Question about Install

mikewidd

Mar 13, 2010
Pa.
I just purchased a second radio for my conversion van. As most of you know the top is completely fiberglass. My question is....Does the magnet antenna have to be attached to metal for any type of grounding purpose or just to secure it.

Could I use a double sided tape in place of not having a metal roof.

Any and all suggestions are welcome, thanks in advance

Mike

Reactions: Aaron

jef

Power Pig, Hello!
Oct 12, 2008
I'm pretty sure you can secure it in any way you need to. In fact, I've read about many installs where the person just placed the antenna on the dashboard or on the deck in the back window. I had 2 home kits that just used a plain jane car-style antenna stuck to a plastic adapter that I screwed down outside. No grounding involved there, either.

HecticArt

Administrator
Oct 19, 2008
Toledo, Ohio
If you can find something on the roof to stick the magnet too you'll be in the best place. The great thing is, is that you can experiment and move the thing around if your results aren't what you would hope for. The magnet for the dot antenna is pretty strong, did you check to see if it will stick to a metal rib through the fiberglass? Or possible a metal plate that you hold up to the roof from the inside? It's all worth a shot.

mikewidd

Mar 13, 2010
Pa.
There is nothing on the roof that is remotely even metallic. Nowhere inside to put a plate, with the light switches and everything. There is a inch and a half band between the windshield and the fiberglass top. I'm not sure if that would work. Are the antenna's directional, If I just stuck it high up on the side of the body?

HecticArt

Administrator
Oct 19, 2008
Toledo, Ohio
Facing up is the best, but it can't hurt to try it on the side. Since it's a magnet, the worst that happens is that you get poor reception when you're driving in certain directions. If that happens, you just pull into a parking lot and move it. Like the other posters have said, try the dash too. It may work well like it has for them. I'm not sure where you are located (near a city, or out in the burbs) but that will make a difference too, cities have the repeaters that help a lot. I don't know of anybody that has tried adhesive to hold down an antenna, but I imagine that it would work if you found the right type. There has to be some good automotive type of stuff that should do the trick. The stuff they use to glue down trim and bubble mirrors might work.

I'm sure some other posters here will have something to offer too. Keep us posted on how you do, and welcome to the DRC!

mikewidd

Mar 13, 2010
Pa.
The Van has a factory radio with no cassette player, So that option will not work for me. I'm just gonna try to experiment with it, and see what happens. That's if this monsoon were in ever stops.

I'm in the suburbs of philadelphia, reception in my truck is normally pretty good.
We all have our days.

thanks for all the replies, Hopefully we'll get this figured out