sat Radio can be hooked up many ways> in order of sound quality- 1) FM transmitter 2) cassette adapter 3) aux input 4) And a way I just stumbled upon: Bluetooth- I replaced my Lynx cardock in my vehicle with a Bluetooth Home Dock so I could stream my iPhone audio through it to my audio system. I didn't ever listen to satellite until this week when the Holiday channels started- Wow! huge difference. I know not many have a Lynx, but I'm sure you could figure some way to incorporate a Bluetooth adapter to your system for about $20.

4) On the other side, no one discussed cell phone providers new pricing options. Nowadays, you can get cheaper prices if you look around and negotiate.

5) And speaking of negotiating- you can get fantastic deals on a SXM subscription if you be nice.

Peace out- live long & prosper!

I've always appreciated you. Thanks for everything you've done.

Sent from my Galaxy Note 4