question about online ID access

mcf57

Dec 5, 2008
I have a relative who currently has a Stratus 7 SIRIUS radio in her car. It is on a yearly plan, she enjoys it and everything works great. She is now looking to try and get SIRIUS in her current home which is a condo. I was going to help her and originally thought maybe we would have to run an antenna to a window with a clear southern view (or whatever direction it is) in order to hook up a satellite radio to her stereo system.

However, I now think the better option for her (especially since she is in a condo) is to just get a internet based SIRIUS radio (like the GRACE ones I see). Since she has wireless internet, would just do this and hook it up to her stereo instead. From my understanding, this would require an online ID subscription of about $4/month, correct? If so, I was also thinking that she could use this online ID with her new Samsung Galaxy S4 smartphone as well and use this in the car (instead of current Stratus 7).

My question is this; can 1 online ID easily be shared between these two internet devices? I realize only one can be going at a time. Will the GRACE radio require a re-login EVERYTIME the smartphone app is used (most likely in the car)? or will the GRACE radio always remember it and no need to keep logging in no matter where she uses the ID (only one at a time)?

If this is possible and easy, I also realize she would have to pay the full $12.95/month rate for only this online ID if she winds up cancelling the Stratus 7 account. Just looking at options for her. Or I guess I could "add" her to my account for only $4/month since I have multiple radios for our vehicles

Last edited:

HecticArt

Administrator
Oct 19, 2008
Toledo, Ohio
I can answer part of it for you. The one user name and password can be shared between her cell phone and the Grace unit. (But like you said, not at the same time.). She would also be able to use the phone in the car with the proper connection to the cars stereo. My phone remembers my password, so I don't have to type it every time, but the log on screen appears every time.

I use my Lynx at work, and can't put an antenna outside. I have one that sits in the window and it does a pretty good job. Every now and then, depending on the weather, it may occasionally cut out for a second. Enough to notice, but not enough to be bothersome. If she is still paying for the Stratus, it can't hurt to try it.

Kryptonite

Oct 21, 2008
I have a relative who currently has a Stratus 7 SIRIUS radio in her car. It is on a yearly plan, she enjoys it and everything works great. She is now looking to try and get SIRIUS in her current home which is a condo. I was going to help her and originally thought maybe we would have to run an antenna to a window with a clear southern view (or whatever direction it is) in order to hook up a satellite radio to her stereo system.

However, I now think the better option for her (especially since she is in a condo) is to just get a internet based SIRIUS radio (like the GRACE ones I see). Since she has wireless internet, would just do this and hook it up to her stereo instead. From my understanding, this would require an online ID subscription of about $4/month, correct? If so, I was also thinking that she could use this online ID with her new Samsung Galaxy S4 smartphone as well and use this in the car (instead of current Stratus 7).

My question is this; can 1 online ID easily be shared between these two internet devices? I realize only one can be going at a time. Will the GRACE radio require a re-login EVERYTIME the smartphone app is used (most likely in the car)? or will the GRACE radio always remember it and no need to keep logging in no matter where she uses the ID (only one at a time)?

If this is possible and easy, I also realize she would have to pay the full $12.95/month rate for only this online ID if she winds up cancelling the Stratus 7 account. Just looking at options for her. Or I guess I could "add" her to my account for only $4/month since I have multiple radios for our vehicles

Why not just get this?
SIRIUS Dock and Play Home Kit SUPH1 | TSS-Radio

She's save money, but she'd lose out on the xtra channels and all that. Of course, if she goes the phone route, she could get a device made by ISimple that connects her phone and Sirius radio to the car...professional installation recommended, FWIW.

mcf57

Dec 5, 2008
I thought about this as well, but two reasons for NOT doing it. She has already said she doesn't want to mess with constantly bringing the radio in/out of the car. This of course could also be an issue for my smartphone idea. Will see when I tell her about it. Seeing as it would be cheaper, she might be willing to try using the smartphone app in the car for a bit and see how it goes.

The other reason is running that antenna in her highrise condo could be a "challenge" as I am not sure if some if the windows she has have a clear & unobstructed view of the required skyline. and since its a condo, the antenna can't be installed on the outside of the unit either. Again, an internet based radio is the easier option for her indoor radio.

tssrichard

May 17, 2010
You should be able to use your internet subscription on as many devices as you want so long as they are capable. The only thing is, you can only use the subscription on one device at a time, if you try to turn on a second device it will kick you off of the first.

mcf57

Dec 5, 2008
Actually, I would like to know this too. This relative of mine has decided they don't want to mess with using the smartphone app in the car & just continue using the regular radio so we don't have to worry about that.

They do want to get a GRACE radio for their home stereo so will still need to acquire an online ID of some kind. I think they might want to use the smartphone app at times for personal listening too.

Therefore, I am wondering if the GRACE radio will require a login after every time they might use the smartphone app. I realize the two can't technically be used at the same time, but I also don't want to be "kicked off" and have to re-login on the GRACE radio every time the smartphone or online ID is used. We want to just have it operate like any other stereo component and it just works when selected on the stereo receiver without any complications.

Any insight on this?